PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ugh, sometimes I hate being so morally upstanding ;)

Ceepa
03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
So a box arrived on my porch filled with a certain wooden toy car we've all been talking about recently.

Apparently there was some kind of shipping error and I received a box packed full of them instead of the single one I ordered.

Honestly, I was so excited at the sight that it took me a few minutes to embrace my personal integrity and call the company that processed my order. Turns out they're a small family-run company and were shocked and grateful that I called. The box is going back tomorrow (but is hidden from DS in the meantime).

It really wasn't a choice to call and report the error, but man ... sometimes ... ;).

-Ceepa

momofjandl
03-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Kudos to you. I know the urge to keep would have been there for me. But I truly believe in karma. Your good deed will be returned some day I'm sure. :)

Ruth

Jo..
03-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I would have struggled with this.

danagee
03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow, you're a role model. If the same thing happens to me, I'll think of you and return them...maybe :/

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

just_teachin
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Kudos to you!!! :) You did the right thing.

(on a side note... If I were the store owners, I'd offer you a 25% off one item coupon or something as a gesture.)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Heather
Mommy to Corinne, 11/17/04
6/7 SAHM, 1/7 Kdg-8th grade music teacher; 7/7 Bargain Huntress
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Proudly breastfed for 24 months and 7 days! Corinne has self-weaned!

MMMommy
03-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Good things happen to good people! You did the right thing, and I'm sure the store owners really appreciate it. I think they should at least offer you some kind of discount on your next purchase or show some good will on their part.

alexsmommy
03-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I really hope in turn they send you a new box with at least one different car and or the extender pack for free. Not everyone would have done this knowing full well they could have made a killing.
I believe in karma - this will come back to you in some way.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

amyliv
03-24-2007, 06:09 AM
yes, I totally agree w/ the others, this will all come back to you.
Amy, mommy to 2 blessings born in Korea.

Ceepa
03-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Edited post: After writing this yesterday I started a debate with myself about how "morally upstanding" it was to return the cars that were sent to me because of a shipping error but still try to get a Pottery Barn bed online with the pricing error two days ago.

This is not meant to be judgmental of anyone else here, it's just for me, personally, I'm now wondering why I didn't mind when the big box store [PB] was involved but I could see clearly why a Mom & Pop company depends on goodwill to survive. Should the size of a business have an effect on my decision? Technically it shouldn't.

Hmmmm.

-Ceepa

danagee
03-25-2007, 07:27 AM
But did you realize the PB bed price was an error at the time you tried to get it?

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

Jo..
03-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Some stores honor their pricing errors. I consider it my reward for being a good bargain-watcher. I also used to love the policies some grocery stores had of giving you a free item if it scanned wrong. I got free stuff every darn time.

I never considered it wrong, because I was playing by the rules set forth by the stores: I wasn't stealing or cheating.

If a company honors a price mistake; that's their choice. We'd be nuts not to want to take advantage of the deal.

Ceepa
03-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Jo, I like the way you very simply outlined a thought process whereas I make things rather complicated.

DH says I spend way too much energy inside the culs-de-sac of my brain working out things. Guess he's right! LOL

My goodness, sorry to hijack the bargain board to work through my philosophical issues! Geesh. ;)

Back to the deals!

-Ceepa

firsttimemommy
03-26-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm totally stealing the "cul-de-sac of my brain" comment - great! That's totally me!

BTW, you did the right thing and I would have done the pottery barn thing too. Don't know if I can explain it or justify it, but that would have been my gut reaction on both :) Same as you.

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"If you could eliminate all defensiveness from your personality, you would not only have the best relationships in town, but in fact, you'd become the most loving and adorable person on the planet