PDA

View Full Version : So does anyone else "CVS" and coupon regularly?

Momof3Labs
08-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I recently got drawn into shopping at CVS and it amazes me how much you can get cheap or free by using coupons (their policies are pretty generous) and their ECB program. I've only shopped 3 weeks but have gotten over $200 in stuff for about $45.

Yes, I'll end up with a whole lot more than we can use, but in that case, I happily donate my excess to the local food pantry - and they happily accept my donation!

So is anyone else doing this? We should start a thread on it - I think that many would join us if they understood how to play the system (within the rules - none of this is about cheating)!

cchavez
08-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't do it that often but would love it if there was a weekly thread!!!

Puddy73
08-01-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't, but I'm definitely interested in learning to play the game!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/08/03 & Finn 10/31/05

"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffett

missym
08-01-2007, 11:08 AM
I've been couponing for a while but I'm just beginning to get into the CVS thing. It's much easier now that ECB's print instantly.

There is a great forum on HotCouponWorld with tips on how to get started, coupon matchups, printables, etc. I'm lazy and let the folks there figure out the best deals for me. ;)
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

This thread is an amazing resource for beginners to CVS saving:
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28157

ETA: Don't be turned off by the gaudy colors of HCW. It's a great site, and if you register you can change to color scheme to "plain ol' boring gray."

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03 and Rebecca 09/05

http://bf.lilypie.com/r2Qhm4.png

Radosti
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I went last night and bought so much stuff:

6 - 8pack of Bounty Basic at $4.99 each
3 - jumbo packs of Pampers at $7.99 each
1 - pack of Kandoo Wipe refills $4.59
1 - bottle of 50 advils $5.45

After my huge mess of coupons and my previously earned Extra care bucks ($15), I paid a total of $6.49

I am very proud of myself. I have no idea how I did it. Plus, he refused a few of my coupons, otherwise, it'd have been cheaper. Awesome deal!

Momof3Labs
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I've been reading over there this week, but there is so much information and you really have to dig through threads to find the useful tidbits. I'm thinking that we could start a thread here but keep it more manageable size-wise for those that don't have the time to keep up with HCW.

For those just starting, the first thing I'd recommend is saving your coupons from your Sunday paper (and extras, if you can get your hands on them)!! If you have time, go take a peek at HCW to see what kind of deals people are getting!

AmyZ
08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Yes, I'd love to learn. I don't make it to CVS very much, but after that Huggies diaper deal - I'd be interested in other people's helpful hints. I've got $15 of ECB to spend by the middle of Aug. and I'd like to get some good deals!

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

missym
08-01-2007, 01:22 PM
I have $30 in ECB to spend, and I think I'm going to roll them into next week's Kraft deal (get $20 wyb $20). There are a couple of coupons for participating items so that will be a moneymaker.

Also, AquaFresh Advanced is free after ECB plus I've got a coupon so I'll make $$ on that as well.

See details of the ad for 8/5-8/11 here:
http://www.hotcouponworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41165

sidmand
08-01-2007, 01:32 PM
I just started with the Huggies deal although on and off I have gone to CVS, but never regularly. I do have about $37 in ECB to use by mid-August though! So I need to get on the ball. I've been checking out the circulars, but I'm not very religious about it.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

missym
08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
HCW can be overwhelming, that's for sure. Sometimes I just have to take a break from it.

If you'd like to start a thread, I'll be happy to contribute. I love getting free stuff to give to the women's shelter (and my own stockpile makes me quite happy).

My CVS tip for the day is pretty basic: get an ExtraCare card (or several) and sign up for the email updates. You'll periodically get $/$$ or prescription coupons that way.

