PDA

View Full Version : The grocery game

corrie23
07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't really know why I'm suddenly posting this, but I know people have asked about thegrocerygame.com on here before, and I just wanted to say that I've been using it since January, and I think that it's awesome. It took a while to see the actual dollar savings (because I was "stockpiling" so much) but at this point, the cupboards are full, the pantry is full, the freezer(s) are full, the fridge(s) are full, the linen closets are full, the donation bag is full, etc. and we are still spending a good 50% less on groceries, household items, health/beauty items than we used to.

For a little background, we cloth diaper, eat minimal prepared/processed foods, and I include our organic farm CSA share in our weekly expenses (and we are STILL saving). Although we don't often use items like soda, plasticware, snack mixes, etc. we are well prepared for a party at a moment's notice (e.g. I have 8 12-packs of soda and about 20 2Ls, 30 pags of snack mix, and cups/plates/bowls in droves) all of which I got for free or nearly free (really, I did, and all TOTALLY on the up and up).

I guess I'm mentioning this now because it seems like a lot of stores are really pushing baby items this month and there look to be a lot of great deals to be had on diapers, wipes, baby care items, etc. Anyway, the site does offer a very low cost 4-week trial (don't want to post specifics here because I don't want to look like I'm spamming) but someone here posted that you can get a 6 week trial for the same price with the coupon code MM1. Worked for me back in Jan. Not sure if it's still active, but you can give it a shot.

Their message board is helpful for learning the ropes, but if you want a crash course, you can pm me and I'll forward an email I wrote to a friend detailing it with all my tips and such.

-C

kelle1996
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
That code is not valid anymore... Bummer! Know where I could find a new one?

corrie23
07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh, sorry 'bout that. I tried to do a quick google search to see if I could find another code, but I couldn't. Like I said, I got the code secondhand back in Jan. so I'm not sure where it came from initially. Nevertheless, I still think the 4 week trial is worth doing for the price. I personally collected coupons from the Sunday paper for a few weeks before starting the trial so that I'd have some to reference when I got my first lists, but if you're already a coupon clipper (which I wasn't) or you just want to jump right in and see what it's like starting with that weekend's paper, you can do the trial right away.

Also (although I'm sure you already figured this out) it's worth doing all of the stores available to you for the trial period, because it's the same price no matter how many lists you select for the trial.

kelle1996
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
I just signed up for the trial anyway. I am not coupon clipper so I should have clipped some before starting but I am headed to the store today was eager to get started!
Send me your email and I will put you down as a referal.
~kelle

corrie23
07-11-2006, 03:38 PM
You've got mail!

-C

corrie23
07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
If you requested my "tips sheet" it has been sent. One email came back as undeliverable, so if you asked for it but didn't get it, please PM me here so that I can PM you here.

Thanks!
-Corrie

corrie23
07-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Sorry, I know I've sent the tip sheet to many of you, and I've lost track of who....I forgot to mention in the "tip" sheet that I file my coupons by insert-basically I just stick the weekly coupon inserts in a file folder and date it. Then when I get my list, it tells me where to find to coupons I need (e.g. coupon for brand X mustard is in the June 4th Valassis insert) and I just pull the right inserts and cut the coupons I need for that trip to the store. It's very quick and a BIG timesaver over cutting and filing all of the coupons, and then needing to weed out expireds. The downside is you MIGHT go to a store and find some random item on clearance for which you know there was a coupon, but you don't have the Q on you at the time. For me, the timesavings offset that possibility.

Anyway, hope that's helpful.
-C