PDA

View Full Version : Any deals on wooden toys-puzzles, blocks?

Pegessen
02-27-2007, 10:08 AM
I am trying to find some wooden toys such as puzzles, blocks, and even a puppet theater but would love to get a good deal on them.
Does anyone know of any deals or discount codes/free shipping?

TIA!

cbscherer
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
The Carter's Outlet had its Melissa and Doug toys for 3.99 in my area.

Momof3Labs
02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Marshall's had a wooden puppet theater for a reasonable price - that will be a tough one to find w/ free shipping since it is so big and bulky to ship.

danagee
02-27-2007, 02:14 PM
I went to Tuesday Morning this morning and they had lots of great M&D puzzles.
Even better, for you wood toy fans, was a tool bench/table and I'm sorry I can't remember the price (maybe $20 or $30), but it was really nice and I wanted it so badly but we've already got a couple.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

hellokitty
02-27-2007, 10:20 PM
If you cannot find wooden toys/puzzles on clearance, I have found that tj maxx consistently seems to have the lowest, "regular" price. Wooden stuff is usually heavy to ship, I have found that unless I have a free shipping code, sometimes it's just cheaper to get stuff at tj maxx. Their selection is best around christmas, they seem to double their wooden toys selection, and then thin it out via clearance afterwards. It is worthwhile to take a look now. I have found that it depends on your area. I live in a region where ppl are really into loud, obnoxious plastic toys, so I find wooden toys on clearance at tj maxx relatively easily, b/c I have no competition, lol. GL!

zoestargrove
02-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I've had amazing luck with buying gently used wooden puzzles and games at consignment stores like Children's Orchard. They are usually in new condition and range from only $2-4 (sometimes for a group of them). I've picked up Anatex wooden mazes, M&D puzzles and games, Hearthsong memory game, Maple Landmark.

brittone2
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
AC Moore and Michaels often carry wooden toys (varies location to locatoin...some will, some won't).

You can use their 40% off one item coupons (frequently in the newspaper or if you get their mailings). Our AC Moore carries a lot of M&D toys, puzzles, blocks, etc.

We've had really great luck w/ the M&D unit blocks. They are rubberwood, which isn't as nice as maple, but ours have worked out really well and using a 40% off coupon they are only a little over $20 for a set. I've read mixed reviews of them in the past, but for us, they've worked out so well I have trouble justifying more expensive blocks.

I've seen puppet theatres at places like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx in the past. THose places often carry other M&D products.

hellokitty
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
None of the michaels I've been to carry wooden toys. I always hear about how ppl use the 40% off coupons. I wish we had an AC Moore, it sounds like ppl always find great deals there.

Pegessen
03-01-2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks ladies for all the suggestions!
I am going to try TJMaxx and Marshalls and possibly Tuesday Mornings.
I did receive a TRU catalog in the mail that starts on 3/4 and they have their wooden puzzles buy 2 get one free. I have never seen wooden toys at Michaels but I am going to call around and see if any of the stores near me carry them. I, too, wish I had an AC Moore around me!

Thanks again!

Pegessen
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much to the pp who said to check TJ Maxx!

I went there after work today and got 2 Melissa & Doug puzzles, a Ryans Room puzzle, the M&D wooden shape sorter, Chica Chica Boom Boom board book, and a Carters dress for DD for only $32xx

I want to go back because they had so many puzzles and I couldn't decide...actually I wanted all of them but I know that my children do not need that many right now but the prices were great! They also had the M&D peg toy with hammer for $7.99 and the take along tool box for $7.99

Oh and they had the M&D magnetic car set with people on clearance for $15.00 I was not sure about that...it looks pretty neat though. Does anyone have it? If so do you/DC like it? I might go back and get it to put up for Christmas.

Anyway, thanks again to whoever posted about TJ Maxx!

Pegessen
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much to the pp who said to check TJ Maxx!

I went there after work today and got 2 Melissa & Doug puzzles, a Ryans Room puzzle, the M&D wooden shape sorter, Chica Chica Boom Boom board book, and a Carters dress for DD for only $32xx

I want to go back because they had so many puzzles and I couldn't decide...actually I wanted all of them but I know that my children do not need that many right now but the prices were great! They also had the M&D peg toy with hammer for $7.99 and the take along tool box for $7.99

Oh and they had the M&D magnetic car set with people on clearance for $15.00 I was not sure about that...it looks pretty neat though. Does anyone have it? If so do you/DC like it? I might go back and get it to put up for Christmas.

Anyway, thanks again to whoever posted about TJ Maxx!

hellokitty
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you got some great finds. I love TJ Maxx, it's rare that I leave the store empty handed, lol. I have not seen the M&D magnetic car seat with ppl before, but my boys are NUTS about magnetic cars/trains/trucks. I think it's a toy that young children would enjoy.

hellokitty
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Sounds like you got some great finds. I love TJ Maxx, it's rare that I leave the store empty handed, lol. I have not seen the M&D magnetic car seat with ppl before, but my boys are NUTS about magnetic cars/trains/trucks. I think it's a toy that young children would enjoy.

oneontheway
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I was at TRU today and they had a set of four set of Melissa & Doug puzzles on sale for $12.98 (the puzzles came in painted box with little shelves). I thought that was a great deal. Now I just need to find blocks!

oneontheway
03-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I was at TRU today and they had a set of four set of Melissa & Doug puzzles on sale for $12.98 (the puzzles came in painted box with little shelves). I thought that was a great deal. Now I just need to find blocks!