PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a battery thing on 1 side and cigarette lighter that goes in car on other

kayleesmom
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
I am looking for something that will work on kaylees dvd player on the plane. but a batttery for it is 70.00

does anyone know if they sell a thing that has on 1 side like AA batteries or something. and then other end you plug in the part that would be go into your cigarette lighter in the car.

Thanks

kayleesmom
I am looking for something that will work on kaylees dvd player on the plane. but a batttery for it is 70.00

does anyone know if they sell a thing that has on 1 side like AA batteries or something. and then other end you plug in the part that would be go into your cigarette lighter in the car.

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

kayleesmom

Thanks

ELIAIDMOM
06-17-2006, 05:30 PM
Have you tried calling Radio Shack - they usually have all kind of gizmos that you cannot find anywhere else.

ELIAIDMOM
Have you tried calling Radio Shack - they usually have all kind of gizmos that you cannot find anywhere else.

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

ELIAIDMOM

Dyonia
06-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Donna's DH doing the typing again.

What you are looking for would be something that takes 8 AA batteries. Each battery from AAA to D output 1.5 Volts and when hooked up in series you add the voltages together. 8 * 1.5 = 12 Volts, what a car battery supplies.

You might be able to find a device (Radio Shack as mentioned above would be your best bet) already made for this purpose, but building your own using the basic parts may be required:

project box to hold 8 batteries in series
cigarette lighter socket
electronics soldering supplies
someone with a little electronics soldering experience

AA batteries wouldn't supply a DVD player with power for very long, unless the player was engineered to be very low power consuming. It would be interesting to try it out though. C batteries would output for quite a while longer but heavier. D batteries even longer than that but probably weigh more than the player itself.

Another option that I just thought of is something like a 'battery booster' device. It's meant to be carried in the car and used to boost your own battery if you leave the lights on or something by plugging it into the cig lighter socket for 5 minutes or so and it back-charges the battery enough to start. Improvements Catalog has them for $30. I have one around here that I received a while ago and have used it for a similar purpose being to charge a cell phone when I didn't have the house charger handy.

Link to the item on Improvements site:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product=152393zz&dept%5Fid=12510

BTW, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO THE OTHER DADDY LURKERS ON THE BOARD!!!!

Nate

Dyonia

What you are looking for would be something that takes 8 AA batteries. Each battery from AAA to D output 1.5 Volts and when hooked up in series you add the voltages together. 8 * 1.5 = 12 Volts, what a car battery supplies.

You might be able to find a device (Radio Shack as mentioned above would be your best bet) already made for this purpose, but building your own using the basic parts may be required:

cigarette lighter socket

AA batteries wouldn't supply a DVD player with power for very long, unless the player was engineered to be very low power consuming. It would be interesting to try it out though. C batteries would output for quite a while longer but heavier. D batteries even longer than that but probably weigh more than the player itself.

Another option that I just thought of is something like a 'battery booster' device. It's meant to be carried in the car and used to boost your own battery if you leave the lights on or something by plugging it into the cig lighter socket for 5 minutes or so and it back-charges the battery enough to start. Improvements Catalog has them for $30. I have one around here that I received a while ago and have used it for a similar purpose being to charge a cell phone when I didn't have the house charger handy.

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate

Dyonia

cigarette lighter socket

Nate