Tondi G
08-01-2007, 06:52 PM
What is the ECB program?

danagee
08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
So after reading info on the other sites, did I understand correctly that you have the ability to extend the expiration date of ECB dollars?
I understood that if you add more ECB dollars to your balance that will extend the expiration date of the old dollars to the expiration date of the newest dollars.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

sidmand
08-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't think that's quite true (although I might be reading it wrong). What I'm thinking they mean is say you have an ECB (Extra Care Buck) that expires 8/15. If you buy something by 8/15 that costs $15 and use the ECB (to buy things that get you ECBs) then you have effectively rolled it over...because it now prints out on your receipt, I don't think there is any other way to have a balance. You have to use the printed receipt.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I *think* that's what was meant by "rolling it over."

From HCW:
When your ECB's print out the clock starts ticking. You have approximately 30 days before they expire. Let's say you buy something on April 18th that generates an ECB. That ECB will expire on or about May 18th. On April 25th you take that ECB and roll it by buying something else that earns an ECB and now you have an ECB that is good until May 25th. You've just extended the expiration by a week. That's what we call rolling.

Debbie

ETA: To fix acronym!

sidmand
08-01-2007, 07:28 PM
They also mentioned that an unadvertised special is that when you purchase the One Touch Mini Glucose monitor (which I was thinking about getting anyway!) you get 10 ECBs. Many people have the $20 off coupon and the monitor is $19.99 so you're effectively getting $10 for free! I think I saw that coupon and figured if it was $20 off the monitor must cost $80 and didn't save it! :(

Oh well. It's still a decent deal. I bought one today for $19.99, got the 10 ECBs and used some of my old ECBs to buy it, plus a couple of CVS coupons ($4 off $20 AND $5 off $30) so although it wasn't as good as it could have been, it still was pretty good for me.

It may expire Saturday and be good for up to 5 monitors. If you have the coupons, it's a great deal!

Debbie

Momof3Labs
08-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Okay, here's what I did today with DH's card, first time using it (you can sign up and get a card right in the store):

Pantene 25oz shampoo: sale $5.99
Pantene 13.5oz conditioner: 4.99
Irish Spring soap 3pk: sale 1.99
Infusium leave-in conditioner: sale 5.00
Aquafresh Advanced: sale 2.99
Aquafresh Advanced: sale 2.99
Lady Speed Stick 24/7: sale 1.99
J&J Softlotion: sale 4.49

Total: $30.43

Less:

CVS $5 off of $30 coupon: -5.00
CVS $3 off $15 haircare: -3.00
Pantene BOGO free: -4.99
Pantene $3 off 25oz: -3.00
Irish Spring: -0.30
Infusium: -3.00
Aquafresh BOGO free: -2.99
Lady Speed Stick: -1.00
J&J Softlotion printable: -4.00 (https://www.johnsonsforyou.com/meltawaystresscoupon_thanks.jsp)

Coupon total: -27.28

Net (paid in cash): 3.15

And received the following ECB's back (that can be used like cash in a future transaction):

Irish Spring $1
Lady Speed Stick $1
Aquafresh $2.99

Total ECB's received: $4.99

Note that you must use ECB's with the card they were issued with, so if you have more than one card with your household (which is allowed), keep the cards and ECB's straight!

Some other deals going on right now:

Kotex (certain products): Sale 2/$5, less coupon from last Sunday $2 off two packs, get $1 ECB back per package bought, so $3 for two packs plus $2 to use next time (limit 5)

Aquafresh: Sale $2.99, get $2.99 ECB back (limit 3). Rumor is that there is a $2 coupon in this Sunday's paper, so you'd pay 0.99 per tube and get 2.99 in ECB back.

Aquify contact solution: Sale 4.99, get 4.99 ECB back (limit 1).

Olay Ribbons bodywash: Sale $3.99. There were BOGO free coupons a couple of weeks ago in the paper, plus coupons such as $6 off of purchase of 3. So if you had 3 BOGO free coupons, you could buy 6 for $23.94, less $11.97 (three free), and then use the $6 coupon for a net of $5.97 for six body washes. BUT, there's also a coupon out there for $4 off of a skincare purchase of $20 (based on your pre-coupon total) that you could use, so $1.97 for six body washes.

