PDA

View Full Version : EarCheck Middle Ear Monitor $15 w/free shipping

missym
03-13-2007, 06:12 AM
This runs about $50 elsewhere, it's one of Buy.com's specials this week. Please note there are NO returns/refunds, and you have to send it back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This product has kind of mixed reviews, but for $15 I thought it was worth a try.

http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/mjKi0EBvgJ0JE40B68X0H8

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

** Want to discuss political/social issues with other parents? Join the Purple Project! Send an email to: [email protected] **

missym
03-13-2007, 06:12 AM
This runs about $50 elsewhere, it's one of Buy.com's specials this week. Please note there are NO returns/refunds, and you have to send it back to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. This product has kind of mixed reviews, but for $15 I thought it was worth a try.

http://enews.buy.com/cgi-bin5/DM/y/mjKi0EBvgJ0JE40B68X0H8

** Want to discuss political/social issues with other parents? Join the Purple Project! Send an email to: [email protected] **

BargainMomforLuke
03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Missy! Heck, I figure if this will save me one co-pay, it's more than paid for itself!

Natalie

BargainMomforLuke
03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Missy! Heck, I figure if this will save me one co-pay, it's more than paid for itself!

Natalie

Radosti
03-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks! I ordered one!

Radosti
03-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Thanks! I ordered one!

boogiemom
03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Be sure to check shipping options at checkout. They have a free shipping option.

Used the $10 off for Google checkout.

Got it for $4.99 shipped! Yay!!!

Thanks for the heads up, Missy!

boogiemom
03-13-2007, 07:02 AM
Be sure to check shipping options at checkout. They have a free shipping option.

Used the $10 off for Google checkout.

Got it for $4.99 shipped! Yay!!!

Thanks for the heads up, Missy!

lil_acorn
03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Anyone have reviews on this? The reviews on the web seem mixed.

Nicsmom
03-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks! I just got one for $4.99 shipped. Even if the reviews are mixed, for $5 is worth it.

Thanks again.

eska
03-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Thank you so much. I didn't know something like this existed. I've dragged my son to the pediatrician too many times just to be told that he's teething. I also used Google checkout and got it for $5.74 (with MA tax).
Thank you!

jridou
03-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks, I've been eyeing this lately, I'm hoping just having it in the house keeps me from ever having to need it ! $4.99 well spent !

missym
03-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I just received my monitor, and despite the item description on Buy.com saying "Includes EarCheck Monitor, 25 Disposable Plastic Tips, Verification Tube," mine only contained the 5 tips which usually come with the monitor. I've emailed CS and am waiting to hear back.

eska
03-19-2007, 04:21 PM
Same here. Please post when you hear back from CS. I am sure they'll say it was a typo on Buy.com, though.

missym
03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh no, even better - it must be the manufacturer's fault. They removed the references to the extra tips from the listing, though. I wish I had a screen shot of the description, although I'm pretty sure the receipt says "with 25 tips."

Granted, it's still a great deal, but I'm pretty mad that Buy.com isn't stepping up to make this right. I just sent them a nastygram, so I'll post when I hear back.

Radosti
03-19-2007, 07:57 PM
They didn't remove it, it's still up there. By the way, my order was also missing the extra tips.

Contents:
EarCheck Monitor with 5 Disposable Plastic Tips
20 Additional Disposable Plastic Tips
Verification Tube
Quick Reference Guide
Users Manual
Ear Infection Guide
1 Year Limited Warranty
Requires 2 AA Batteries - not included
Warning:
The EarCheckâ„¢ Monitor is NOT Indicated for the following children:
Children under 6 months of age.
Children with ear tubes (ventilation tubes).
Children with water in the outer ear such as swimmer's ear.
Children with known perforation or rupture of the ear drum.
Children with facial or ear deformities.
Children with visible drainage of pus or blood in the outer ear canal.

missym
03-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Can you post or email me a hyperlink to that page? When I run a search on Earcheck, I only find this, which on my screen omits all references to the extra 20 tips:
http://www.buy.com/prod/earcheck-middle-ear-monitor-ec-1/q/loc/111/204250038.html

Thanks!

Radosti
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204250038&loc=111&mp=30

OK, if this doesn't work, let me try to do a screen shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/radosti/earcheck1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/radosti/earcheck.jpg

missym
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Perfect. Thank you!

I know this is still a good deal without the extra tips - what upsets me is Buy's response. If they'd just said, "Very sorry, our mistake, here's a 10% off coupon for your next order," I'd have been happy. But to tell me to contact the manufacturer or return the product? Grrr. :P

Radosti
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I added another screen shot too. Might help since it's highlighted in the title.

