PDA

View Full Version : ? on Gorcery Game

mnosky1
07-30-2006, 09:11 AM
For those of you who do this - I am going to sign up for the grocery game (start with free trial at least).

How long should I save my coupons before starting?
Is it a benefit to save more than 1 set of coupons?
Do you cut teh coupons and separate them by category?

Advice is appreciated. Also I can use your name as the refrral since this site is where I first hear about it. Thanks!
Michelle

tarynsmum
07-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Personally, I would save a few week's worth of coupons to get the most for your money (since you'll have the trial version-- I think it might be a dollar for 2 months or something like that). I just finished cutting this week's coupons, and there were a ton of good ones (better than usual). Try to score this week's paper if you still can. They say on the site that the coupons/sales run in 2 month-12 week cycles (and experience from working in a gocery store for 4 years tells me it's the truth), but I really wouldn't wait that long. You might get overwhelmed with all the coupons and miss out on some sales.

I thought about getting more than one set, but I really don't think it's necessary for the most part. This sounds weird, but I cut the coupons from my paper first, and then decide if I want nother set of those or not. FOr example, I got an extra set from this week's because there was a lot in there that I needed/ will use.

I separate my coupons by catagory (I use the system on th website) and keep them all in a cancelled-check binder thing. It cost me a dollar in Target's dollar section a few weeks back (I bought a few for when they wear out). I don't keep them together by date (of the paper), because that was too confusing to me. In sections where there are a lot of coupons (usually cleaning and toiletries), I'll divide further, like all the toothpaste/toothbrushes/mouthwash together, all the soaps together, etc.

OK, that was really long, and I hope it made sense to you. Good luck! I love thegrocerygame.com. I think it's saved me a lot of money, not to mention time (I don't have to look around the store for things on sale anymore).

corrie23
07-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi,
It was me who posted about GG a few weeks back (I'm a big fan). I personally saved Qs for a few weeks before signng up for a trial (which is 4 weeks) just because I knew that it would irritate me to see things I would want but wouldn't have Qs for, and then I wouldn't be getting a great sense of how the "game" would actually impact my shopping. Back then the Walgreens list was free to all so I did that for a few weeks while I waited to start my trial (and you can still try WG on your own while you're waiting, using the WG EasySaver (available in-store) to at least take advantage of free after rebate items. Another alternative is that you could go to clipping services or ebay to get the Qs you know your family would really use, and then just get started. I don't use the vast majority of my Qs because they're for items we would never use (and it's no savings IMO to get a "great" price on something you wouldn't have bought otherwise).

This weekend is a good coupon week, with 3 inserts. If you feel compelled, you could pick up extra papers (many stores sell double bundles at a discount), although I get by with my own paper and my parents save their inserts for me. It looks like there are going to be 2 inserts for the next 4 weeks and then no coupons Labor Day weekend (if that helps you plan at all). I also personally do NOT clip coupons at all. I just pull the inserts and file by date (1 file folder for each week) and then I clip as-needed once I get my list. You can also ask friends/family members to hang on to their inserts for you.

I hope that answers your question. Let me know (pm or email) if you want me to send you my Grocery Game "tip sheet" (if I haven't already-I know I sent it to a bunch of folks here, but I've lost track of whom).

Good luck and have fun!
-Corrie