Two weeks ago, Loreal Vive Pro shampoo was BOGO free at CVS. You could use the BOGO free coupons from the Sunday paper and get two bottles free - one from CVS and one from the manuf coupon.

Next week, you buy $20 (pre-coupons) worth of certain Kraft foods (DiGiorno pizza, Nabisco cookies and crackers, Post cereal, etc) and get back a $20 ECB. Combine that with the $4/$20 CVS coupon and manufacturer's coupons (bunch of $1/Post cereal coupons last Sunday) and pay a lot less than $20 to get that $20 ECB.

Note that my CVS will take expired CVS coupons, but not expired manufacturer's coupons. If you have problems at one CVS, try another one. And let customer service know (1-800-SHOP-CVS) as they will call and tell the store what they should be doing.

Here's a link to a $4/$20 coupon; HCW has the link for the haircare, skincare and other coupons (or maybe someone else can dig those up) - note, remove space after http: and before gif to get to link:

http: //www.extracarerewards.com/welcome/welcome_081207. gif

Momof3Labs
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Each ECB prints on your receipt with a specific expiration date, and that's what you redeem on your next deal. You can NOT extend that expiration date for that specific ECB. But say you have a $2 ECB. If you use it to buy something that also generates a $2 ECB, then you've effectively extended the life of that $2. The expiration dates printed, though, are hard and fast.

robertrose
08-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Holy cow. I can't beleive the deals at CVS. I shop there once in a while, but only on emergency basis. hmm.

So---You can "STACK" coupons. I mean, I see the first few you used could be used together? Wow.

I signed up for en Extra Care card a while ago, but have moved in between. Maybe thats why I dont get anything from them??? I should get another card!

I'm in!}(
Grace

missym
08-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Stacking of CVS coupons depends on the scenario. Lori stacked two "different types" of coupons - one general $/$$ and one $/$$ on specific products. This seems to always work according to what I've read.

For generic $/$$ coupons, you probably shouldn't try to stack them unless your total equals the combined total on the coupons. So to stack a $5/$30 and a $4/$20, your total should be at least $50 before coupons. Some people do stack them with $30 total to start with, but I think that's a misuse of the coupons - and many stores won't allow it.

Stacking manufacturer coupons and CVS coupons is always ok. As Lori showed, if the store is running a BOGO sale and you have a BOGO coupon, you should get both products free.

SJ mom
08-01-2007, 10:17 PM
Forgive my ignorance...what is the difference between a $5 off $20 purchase vs. ECB? what does ECB stand for?

missym
08-02-2007, 06:19 AM
ECB = Extra Care Buck. You earn instant ECBs by buying certain products during promotions, and then can use them like cash at CVS for later purchases (with certain exclusions, like alcohol, lottery, gift cards, prescriptions, etc.). You also earn quarterly ECB based on your overall spending. ECB generally expire 4 weeks after they are generated.

CRT = Cash Register Tape. These are CVS coupons which print at the end of your receipt. They usually have shorter expiration periods. Sometimes these are $/$$ and sometimes they are $ off specific products.

Email = CVS also emails coupons to Extra Care customers. These can include $/$$ and prescription coupons.

HTH!

ETA: Forgot to mention that you can't carry over or get "change" from the ECB. If it's for $15, your total should be $15 or more or you'll lose the excess.

nupe
08-02-2007, 07:07 AM
I thought you could call customer service to extend the date of ECB but not coupons. I recall reading that on another forum somewhere.

nupe
08-02-2007, 07:10 AM
RE: the loreal vive from a few weeks back.
It was BOGO at CVS. I purchased 4. I used 1 manuf BOGO coupon and 1 manuf $1 off coupon, so I got 4 bottles for $1 less than the price of one bottle.

