PDA

View Full Version : pinecone research asking to connect to my PC to check settings

zoestargrove
03-15-2007, 10:57 AM
did anyone else get this email? They say that it is optional. Did you go ahead and give them access? I'm a little wigged out about giving them permission to get access to the computer, but maybe I confess to not being the most computer saavy.

GB
03-15-2007, 11:09 AM
I got the same message and tried to download their file with no success. Hopefully this doesn't cause me to get kicked out.

DrSally
03-15-2007, 11:17 AM
same here, I was unable to download and have a new computer.

kristenk
03-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Huh. Same thing happened to me. I was going to have DH look at it when he got home last night, but I forgot. Maybe something is messed up on their end?

LogansMommy
03-15-2007, 11:22 AM
hmm- I didn't get that email, when did you all recv it?

zoestargrove
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
I received it yesterday afternoon.

huh, weird that it didn't work for so many of you. I still haven't tried it.

Radosti
03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
I was also unable to download the file.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
03-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I got it too and it didn't work on my computer either. They said that it wouldn't matter for upcoming surveys, so I hope that's true!

LogansMommy
03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
wierd- the only email I recieved from them yesterday was regarding being able to sign up to recieve the pmnts via paypal instead of check....

Kais Mum
03-15-2007, 12:34 PM
I too couldn't get the download to work and I have a new computer. No biggie apparently, because I just received my first survey.

Oregonmother
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
The video didn't work for me either. I completed my 1st survey today though.

surfergal
03-15-2007, 05:56 PM
I work for a software security company. You are right to be wigged out.

Anyone asking for access to your machine for any purpose should raise a big red flag in your mind. I would not allow it, as they could install spyware, for instance, that monitors your key clicks or checks your files for credit card numbers, SSNs, or other financial information.

I hope this helps.
Mary.

zoestargrove
03-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Thank you Mary! That's what I was afraid of, but wasn't sure if it was a valid concern.

3boys1girl
03-15-2007, 07:20 PM
ok it did not work for me either and now I am scared. Is there anything I can do after the fact to protect myself... should I really worry, if I got scammed so did everyone else here that did it. TIA for any late advise.

supercalifragilous
03-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Shoot.... this happened to me too and I gave them access... only for them to say I had to download the Flash player (which I couldn't). Me too--anything I can do after the fact? I am sooooooooo NOT computer savvy!

buddyleebaby
03-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Sigh..me too.
Dumb dumb dumb.
I just ran a spyware scan on my computer and erased all the cookies. Don't know what, if anything, can be done at this point.

sdoyle
03-16-2007, 06:18 AM
EEKKS! Another idiot here- I tried it at home and when it didn't work, I used my work computer (home computer is ancient!)! Great- probably they are reading this now :) Is there anything we can do? Why don't I think of these things?!?

Stacy

karolyp
03-16-2007, 06:52 AM
Are you talking about this e-mail?

>We would like you to complete a brief systems test to determine if components of our system will work with your computer. The process will take 3-5 minutes and checks your system to see if you are able to receive surveys that use video streaming technology."

From what I gather, they just wanted to check our computer settings to see if we could product commercials - not to install spyware (my computer couldn't play it too). Even though I'm not that 'puter savvy, I'm not tooo worried (well maybe just a little ;) )

Here's what else the e-mail said:

>By doing this test, we will determine if your computer is capable of displaying videos online. Rest assured this will not detect or attempt to access any personal information that may be stored on your computer. Your membership in the PineCone program is valued and we will never share or sell your computer system information to any other company. This is used strictly by PineCone Research to identify those panelists willing and able to test commercials for us."

>We will test the following system settings:
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows, Mac, etc.)
- Your Browser type (IE or Netscape)
- If you have Windows Media Player installed
- What your color setting is
- If you are using AOL
- If you are using a modem or broadband network

DrSally
03-16-2007, 08:47 AM
The above is why I ran it. Provided it is a reputable company and we can believe what they say, I thought it shouldn't be a problem. I wonder if when the "brief system test" is finished, they will be off our computers. That would be something to ask. Also, why wouldn't the installation work if one met all the criteria above? That seems weird. I think I'll write to them and ask if the access we granted is for 3-5 min or indefinite.

ETA: I just got a response to my question:

Sally,

I can appreciate your concern. This is just a system check to see if
your computer is compatible for video studies. It often only takes
about 10 seconds and will display your settings for you.

Please let me know whenever you have a question or concern and be sure
to include your ID# with your request or comment and I will be glad to
help.

mom2one
03-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi all. I have been with pinecone almost 2 years now. At some point in the last year, I got the email you are talking about. I did it (and had no problems in doing so) and everything has been fine. Hope that makes some of you feel better. Being a tired Mom, I don't remember fully why they needed to do so, but I thought it was to get faster/better, etc. videos and advertisements.

HTH Susan

Radosti
03-16-2007, 02:39 PM
I read up on it and they are testing a new video-delivery system for surveys. If it didn't work on your computer (or any one of ours), that is obviously a problem and that's why they are testing it.

I just completed my first survey.

DrSally
03-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Well, that makes more sense as to why it didn't work for any of us. Makes it seem like less of a trojan horse way to get onto your computer.

danagee
03-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Yippee! That was fun, legit and quick. I got my first $5 deposit into my Paypal account today.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06