PDA

View Full Version : When do clearance sales for 2003 car seats and strollers usually happen?

mominjune
12-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Hi! I am new to this board and have learned so much from it! I was wondering if anyone could tell me when to expect clearance sales for 2003 models to be at their peak? From this board I've been learning about and picking out which models I want, and am not sure whether to wait until after the first of the year to buy, or to buy now. Right now still feels "too early" since this is my first baby, and not due until June. But, for example, if the SnugRide Cobalt Blue car seat at Babycenter.com for $89.95 is a deal I shouldn't pass up b/c it probably won't be there in January... Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks in advance!!

-New Mom in June

brittone2
12-09-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm due in February, so I'm fairly new to this game, but I think it sort of a "rolling" thing. It just depends on the manufacturer. Some new strollers that are 04 models are already out, others won't be out until spring or later. I purchased a 04 Inglesina Zippy stroller and received it a few weeks ago. The 03s were being discounted online back in November I believe (although I've been to several brick and mortar retail stores still selling the 03s at full price as they don't have the 04s in stock yet). I don't think the new Pegs come out until Spring so I haven't seen a ton of the P3s on sale yet.

As far as carseats, I'm not totally sure when the new models come out for the snugride, etc. I did buy a Britax Galaxy convertible seat as a 2nd seat at babycenter as this seat is being discontinued (very similar to the roundabout, with a little less height built in due to lower slots, but there is nothing wrong with the seat, it just didn't sell as well as the better known Roundabout) for $114 vs. $230. One of the fabrics (thunder) was known for being very scratchy, another reason it didn't sell well, but the other fabric (alexandra) is nice and soft. That is the one we ordered, although now it is sold out at babycenter I believe in that fabric.

I'm not sure that there is a particular time of the year that you'll find the old models on sale or not. I think it just goes from manufacturer to manufacturer, but i could be wrong. I would think after the new year and into spring quite a few things will go on sale though as far as old models if you want to wait since you have some time yet.

Hopefully someone else will have more specific advice...this is my first time around with all of this!

Beth

mominjune
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Beth,

Thanks for your input! I think I've just been getting too excited reading these boards and picking out all the things I want. Your car seat sounds like a terrific deal! :) I think I will have to take a chance and hang on a little longer before I make my purchases. What you said makes sense, there probably will be rolling sales, and as supplies dwindle on the 2003 models, there probaby will be less selection but maybe better prices? Here I am answering my own question. :) Just want to get feedback and opinions- thanks for yours!

P.S. Was there something you liked about the 04 Zippy better than the 03?

skygoddess
12-09-2003, 05:32 PM
I found some great deals this past January on some 2002 strollers that were being clearanced, particularly online. I picked up a 2002 Maclaren Quest for 1/2 off (can't remember which website anymore) that I absolutely love, and a friend bought a Combi Ultra Savvy for 1/2 off at the same time. I also remember seeing discounted strollers and carseats at Target and TRU during the Jan/Feb timeframe. I don't know if this is the case every year, though, but I'm planning to look for sales again next month.

HTH,
Nancy

brittone2
12-09-2003, 08:54 PM
Just to answer about the 04 zippy, the 04 has some nice improvements...
one of the biggest is an improved, larger canopy (lots of people were unhappy w/ the zippy canopy in the past. THere is a larger basket now. The colors/upholstery are all new (I like the new colors), the canopy no longer includes a built in rainshield however (I ordered through marilyn at arunningstroller.com, and she included a zip over cover that fits inglesinas, macs, etc. for free since zippy originally said the cover would be included, then pulled that statement just before they came out. Since she also put it on her website, she decided to include the cover for free). You can lock the rear wheels with your foot, which I think you weren't able to do on the earlier models (I think you had to bend over??).

Just wanted to share:) I love my new zippy...now I just need the baby to put in it:)

Beth

mominjune
12-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks Nancy and Beth!

Nancy- That was just what I wanted to hear- that someone got good deals on strollers and things in Jan/Feb last year. I am looking foward to shopping after Christmas.

Beth- I am sure you will really enjoy your new stroller, it sounds wonderful! Thanks for answering all my questions!

-New Mom in June

skygoddess
12-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Glad to help you! I forgot to suggest earlier that you check ebay as well. I remember seeing a lot of NIB strollers there at great prices last January too.

Good luck!
Nancy

ethansmom
12-16-2003, 09:11 PM
I made out like a bandit last January! www.babyage.com had the Combi Ultra Savy 2002 for 1/2 off. Also, BRU had great clearance at the front of the store! I got my bedding set for 2/3 off...saw it this summer for only 1/2 off - go figure!

I didn't get my snugride on clearance, but we got ours sometime around March (I think) and it was a style new to BRU. I'm sure if you call Graco they'd tell you when they release the introduce the new models.