Radosti
03-20-2007, 08:42 PM
So, I'm still miffed that the 20 extra tips weren't there.

The EarCheck arrived yesterday. DS has not been sleeping well at night the previous 2 nights. But he had been completely fine during the day, including taking long naps at daycare. He's been very giggly/happy/funny, so I was just suffering quietly. He's been waking up every 45 minutes screaming. I'm braindead. Anyway, it arrived yesterday and I decided to test it on him right away. I checked his right ear (his trouble ear) and it was fine, a one on their scale of 1-5. I checked the left ear and it gave me a level 4. I checked it twice more and it gave me a level 4 each time.

DH and I discussed it last night, basically saying that he seems fine, so whatever. I didn't end up calling the doctor last night. I spent yet another night from heck trying to soothe DS. Now, I've been a bit reserved about taking him in to the ped in these cases because there was a string of dr visits that all ended up being teething/colds. Anyway, I got to work today and it has been nagging me that this earcheck said Level 4 fluid in the middle ear. I ended up calling the ped, taking DS out of daycare and taking him to the ped office. The ped looked at his ears and told me that his left ear is pretty badly infected, the right ear is fine. So, he went on Augmentin today (plus Motrin).

I honestly most likely wouldn't have taken him to the ped office without the earcheck confirming my worries. I feel like such an awful mom, but at least it's taken care of now. I also wonder how many times we've missed all these little clues. His normal ear infections are characterized by ridiculous fever - like 104.7F. I wonder if it's just this infection is different, or if all the other ones have started out like this one and progressed to a major fever...

Anyway, I am pretty grateful that they offered this deal. I am still annoyed by the missing caps, but overall, I'm just glad I found out what the issue was.

missym
03-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, paint me yellow and call me a banana. After going in circles with Buy.com customer service for several days now, I got what I asked for - a $5 gift certificate to cover the retail cost of the missing 20 tips.

Be aware if you email them, someone different will answer every time and they don't read the previous messages. It's very frustrating.

TahliasMom
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
just some old fashion remedy that i received from my grandma. for ear infections, apply a drop or two of warm vegetable oil or use a hair dryer. i have used both of these methods many times and they worked. saved me the $25 copay at the doc's office plus i'm not big on antibiotics.

JustMe
03-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Katherine,

How do you apply the warm vegetable oil? How warm should it be? Do you use a hair dryer with the oil or without?

Thanks,

Robyn

Radosti
03-24-2007, 08:26 PM
You should warm the olive oil just a bit, test it on the sensitive skin on your hand and if it's too hot, let it cool a bit. Place two drops in the ear and put a cotton ball after it to keep it from leaking out.

onjbj
03-28-2007, 04:37 PM
I've gotten nowhere with Buy.com and the missing tips. Their responses to my emails don't even make sense. I'm thinking about disputing the charge on my credit card just to be obnoxious. Anyone else pursue this with Buy.com?

Karin

missym
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Karin,

I found the process VERY frustrating. Their CS is offshore, and I really don't think they read the entire message "thread" before replying. I think I just got lucky and found a CSR who was willing to escalate my request.

In my message, I specifically said what I wanted (a $5 credit toward a future order) and requested that my message be escalated to a supervisor. I reiterated that I was NOT requesting a return.

Good luck!

onjbj
03-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Missy-

Thanks- I've done the same- said exactly what I wanted and specifically said that I am not requesting a return. They are always very polite, dumb!! They don't even respond to what I've asked them in my emails- it's like they make up some irrelevant response just so they can say they've answered me! Like you said, it's not even the missing tips, its the principle and their total disregard for customer satisfaction.

Karin

lil_acorn
03-29-2007, 10:22 AM
How often do you thinkyou need to change the tips? I was looking at it and it looks like we could probably re-use it over and over again.

Also, got to use if for the first time yesterday on my cranky child. It gave me a “consult doctor-3� reading on his right ear. Nothing on the left - just a 1- but the doc thought it was because he had a piece of wax in the way. So I guess it was worth my $5 investment. Hopefully my regular happy child be back soon now that he is on meds!

TahliasMom
03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
sorry. i forgot to bookmark this thread. I use the hairdryer without the oil. I usually do it when i dry DD's hair so she has no idea of my motive. :)It's also great for calming a colicy baby. :)
as for oil, gently warm the oil, test it on my hand and put a couple drops on the outer edge of the ear canal. putting a cotton ball gently in the ear canal will prevent the oil from coming out. good luck!