Corie
08-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Do you guys offer a CVS Correspondence Course?

CVS Coupons 101 would be great. :)

GB
08-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I get the CVS emails with the $/$$ coupons. Can I use them more than once with the same card on separate transactions?

Momof3Labs
08-02-2007, 08:42 AM
You used to be able to do that, but not any more.

Momof3Labs
08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
If you follow the language on the coupon, each one they send you is good only once per card. But in reality many people have used them over and over and CVS allows it. There is some talk, though, that CVS is going to revamp the system so that e-mail coupons can't be shared and can't be used more than once per card. All the more reason to give them your e-mail so that you get your own supply of coupons!

swampnurse
08-02-2007, 04:48 PM
OK, i got curious and checked out the CVS site since there is no store in the San Francisco Bay Area. I signed up for teh EBC thing but it doesn't seem to offer as much online. Is it worth it? If so, what do people shop for online there.

Way back last year i bought some Depends Boost Inserts to use in my sons's diapers and they were so cheap w/ free shipping. I see that they still have those at the great price, but what else???? :)

calebsmama03
08-02-2007, 05:01 PM
LOL that's what I was thinking! Unfortunately there's no CVS in the state! :(

FWIW, there's a $1.50 coup on the aquify site for those lucky enough to be able to shop CVS. ;)

staramama
08-02-2007, 08:49 PM
My favorites dipes are the CVS Explorers Supreme (the ones with Snoopy on them). They are often on sale for 'buy one, get one half price'--is that BOGO?
You girls have my head in a spin...
I'm going to have to re-read this thread after a good night's sleep...

karolyp
08-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I am a HUGE CVS fan too and was so happy to see this thread.

When shopping there, I try to use my ECB to buy things that generate ECB so that almost no money comes out of my pocket. That and I try to combine sales, with CVS coupons, and with manufacturer coupons. I've also noticed that it really depends on the cashier as to what coupons they will accept or not. Anyhow, I went there last night and got almost $50 worth of product (pantene, always, infusium, bandaids) for $1.50 after coupons and ECB!!!! SCORE!!!!

kransden
08-03-2007, 11:38 AM
WOW! I am going to have to check this out. They are building a CVS right by my house. I usually hate club cards, but this one sounds like it actually rewards you. I never even thought about getting the free items and donating them to the local shelter. What a good idea. So I am going to have to get a club card when it opens.

Thanks Ladies!!!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Jacksmommy2b
08-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks for this thread!

I checked out the other coupon site and after a little planning I hit CVS first thing this morning.

After transfering a Rx - I got my $25 gift card and got $40 in groceries and 2 tubes of toothpaste for $11.00 OOP and $46.00 in ECBs!

I think CVS is going to become a regular stop for me.

Thanks again!

karolyp
08-06-2007, 08:26 AM
So what are you getting from CVS this week? :)

MomtoNico
08-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I bought coffee and peanuts- got back 20 dollars. I also bought toothpaste. The aquafresh. The Aquafresh is really a monthly deal. You can buy 3 and get back 2.99 each - which makes it free.
I used coupons for the aqua fresh and a 4 dollars off 20- I get the coupons from slickdeals. So I actually made money in this deal.

missym
08-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I am SO excited about this week. Between ECB and coupons I'll make $$ on the Kraft deal on both cards. My only question is this - is it wrong to purchase $20 in Oreo's? ;)

ETA: Here's my plan for the week:
I'm going to do the Aquafresh Advanced deal (assuming I can find them in stock) so that I can use the $2.99 ECB for each one toward the $20 Kraft purchase. I've already got $15 ECB on each card from the Huggies deal. Plus I have $4/20 email coupon to use for one card.

