PDA

View Full Version : Winter getaway deals? What have you done?

momofjandl
11-25-2006, 08:34 PM
DH has the week between Christmas and New Year's off and we are thinking of taking a vacation. We'd like to go someplace warm as we live in the Northeast (MA). I'd love to do a beach thing. Our sons are ages 2 and 3. I don't want to spend a boatload of money and don't mind waiting to book last minute if I can get a deal.

No Disney as we did that last spring. I think we want a more laid back relaxing vacation this time around.

I'd like to know:

Where have you gone, all inclusive or not, for those of you that have done all inclusive-what resort..club med, beaches, FDR, etc. and why, and did you like it, did you do Mexico, Caribbean, etc. What about cruises..are my kids too young?

And most of all did you go through a travel agent, online site, were you able to find any deals and how?

Also, for those of you on the east coast and in the south...how far south do you have to go for warm weather end of Dec? Do I have to go all the way to Florida or would it be warm enough to sit on the beach (not swim) in North or South Carolina?

Thanks so much!
Ruth

Momof3Labs
11-25-2006, 09:32 PM
When I was in college, my parents took us to Cancun that week each year. They booked it last minute (not all-inclusive, we prefer to eat a variety of places) and got great deals the first couple of years, and okay deals after that. Cancun is gorgeous, and the weather is so nice in December. There isn't a ton to do (besides beachy stuff) so it can be pretty laid-back.

Florida is hit or miss as far as swimming weather that time of year (I've seen 40's and windy in Orlando in December) so I think you need to go farther south than Florida to guarantee warm weather. Definitely not NC or SC.

If you do a cruise, your kids are too young for the kids' clubs on most of the lines. Some lines may have group babysitting available for them, and some may only have in-room babysitting. They can't swim in the pool unless potty-trained, generally. I think that cruise deals are few and far between for that week, though. They usually do big 10-day cruises over the holidays that book up pretty early.

mariza
11-26-2006, 10:05 AM
DH and I honeymooned in Tulum Mexico 3 years ago and stayed at the Sunscape all inclusive resort. We absolutely loved it and keep saying that we'll go back with the kids when they are older. There is a ton of stuff for kids to do if you like water sports. (The beach in Tulum is rocky so make sure you buy water shoes before you go).
There is a kids club (I think it starts at age 4), snorkeling, cayaking, canoing, hiking, etc. There is an awesome ecological park very close to the Sunscape and the Tulum Mayan ruins are 2 miles away from the resort. There are 2 swimming pools and (obviously) the ocean and an unbeleivable ecological park with birds, fish, dolphins, etc. nearby.
You can take the "coloectivo" a little van that runs from Tulum to Playa del Carmen for shopping, or dinner off the resort. It's a little local secret to take the van and so much cheaper that a cab! It's mostly locals who take it to and from work at the various resorts.
Here's an article I found:
http://travelwithkids.about.com/cs/sunzonesresorts/a/sunscapetulum.htm

The ecological park:
http://travelwithkids.about.com/od/rivieramayaresorts/fr/xcaret.htm

We went to Xel-ha, but I guess they are "sister parks"

We were living in FL at the time and got a good deal on Spirit Air and my MIL gave us her timeshare for a wedding gift so that's how we found the Sunscape; it was the only timeshare near Playa del Carmen. (many of my friends honeymooned at the Rio Palace but we couldn't afford it)
I'm in MA now too btw, I can totally relate to wanting to get out of the cold! 60's today and tomorrow though, yeah :)

momofjandl
11-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the response. I posted last year and think it was you who directed me to some great Disney sites. If it wasn't you, I apologize..and thanks to whoever it was. :)

We were able to get a great deal at Dis Animal Kingdom in May with a free upgrade from Standard to Savannah. We all had a wonderful time, but I originally wanted to just do a lazy beach thing. DH wanted Disney.

So if we go anywhere this time it's going to be MY choice!!

Thanks again!
Ruth

momofjandl
11-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the info. I agree it's been great weather up here thus far..we've been lucky. I've lived in NE all my life and still can't stand the winters.

We'll probably take time off this summer...but summer is so much easier b/c then we could just drive to the cape or VT or NH or something for a beach.

Do you know much about Sanibel, FL? We went there a few years back as well as to the keys and Hutchinson Beach and wished we stayed at Sanibel the whole time. We went for Christmas and it was dead so I was thinking of going there again if we don't got someplace more exotic.

I'm looking at flights and it kills me to pay for 4 tickets with kids ages 3 and 2.

Anyone know if the airlines offer discount fairs for kids?

Thanks again,
Ruth

ps where abouts are you in MA?

hillview
11-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting this as I am in same situation. We are targeting Feb and want to take the grandparents. I am thinking of all inclusive as it takes the guess work out and also it is most likely to have activities for kids (we won't be leaving DS in a program but need something distracting for the out of the sun time). We are looking at the Domician and at Cancoun/Cozumel as they seem to have the best deals. In past years we have done Aruba (last minute -- so so deal on AA.com) and Caymans (also last minute -- great deal on AA.com) but that was without parents and an active DS. The Travel and Leisure web site has some good family resort reviews.
Good luck!
/hillary

momofjandl
11-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks!! I'll post what we find. We still haven't decided if we will go or not. We really should be saving money. Like that ever happens visiting here...LOL!!