PDA

View Full Version : Double Stroller Recommendations

chico0100
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I am looking for a recommendation for a double tandem stroller that would work well for a 3 1/2 year old and a baby. I originally didn't want to invest in yet another stroller, but I think we are going to need one. My daughter is not very big for her age and we still use the stroller for outings that involve a lot of walking. I was looking at the Joovy Caboose Stand On and Phil and Teds Sports Double Stroller. The Joovy is a more affordable choice and has a universal car seat adapter, but the back jump seat doesn't seem to be real comfortable for the older child. I would appreciate any feedback on either of those strollers or any other that might work well. If anyone knows of any bargains/deals for a good double stroller, please share that info, too. Thanks so much!

Maura

happy2bamom
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I have the Joovy Caboose and love it! My DC are 3 1/2 and 9 months. I just started using the stroller w/o the carseat adapter, and both ways worked well for us. I am actually so glad that we didn't spend the money on a double stroller b/c my older DS loves the ability to be able to decide if he is going to sit or stand in the stroller. And it works really well that he is able to get himself in and out of the stroller b/c I would be breaking my back lifting him in and out of a regular double stroller. He typically likes to walk when we go places, but it is great that he has the option to catch a ride when he gets tired or when I just need to get somewhere quickly (ie, running late for an appointment). This past weekend we used the stroller at a carnival and it was perfect for shuttling him from ride to ride (so that I didn't have to worry about him getting lost in the crowd).

The cons are that it is pretty heavy to haul in and out of the trunk. It also takes 2 hands to set up, so I have to get it set-up before getting either kiddo out of the car. And the sun shade only protects the front passenger. Oh yeah, no drink holder and the basket is pretty small and hard to get to when the older child is in the stroller. But, the pros outweigh the cons for me. Hope that helps.

chico0100
06-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Kelli,

Thanks so much for the input! I assume you have the standard Joovy Caboose, not the Ultralight. Is the older child able to sit in the jump seat when the car seat is being used up front?

Maura

debbo
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I've been looking into the same thing for my 3 1/2yr old and newborn. I tried the Joovy Caboose at Babys R Us and also the Baby Trend Sit N Stand Deluxe Plus. I think the Baby Trend has more room for the older kid and also an actual seat that can be strapped in to make an actual double stroller and a more comfortable seat for the older one. It also has a parent cup holder and a bigger storage basket. It seems to have lots of options though it's still heavy. I think I'm probably going to get the Baby Trend one. Any other opinions on this one?

Thanks!

debsterchen
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
We have a sit n stand (currently DD is 4 and DS is 14 months). We know others who have had this too and very many of us did not use it much at all. It is heavy and hard to lug around so it was reserved for neighborhood walks and longer trips to the zoo. If you will use it for neighborhood walks and special outings, I'd recommend it. It does get use for walks in the neighborhood. We also have a peg perego P3 and DD jumps on the back of it when she tires at the mall or anywhere far and rides on the footbar. That has been much more useful for me. Maybe you can try to get a sit n stand off of craigs list or something like that. OR try the other brand, the light one. Maybe the lighter weight will allow you to use it more.

-Debbie

happy2bamom
06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Yep, DS was able to sit in the jumpseat when I used the carseat in the front. It didn't look very comfortable to me (the back sits straight up) but DS never complained. Honestly, he gets a kick out of standing, so he does that most of the time.

HallsofVA
06-25-2007, 09:47 PM
We bought the Graco Quattro Tour Duo a few months ago for our now 3 1/2 DS and 7 month old DD. It can hold a Snugride carseat in either position, but is comfortable without the carseat too. DS isn't tall, so he still fits in the front seat and can use the canopy. A really tall child may be crowded with the canopy up. It's a beast to push around my neighborhood (where we use it most) but it beats the one time I tried to take the kids on a walk with DD in the stroller and DS walking. We didn't make it far before DS wanted to ride too. After switching them back and forth for a bit, I finally sat DS on the front footrest of our Jeep 3 wheel stroller long enough to get us back to the house, then we went out and bought the double stroller that night!