There are manufacturer's coupons for a few of the Kraft items:
Post Cereal $1/2, exp 9/9/07
Post Honey Bunches Of Oats $1/2, exp 9/9/07
Ritz Crackers (14.5 oz +) AND Any Kraft or Cracker Barrel Natural Cheese $1/2, exp 9/30/07 (cheese isn't included in the $20 deal)

Other deals:
1. I have a raincheck from the Aquify deal last week, so I'll get that free.
2. The $5 ECB on $15 medicine deal looks interesting (pg 16) since there are a lot of manuf coupons out for Tylenol, Motrin, Viactiv, etc. I'll post a scenario if I decide to try it.

karolyp
08-06-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree - it is a good week indeed!!

But my cvs will not issue rainchecks on the free item after ecb (like last weeks aquify) - I wonder why?

sidmand
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
I think I did pretty well for my first "official" time! My CVS was out of Aquafresh Advanced and I had a $2 off and $1 off coupon so that changed my total a bit, but not so much:

2 DiGiorno pizzas
2 Triscuits
1 Oreo cookies
1 Honey Maid Grahams
2 Berry Propels
2 Tylenol PM gel caps
1 Kotex pads
4 12-packs of soda
1 Children's Motrin
1 Children's Tylenol
2 Hershey's bagged candy

$10 off $50 printable coupon
$10 off $50 CRT
$15 ECB
$10 ECB
$2 ECB
$3 ECB
@ $12 in manufacturer's coupons

oop $5.79 on a purchase that was $80 something before sales and coupons! And I received 30 ECB to use in the future.

But I think I'm going to have to check out my other CVS for Aquafresh.

I also had a problem with the getting the ECBs for the Kraft deal. My CVS had the Kraft sign attached to some Cheez Its that were also on sale for the same price, but not part of the Kraft deal! Very confusing. So I returned them, they rang them up, but since it wasn't one purchase, it didn't register. The assistant manager claimed it would be on my card anyway. I don't think that's true now that the ECBs print on your CRT, so I had to return all the Kraft stuff and repurchase. Not a huge deal, but by the time it was all said and done and they figured it out, it probably took an extra 1/2 hour! If it wasn't the $20 ECBs I probably would have given up!

Debbie

Momof3Labs
08-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Okay, here were my trips this week. I have two cards (mine and DH's); did two trips on my card and one on DH's. I spent more on DH's card because it was only the second trip out (didn't have a lot of ECBs on his card), but I was willing because the Kraft deal is so good and it is stuff that we will eat.

My first trip (my card):

2.99 Excedrin Back & Body
2.50 Tylenol PM Rapid Release
2.99 Aquafresh Advanced (limit is 3 for August; I bought one here)
8.00 Honeycomb cereal x4 (DH's favorite)
2.50 Nutter Butters (for mama)
2.50 Honeymaid Grahams
4.00 Honey Bunches of Oats x2
4.00 Ritz x2
29.48 Total

Minus:
2.00 Excedrin Back & Body coupon
1.00 Excedrin CRT
1.00 Tylenol PM Rapid Release coupon
2.00 Aquafresh Advanced coupon
2.00 $1/2 Post cereals x2
1.00 $1/2 Honey Bunches of Oats cereal
0.70 0.35 off Nabisco cookie PLUS Nabisco cracker x2
4.00 $4/$20 CVS coupon
15.00 ECB

Out of pocket (OOP): 97 cents
ECB earned: 22.99

Second trip (my card):

15.00 Children's Motrin x3 (we go through this like water)
2.99 Aquafresh Advanced
2.99 Nail trimmer
3.49 Toenail trimmer
0.50 Reese's PB cup
3.98 Huggies Swim dipes x2
5.98 Huggies sunscreen x2
34.93 Total

Minus:
2.00 Huggies swim dipe coupon x2
3.00 Huggies sunscreen coupon x2
2.00 Aquafresh Advanced coupon
1.49 Nail trimmer BOGO 50% off (CVS deal)
4.00 $4/$20 CVS coupon
20.00 ECB from Kraft deal

