PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a freezer.. any ideas?

knaidel
06-25-2007, 01:31 PM
We're looking to buy an upright extra freezer. Any ideas on how to go about getting a good deal on one? We're moving to Baltimore at the begining of August, and there is a Sears Appliance Outlet near our new home- that's really the only idea I have. Any other ideas? We're not in the market for anything else at this point.

miki
06-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I priced Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, and a few local places. Lowes had the lowest prices near me. I waited for a promotion where I got a rebate on the delivery charge and a free gift card so that saved me about $85.

geochick
06-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Is there a Costco nearby? I know they have chest freezers. Also, you might wait until a major holiday. Our local stores have huge sales on refrigerators and freezers around major holidays. Too bad you won't be there for the 4th of July. That's always a good time for sales.

mollys_mommy
06-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Sears was by far the best deal in our area (not necessarily in price but overall- no one else had the size we wanted in stock!) We got a basic chest freezer, 5 cu foot, and its wonderful. My friend is quite happy with hers from Lowes.

Just a head's up you'll likely want a foodsaver now that you have a freezer. So factor that cost in as well:P

hellokitty
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
My advice after getting ours is the get upright kind which you can open up like a regular fridge. We got the kind where you lift up the door and as a relatively short person (5'3"), I cannot reach the bottom of the freezer w/o basically hanging off the side of the freezer. Things also have a to get lost and forgotten, since it's so deep. Oh, if you have any friends who work somewhere that carries these, you can ask if they would be willing to purchase the freezer for you with their discount and then you can pay them with a check. That is what one of my friends did and got a good deal on hers (her friend worked at lowe's).

Emmas Mom
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Not to hijack (I'm also looking to buy a freezer)....what is a foodsaver??

mollys_mommy
06-27-2007, 06:37 AM
www.foodsaver.com is awesome-- it vaccuum seals food so it stays fresh way longer in the freezer. also saves a ton of space on packaging!

i'm short too, just over 5'3, and we still went the chest freezer route. we felt like the upright, every time we opened the door, we'd lose half the coolness, and end up paying more in elec. we haven't "lost" anything in the bottom of ours, although with me being pregnant...its lots of ice cream in ours and popsicles more than meats right now LOL

there must be sales coming this weekend though!

HallsofVA
06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
We bought a small upright freezer back in February when my freezer stash of milk took over the other freezer space we had. Our options were greatly limited by the fact that we put it in the basement, and it couldn't be too large or it wouldn't go down the stairs. I'd look at and space restrictions you have at the new place and use those dimensions to narrow the choices down to a few sizes or models.

Once we decided on size and model options, I did a bunch of price checking and settled on a Sears model. They had one in my size range marked down substantially, plus they had additional sale incentives that dropped the price further, with free delivery (via rebate.) The most incredible thing was that I ordered the freezer online at 3pm on a Saturday, and the delivery truck was outside our house before 7am the next morning!! He was so early he had to sit in the truck for 15 minutes since they'd said they wouldn't be there until at least 7.

Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot carry some different brands (and some similar ones) so you may have to look around if you have a specific brand in mind. I was very disappointed at the freezer selection at Best Buy, so I don't know that I'd waste time looking there.

I live in Northern Virginia and there is an appliance store called Bray & Scarff that has locations around the area (but don't know about baltimore.) If you need assistance or education on an appliance, they're the best in terms of customer service and they're who we use when we need appliances that have to be installed (though with a freezer I'd probably shop around the web even after you sought their advice on which model to buy.)

If you have Baltimore specific questions, ask mudder17 for info. She lives in the area.

brianaw
06-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Home Depot is having 10% appliances starting tomorrow. I would have Sears price match for 110% so that would end up being 20% off. You can also get a 10% off coupon from lowesmoving.com and use that at Home Depot since they take other's coupons.

HTH

jermak
06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I bought an upright b/c I'm very short (4'11 1/2") but also b/c you have to dig under everything or you use only the top items and forget whats down below.

The only advise I have is 1) buy the size you think you'll fill, you'll waste electricity cooling a 1/2 empty freezer and 2) I really wanted one with an alarm on it so that if the freezer died we'd have warning before we lost all our food. (That's what had happended with our last one, everything defrosted for days before we knew about it. Our current one has an alarm that is supposed to sound if it gets above a certain temperature!)

A Food saver is a food vacuum storage system. We recently bought one but haven't used it yet. There are various reviews available to determien which type and brand bests meets your needs.