PDA

View Full Version : ISO Great deal on new Little Tykes car

ShanaMama
07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
I am dying to get my 1 yo this car, but can't bring myself to spend $60 -$70 on it. The similar car by Step 2 is only $40 but lacks one major feature: LT has a removable floor, so DD can really use it till she's 4-5. Step 2 is only pushable by parent, once the child is old enough to drive on their own, it's over. To me the $20 diff is worth it, but I wish I could find a better deal!
I've been scouring Craigslist, etc. - I don't even mind second hand. But I think its a brand new model, so no used ones around yet.
Anyone spot a deal? I'd love you!!! :>

Update: I couldn't get the picture on the post, but it's in the attachement. TIA

AmyZ
07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
We have that same one. I searched for hours/days trying to find it cheaper. I finally bought it from Little Tikes directly. I signed up with their b'day club, or something and got 10% off. Shipping was only about $10 bec. we are in Pittsburgh - close to Ohio. We never really used the floor board (we keep it car in the house), but the handle is very handy! Good luck with your search - I have not really seen this model around - I think most people just get the regular cozy coupe.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ShanaMama
07-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I think Little Tikes list price is actually higher than Toys R Us, but all the sites I checked were around the same area. When did you buy it? I wasn't sure if it's a brand new model that won't be marked down anywhere?
The reason I want it so much is I like the handle & floorboard, and that it becomes the basic cozy coupe when removed. I love taking DD outside, and this seems like a great riding toy that would last a few years.
Oh- and like five of my neighbors have it!! Nothing like a little green eyed monster!! LOL

AmyZ
07-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, ours is about 1.5 years old, so they have been around for a little while. I don't think they really ever go on sale. It is a popular item, so I doubt that waiting until the end of the season will help... but you never know! Good luck!!

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

ShanaMama
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks.
I searched Craigslist & Ebay last night. I did find some older models... but I want the new one! I don't want one that's scratched and missing all the decals! Why can't I have my cake & eat it too?! ;)

Mirthful
07-25-2006, 10:29 PM
I totally hear you on this! I spent close to a month looking for this car, waiting for a coupon code or a sale and never found one. The problem is that not very many stores even carry this model. What I finally ended up doing was finding a local retailer that had it so at least I didn't have to pay shipping. When I was looking I got the impression that it's actually an older model (reviews go back to 2003) and that's why it wasn't widely available.

In terms of the toy itself - my DD still loves it after 7 months. I'm really glad I put in the extra effort (and $$) to get this one because we definitely use the handle and she loves the door (the cozy convertible doesn't have a door) In fact, when I was looking for it, I was really surprised not more stores carried it because it's SO much more versatile a product compared to the others you mentioned. The only two things I really don't like about it are that the wheels are plastic (read: LOUD) and the directions for putting it together were terrible and so my DH installed the wheels backwards (it doesn't affect the movement of the car but the decals end up facing inside when the wheels are moving). But neither of these things bother my DD one bit!

Good luck finding it!

ShanaMama
07-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your post. I am getting so discouraged- 'why am I searching so hard for this particular car? Why not just get any other one out there?'KWIM? But honestly, it's a no brainer. This car has such better features than the others. I didn't even notice the door issue- good point. I like the fact that this car grows with your DC, unlike the Step 2, which has the permanent floor. Oh- and no roof: Can you say sunburn?
I can basically write a great review of this car even though I don't own it!! AARGH!
PS- I just got a TRU coupon & dragged DD to the store to *finally* get the car. (More like dragged myself- she was thrilled to go!) Well guess what- just because they carry it online doesn't mean they carry it instore!
Well thanks for sharing my frustration. It looks like I'll have to pay more, order it online, or give it up. DD is 1 yo- she doesn't even want it- I do!

Mirthful
07-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I DID THE EXACT SAME THING!!!
I called ToysRUs to check if they carried it in the store - I even spelled out the whole name of the car for her: Little Tikes Cozy Push & Ride Car - and she told me yes. So I go down there with my 2 year old that wants everything in the store and nope, not there. That's how I found out how important the door is because my DD pretty much fell face first into the Cozy Convertible trying to get into it.

Good luck!

sidmand
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
The best I've found is this for $71.99+ 6% back and free shipping:

If you go through ebates you get 6% off and if you use the discount code above SHIPFREE, you get free shipping. (I thought they had a 10% off code before, but it may have expired.)

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro.asp?id=64548&rc=froogle64548&srccode=cii_14110944&cpncode=07-10942501-2

Not much of a savings, but some...

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

ShanaMama
07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
>If you go through ebates you get 6% off

Can you clue me in to how Ebates works exactly? I know its popular here on the boards. I went to the site but never wanted to join because I got the feeling I would start getting tons of junk email.
Is there a fee to join? Do you get lots of spam?
TIA

sidmand
07-27-2006, 10:55 AM
It is free to join and I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever gotten any junk mail from them. I don't use the pop-up they have that tells you if a certain cite is eligible ('cause that would just annoy me). So I do have to remember to check through ebates if the store is eligible.

I've heard that FatWallet often has better percentages but I'm too lazy and I've just stuck with ebates. I've actually probably received a few hundred dollars back from them (okay, yes, I shop too much, but a lot of that was holiday gifts for clients that I bought from Dale and Thomas popcorn with like 25% cash back!).

So far I haven't found any downside and I get money back for shopping I was probably going to do anyway.

ETA: I didn't really mention how it works! If you go on the site you'll see that different stores offer different percentages back or different coupon codes. You do have to go through ebates to get the discount, but it's just as easy as shopping through their site. Everything else is automatic. Some sites give the ebates much faster than others. Some wait to make sure you're not returning the item, etc. But then every quarter ebates either sends you a check for any money you've earned or they can send it directly to your PayPal account (which is what I do nowadays). Seriously, my check around Christmas (with the popcorn!) was for about $180.

Debbie
http://b2.lilypie.com/BI7Tm5.png

ShanaMama
07-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Got it!
I found a local store that carried it for $75. I just gave in & bought it for full price, buying it online, & paying shipping will come out more anyway.
Thanks for the ebates info. It sounds a little too complicated for me.
This keeps happening to me- I research an item to death, price it out all over the place, & then when I finally get it, it's so anticlimactic- I almost feel deflated! I think I need to get a life & stop being so obsessed with researching & searching for the best deal!
Thanks e/o for your help.