Out of pocket: 2.62
ECB earned: 7.99

DH's card (found a bunch of clearance stuff that increased my total):

1.25 Sudacare shower (clearance)
0.99 Ice Cubes gum BOGO package
1.25 Ocean saline children's (clearance)
2.50 Tylenol PM Rapid Release
0.59 Velcro cord wraps (clearance)
4.00 Honey Bunches of Oats x2
2.50 Honey Maid Grahams
2.00 Wheat Thins
2.50 Nutter Butters (found out DS1 likes them, had to replenish)
0.50 Curel lotion x2 (clearance)
0.71 Inkjet labels (clearance)
11.00 DiGiorno pizza

Minus:
1.00 Tylenol PM Rapid Release coupon
1.00 $1/2 Honey Bunches of Oats
4.00 $4/$20 CVS Coupon
4.99 ECBs

Out of pocket: $19.xx
ECB earned: $20

About the coupons: the Aquafresh Advanced and Tylenol coupons were in the 8/5 paper. The Post cereal and Nabisco cookie/cracker coupons were in the 7/29 paper. The Excedrin coupon was 2-3 weeks ago (with a refund for up to $2.99 if your purchase price exceeded the $2 coupon), and the Huggies coupons were part of a mailer that I got earlier this summer.

Another deal: buy 2 different Lysol products and get a $5 rebate on your next pediatrician visit (with receipt or bill from the ped). Form is at the Lysol website. Basically makes the two Lysol products free, and there are $1 coupons in the 8/5 and (I think) 7/29 paper to make this a money-maker.

gatorruth
08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
WOW!! You are great detectives! I just got back from my very first trip to CVS. I had to do it after dc were asleep-- I knew I couldn't take them- too distracting. I never had a CVS card, so this is my first experience with 'saving' so much money-- I'm sure I'll do better next time!!

Bought:
Boost 5.99
Boost 5.99
goldfish 2 for $3
Aquafresh advanced 2.99
cvs envelopes 1.59 ea (BOGO)- I got 2 packs
S beach protein bars 2 for $5 (I got 8 total packages to total $20)

Got back:
1.59 for envelopes
$3 coupon for boost
$2 ECB boost
2.99 ECB for aquafresh
$20 for kraft items

Spent $44
Got $29.59 back

So $14 bucks for all that stuff-- even though I didnt' see that aquafresh coupon (or any others that I missed!) I still think I got a good deal.

Keep this post going-- this is fun-- almost like a treasure hunt!!

westgre
08-07-2007, 04:52 AM
Ok, here's what I did this week.
Transaction #1
2 boxes of cereal $4.00
3 boxes of Mac and cheese $6.00
2 pizzas $11.00
total $21.84
ECB $20.00

Transaction #2
4 cases of Coke $11.00
Huggies wipes refill 232 ct. $5.99
Intuition razor refill 3 pack $6.99
I used my ECB
total $4.22

Total out of pocket $26.06. I could've done better if I'd had coupons. But, still, I think a good deal for stuff I needed anyway.

karolyp
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
While I said in an earlier post that I love CVS and their ECB program - I am getting somewhat frustrated and actually e-mailed their CS today. Lately, the stuff that they have for free (or almost free) is ALWAYS out of stock at not one, not two, but three CVS's that are in my local area. I went today to get the aquafresh and they were out of that and out of many of the Kraft food items. Last week they were sold out of the aquify solution, the week before carefree (and it goes on and on). I just feel that if they are going to promote it, then they should have enough in stock to last the week.

Momof3Labs
08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Around here, you definitely need to be there on Sunday to get the pick of the deals. If they are out of stock, ask for rainchecks. They will give a raincheck for the item with the price NET of the ECBs. Also, ask your stores when they get their truck for the week; they will often have more that evening once they've had a chance to put it all on the shelves.

