PDA

View Full Version : Cheap OTC medications

SASM
01-07-2004, 02:04 AM
LITTLE KNOWN SECRET: Larger hospitals usually have an outpatient pharmacy that sells OTC meds (both generic and brand name) SUPER CHEAP!!! The selection is usually somewhat limited but the prices usually cannot be beat. Some hospitals only sell to employees and/or patients, but sometimes they will sell to the general public :)

For instance, today I bought a generic 4 oz. guifenesin (plain Robitussin ~ to help with conception, ladies!) for $1.80!! Cannot beat that price :) They also had two or three other variations of generic Robitussins and several other brand name syrups, Children's Tylenol, etc. Among other things, I used to buy huge bottles of Extra Strength TYLENOL at my previous employer for $2! They also had a variety of oral contraceptive brands for a lot less than I'd pay elsewhere AND I didn't need a script! The variety and prices can be MIND-BLOWING!!

Like I said, the variety and policies vary greatly from hospital to hospital, but they are soooo worth checking out!! Very few people know about this ~ even employees.

HTH!!!

hellokitty
01-07-2004, 04:36 PM
You're right, our hospital does have a small list of OTC meds for a reasonable price that you can buy from the pharmacy counter, but I always thought it was only for employees (I used to work at the hospital). I have a question for you though. How did you get oral contraceptives w/o a script?

SASM
01-07-2004, 06:39 PM
It was just the hospital that I worked at. If I remember correctly (it has been 5.5 years), they had ~7-8 different kinds to choose from and I just told them what type I wanted. They never checked for a script and I could buy as many as I wanted (I think that I bought an 8 months supply before I left!). They were super cheap (it was just the foil pack without a case ~ no big deal), exactly the kind that I used, and one EXCELLENT opportunity!! :) I don't know if that was a perk of being an employee ~ they never checked for an ID, BUT I was always wearing scrubs and had my ID around my neck. Check your hospital's OP pharmacy ~ ya never know!! :)

Good luck!

hellokitty
01-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks! I will have to ask DH next time he is at work (he works at the hospital I used to work at), to get a new list of meds that the pharmacy will sell to employees/public. Happy to hear you got a good deal!