While it's heavy to move around when folded, it has a more compact fold than most doubles which makes it fit into most trunks. We looked at the joovy, but DS was crowded when we had a carseat in the front, plus he likes to see where we're going (and not just mom or dad or where we've been.)

hellokitty
06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
We have had the P&T E3 with doubles kit for almost two yrs and we LOVE it! I know it costs a lot, but I tried a graco duoglider (tandem) first and it was soooo bad. It was just HUGE! It took up a lot of space (and I drive a minivan) and I could barely haul it in and out of the car. Plus, it was a monster to try to push too. My P&T is great. Very easy to maneuver, the kids love it, compared to other doubles, it's not that heavy and since your older child may be outgrowing a stroller in the next yr, you have the option of just using your P&T as a single by simply not using the doubles kit back seat! :) The only negative thing about it is the sun canopy in the front could be better. However, really that is my only complaint and it's such a minor issue. The true manuverability test of a double stroller is... will it fit through the aisle of those super small gymboree stores? My P&T does. :)

BTW, don't buy your stroller at www.arunningstroller.com I know the lady who runs that place has been highly recommended before here a BBB. However, I ordered the cup holder/fanny pack from her, it never arrived, I waited almost a month! When I called her, she acted surprised and blamed it on the USPS. She sent me another one, which I did get, luckily I was not in a hurry to use the cup holder. I didn't think anything of it, until a friend of mine wanted to get a P&T too, and I told her to go to that site. She had an even worse experience than mine. It took a long time for her order to be sent out, and when it did, she did not send everything. My friend then had to call and email the lady for over a month to get her to send out the other accessories that she ordered with her stroller. Everything finally came, but due to the bad CS, both of us would not recommend it. I feel bad, b/c I recommended the place to my friend and after her experience I realized my negative experience was NOT an isolated one.

MATTYSMOMMY
06-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Does the Graco turn easy, I tried on in the store and it di dnot turn, I was thinking something may be wrong with it.

rwagdivh
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
We have the Baby Trend Sit N Stand LX (purchased at Target). Not sure of the differences between that and the Deluxe plus, but we've been very happy. I have a 1 1/2 & 4 yr old who get's tired (or just jealous) and likes to ride in the stroller (plus I feel safer having him close vs. darting off). A lot of times we don't fold it, as we have a minivan and I just put in the back -- I don't find it too heavy too lift. I just purchased in the Fall, but wish I would have gotten when my little one was first born. We still have a single basic umbrella for shorter trips or when just the little one is going. But overall I am very happy. If I decide to have #3 this will be my main stroller.

mhanscom
06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
I have the baby Trend Sit and Stand. I had it when my son was born and my daughter was turning 4 at the time. It had more room for her than the Joovy to sit. She is a big girl so I needed the space. We used it as our only stroller then. She is now 5 and I rarely use it, only if I am going to the zoo, Disney etc... where there is a lot of walking. I am thinking about selling it. I just don't have rrom and since my son is 16mths a reg. stroller suits me fine. Anyone intersted? :) I may post a craigs list on it.
Hope this helps-my bet friend has the Joovy and It is a bit more compact but the 2nd rider has less room and the handle is vertical as opposed to the Sit N Stand.

My opinion purchas the Sit N Stand over the Joovy and definately over a double stroller!

robertrose
06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
>We have a sit n stand (currently DD is 4 and DS is 14
>months). We know others who have had this too and very many
>of us did not use it much at all. It is heavy and hard to lug
>around so it was reserved for neighborhood walks and longer
>trips to the zoo. If you will use it for neighborhood walks
>and special outings, I'd recommend it. It does get use for
>walks in the neighborhood. We also have a peg perego P3 and
>DD jumps on the back of it when she tires at the mall or
>anywhere far and rides on the footbar. That has been much
>more useful for me. Maybe you can try to get a sit n stand
>off of craigs list or something like that. OR try the other
>brand, the light one. Maybe the lighter weight will allow you
>to use it more.
>
>-Debbie

:-) Wow! I can echo Debbie pretty much word for word.

Only, MY DS is 4 and my DD is the 14 months old. Pretty interesting. And I did purchase the Sit N Stand. It was far more roomy and comfortable than the Joovy. And I love the parent tray and cup holders. At first, my son got a kick out of getting in and out by himself and deciding whether to stand or sit. The novelty has worn off and after a few uses, it is still in the garage. We use our P3 always and my DS loves to stand and ride on the back. He is very comfortable doing that and my DD is very comfy in her cushy P3 that lays all the way back to sleep. We even use the P3 for Disney/Universal, day trips like that. My DD can nap, and my DS is just fine jumping on and off as he pleases. I have considered a DuoGlider, but my husband tells me I am nuts. I don't think my DS would go for it either.

Grace

MaddiesMommy
06-26-2007, 11:28 PM
I love my E3 also. I didn't have a jogging stroller yet, so I thought this was perfect for us in so many ways. My older dd, who is now almost 3.5 yrs old does not usually ride in strollers anymore. But the E3 is handy for trips to the zoo or other outdoor places where she might get tired after a while. She loves sitting in the back seat, which she probably shouldn't be doing anymore b/c of her weight. I think she's over the 33 lb weight limit. The only bad thing for when you have the double seat attached to the back of the stroller is that there's no place to hang a diaper bag. I had thought about getting the pannier bags that attach to the sides, but haven't yet.

Good luck deciding!

Janine