FWIW, the Aquafresh deal is for the entire month of August (you can get up to 3 tubes per card) so there is still time on that one!

shoppingaddict
08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for opening my eyes to all the great deals at CVS. This week I go

2 boxes wheat thins
2 boxes velveeta shells and cheese
2 boxes easy mac and cheese
4 boxes honey bunches of oats
2 6 packs of gatorade
1 Pantene shampoo
3 Herbal essence shampoos
2 Almay eyeliners (buy 1 get 1/2 off)
1 aquafresh toothpate

I used the following coupons

$10 of $50 purchase
$3 off Pantene
$3 off Herbal Essence
$2 CVS coupon on purchase of Almay cosmetics
$1 Almay coupon
$2 aquafresh
ECB- 15.98

I paid 22.27 and got $24.99 in ECB!
Thanks!

jennkate
08-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Any idea if CVS takes competitors coupons? There is a $3 off Pampers coupon from Target that would be great to combine with their pampers sale this week . . .

Link to target coupon: http://coupons.50webs.org

MaddiesMommy
08-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Debbie,

What does CRT stand for? I've been thinking and thinking, and it's not coming to me.

Thanks!

Janine

octmom
08-08-2007, 08:03 AM
I think it must stand for cash register tape.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

danagee
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Does anyone have a link to a $4 off $20 coupon? I had one but it expired last month, didnt know if there's another one out.

Dana,
Bitten by the CVS bug

MaddiesMommy
08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Dana,

If you send me your email address, I can forward it to you.

Janine

missym
08-08-2007, 10:03 AM
CRT = Cash Register Tape. These are CVS coupons which print at the end of your receipt. They usually have shorter expiration periods. Sometimes these are $/$$ and sometimes they are $ off specific products.

nupe
08-08-2007, 10:16 AM
There are pdf versions of many of these coupons on the sd website.
Go to SD
Click on Forums
Click on Coupons
Right now the thread is on page 2 of coupons
Thread title starts out as: **** CVS Coupon Thread Post
The *second* response under this thread usually has the updated pdf coupon files, and includes a coupon for $25 GC w/new or transferred prescription.

missym
08-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Just a heads up, there have been altered (fraudulent) coupons posted to SD in the past (and currently - the $4/20 that expires in December is altered). CVS is starting to catch on and be more wary of accepting printed coupons. I've read on another forum that the $25 prescription coupon you mentioned isn't being accepted at some CVS stores due to people printing it multiple times.

You can call 1-800-SHOP-CVS and request a prescription coupon be mailed to you.

MaddiesMommy
08-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I've been too chicken to try the coupons posted on SD. I've stuck with the ones that have been emailed to me. I think I'll call the 800 # for a prescription coupon. Thanks for the tip!

Janine

Momof3Labs
08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
My CVS does not; I'm not aware that any do.

choi07
08-08-2007, 03:31 PM
CVS ROCKS! I don't think I'll amass the stockpiles I saw pics of on hotcouponworld but even in smaller doses the deals are super!

I took advantage of the Kraft deal earlier in the week and paid $10 for the $20 in food items, went back today and purchased the following:

4 12 packs diet coke
2 infants Tylenol
1 infants Motrin
2 boxes envelopes (BOGOF)
1 box CVS brand cotton swabs
1 birthday card

paid with:
2 $1 off manuf. coup for tylenol
1 $1 off " " " motrin
$4/20 CVS coup
$20 ECB
$6.13 OOP

and got back $6 ECB. Play it right and its outta sight!

amy

MomtoNico
08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Look at slickdeals.net go to forums then hot deals then so a search under- cvs coupons thread- there is a bunch of coupons posted in the second post. I would post the link but I am having computer problems. Sorry.
its updated all the time so check it before heading out to CVS.

xmasbabycomin
08-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Anybody else having problems printing? I've printed from that same thread before but when I open tis newer $4 it opens as a blank window (???)

karolyp
08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I have one and can e-mail it if you want.

danagee
08-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Heyoooo!! It works! Thanks, i'll save that one to my favorites.

