PDA

View Full Version : Starting to think about Chrismas

msharrow
07-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Here it is July and I am starting to think about what I'd like to get for my two year old for Christmas. I am thinking Hooked on Phonics because I really want him to get a head start on reading and maybe a few other small items like DVDs and cartridges for some toys he already has. What is the best price you've seen on the Hooked on Phonics beginning reader package and is anyone else besides me thinking about Christmas?

jd11365
07-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm a teacher, the HOF is crapola. Spend your money on some good books instead and read to him every day. You will create a reader in no time!

thomma
07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Jamie-
You took the words right out of my mouth. Except maybe I would've just said crap and not crapola. :)

Kim (also a teacher)
t&e 5/03

kcimato
07-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Teacher here too. Just read ,read,read.

nightbird1103
07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
ITA with the others about the hooked on phonics. You may also want to get some read along books just for a change of pace. We have a winnie the pooh exercise book like that and dd loves it. We also got the ABC cd/dvd set from They Might Be Giants (they have videos occasionally on playhouse disney. It really got dd interested in letters and words. Now she tries to read everything (she really just says random letters when she sees a word, but it's a start!)
I've also been thinking about the holidays. I just bought a kidcraft transportation city with the table for dd. I now have until Christmas to clear out enough stuff so that we have room for it. LOL.

msharrow
07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all of the great responses. My son can sing the alphabet and already recognizes most of the letters. Question for the teachers, what's the best way to introduce words and are there specific books (brands) that I should be looking for. I am a bit disturbed by some newspaper articles that I've seen within the last week about how far boys are behind girls in reading especially at the older ages. I want to be sure I get him off to a good start and that we continue along with it.

Since you guys knocked that off my list, I am a little stumped about what else to get. He has every thing (tons of books, little race cars, trike, movies, dvds, Thomas lego train set, leap frog, etc.) since I have a hard time closing my purse...

jd11365
07-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is an interesting article about boys and reading...
http://www.connectforkids.org/node/443

Boys tend to enjoy expository vs narrative, though females are the opposite. Who *usually* reads to children? Moms and teachers...teachers who are *usually* female. I suggest making daily trips to the library to let him choose books he enjoys. When reading the books, point out all kinds of things and label them, including adjectives, to give him a stronger vocabulary, which is often neglected. Heck, do the same at the grocery store! Look at the difference between a peach and a nectarine. Is it smooth? Fuzzy? Lighter? Darker? One of the Kindergarten readiness tests is giving a child a button and asking him/her to describe it. You'd be surprised to know students don't have the vocabulary to do such a simple task! You can use this (http://www.sanchezclass.com/reading-beforeduringafter.htm) as a guide as to what to ask him before/during/after reading when he gets a little older, too. Honestly, there really isn't anything you can "buy" to get him to read, except for your time. Reading every day is critical. He will learn directionality, intonation, fluency, vocablulary...so much more...and of course a love of reading!

If you feel the need, I saw HOF at Sam's club for $30 bucks...just the pre-k part. Personally, I looked inside and really feel it's a waste of money. I promise. If your son likes DVDs, the Leapfog Letter Factory is pretty good, IMO.

kcimato
07-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Jamie gave you a lot of good information.At our school, we use the before.during and after reading strategies .That is an excellent chart. We have one that is simlilar.

Another thing you can do before you introduce the book is "read the pictures". Go through the book and talk about what is happening on each page. Also try to make a connection to the story. We went to Gatlinburg with my granddaughter during spring break and stayed in a cabin. I read Goldilocks to her afterward and asked if that little house in the woods reminded her of anything. Then asked if we saw any bears on our trip.

We use a lot of non fiction books for our kids at school also. If you read a book on butterflies ask what they think they aready know about butterflies. At the end ask them what they learned about butterflies that they already didn't know.

All of these things aid in comprehension which is what we are looking for. Please stay away from workbooks.

One suggestion is that you could get some index cards and label objects in the house, door, stove,fireplace window etc. After a while take them down mix them up, lay them on the floor and ask your child to find window. You'd be surprised at what they know.

kelly ann
07-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you Jamie for the links and all the great info.

msharrow
07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes, thank you for all the information. I greatly appreciate it.

mom to little e
07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
I think your suggestion is awesome! DS is three in November and knows all of his letters and letter sounds. Do you think this is too early to do this-it sounds like something that could be a lot of fun!?

>One suggestion is that you could get some index cards and
>label objects in the house, door, stove,fireplace window etc.
>After a while take them down mix them up, lay them on the
>floor and ask your child to find window. You'd be surprised at
>what they know.
>

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

kcimato
07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Not too early at all.

kijip
07-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Trying to get kids to read too early can set up a lot of problems IMO. I do know some kids that read remarkably early however all of the parents I know socially and through work that tried to cultivate early reading through kits/flashcards/special methods failed. IMO it is somewhat like potty training- it happens when it happens. You can set it in motion with lots of reading (or with potty training with lots of access to the potty and reminders) but if the kid is not ready, they just are not going to do it. And trying to force it can delay it/cause friction and fights needlessly. My son has neither HOP or any real reading tools other than books and that Leap frog word whammer thing and he is certainly very early on reading and reading related skills. I frankly don't think there is any reason for that other than genes and access to lots of reading time/books. By genes, I mean that my husband was an early reader. However, I was not. I actually read quite late (summer after 2nd grade!) despite all the efforts of my parents. And my husband and I are equally excellent readers now ;)

I think a big batch of fun books would be a better Chritmas present. And some fun toys!

emschwar
07-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Slightly OT, but how is the word whammer? Noah's showing lots of signs of being an early reader (DH and I were as well) and we've looked at the word whammer, but weren't sure if it was useful.

kijip
07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Toby loves it. It is on the fridge and I would say he uses it 3-5 times a week for at least 10 minutes at a pop. I purchased him one because he was really into playing with it at his friend's houses. I can't say it was a bad way to spend $19 (sale). I figure I always knew I would have letters on the fridge and this is just a jazzier version of that.

aliceinwonderland
07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Jamie:
Thanks for this post. While the reverse is true for us (DH does most of the reading, etc.) some of the stuff you say is very true for my boy-kid :)

mamicka
07-18-2006, 09:41 AM
We do most of the things that have been suggested here with the exception of the index card thing - I love that idea.

>Please stay away from workbooks.

But DS also *loves* workbooks. Could you explain why they are a bad thing?

Thanks for your knowledge & expertise!

Allison

emschwar
07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks. We already have the fridge phonics, but maybe we'll add the word whammer for christmas.