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

xmasbabycomin
08-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks a bunch! I emailed you (well, I think I did...first time trying that here :) )

Jacksmommy2b
08-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I can't wait to wake up early tomorrow and go to CVS!

If all my math is right (and all coupons are taken) I'll leave with $52.00 in stuff for $2.30 OOP and almost $28.00 in new ECBs!

I <heart> CVS!

robertrose
08-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Do share your plan for this week please. :-)

I have yet to try this "CVS"ing. Everytime I try to gather coupons and look at the flyer, it doesn't seem to work out as well as it seems for others. I want to master this as well! :D

Grace

hellokitty1
08-12-2007, 12:19 AM
So I haven't gotten into the CVS ECB but our local paper has a Retailing section and below is an example of the level of detail the columnist provides. I thought I'd share in case this is helpful. An added plus is that this columnist identifies existing coupons that can be used in conjunction. And for those that don't do ECB, her column covers all the major grocery and drug stores in my area that may be in your area as well. Here's her link:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/takingstock/index.php

And here's an example of this past week's column on CVS:

So let’s break from tradition and start with CVS this week. (Prices good through Saturday, Aug. 11):

Here’s how that $20 deal works. You go buy $20 in Kraft products. Those include Post cereal (two for $4), Nabisco crackers (two for $4), South Beach Cereal Bars (two for $5), DiGorno pizzas (two for $11), Easy Mac and Velveeta Shells (two for $4), Nabisco cookies (two for $5), Planters nuts (two for $7) and Maxwell House Master Blend Coffee (two for $12). OK, so you go pick out $20 worth of those products. You buy them for $20.

When you check out, the register receipt will contain a coupon for $20 ExtraCare Bucks that you can use on a future purchase. (For a more detailed explanation of the ExtraCare Bucks program, click here.) You could also use the $1 off two coupon on the cereals from July 28 or the 35 cents off when you buy a Nabisco cookie and a Nabisco cracker coupon to save more. So, at this point, you’ve already gotten $20 in free stuff. If you’ve used the coupons, you’ve actually gotten paid to take the stuff away.

Then, if it were me, I would turn around and use my $20 ExtraCare Bucks to collect items for that Kellogg’s $10 rebate that was in Sunday’s coupon inserts. Pop Tarts, Yogos, Rice Krispie Treats and Cheez-Its are all on sale and all had coupons in that same Kellogg’s coupon insert, except for Cheez-Its which had a coupon on July 28. So you use the coupons to pick up your 10 items and you pay using the $20 in ExtraCare Bucks. Then you mail away for your rebate and end up with probably somewhere near $40 in stuff for about $10. I know it involves some work, but if you’re willing to do it, that’s a great deal.

Otherwise at CVS this week:
*Aquafresh Advanced is FREE after an ExtraCare Bucks rebate. So you’ll pay $2.99 for the toothpaste and then get a $2.99 ExtraCare Bucks coupon. Or, if you have the $2 manufacturer’s coupon from Sunday, you’ll pay 99 cents and get a $2.99 ExtraCare Bucks rebate. That’s a fine deal...
*Hershey’s cookies are on sale for $2 a box, and there was a 75-cent coupon Sunday.
*Chex Mix is $1.50 a bag and there was a 50-cent coupon Sunday.
*Revlon ColorSilk is two for $5 and there was a $1 off two coupon on Sunday.
*L’Oreal Feria is on sale for $7.99 and there was a $1 coupon Sunday.
*L’Oreal Excellence is $8.99 and there is a $3 ExtraCare Bucks rebate when you buy it. You could then also use the $2 off one or $5 off two L’Oreal hair color coupon from July 22 to make the final cost $3.99 for one or $6.98 for two.
*L’Oreal Vive Pro shampoo and conditioner is $4.79 with a $1 ExtraCare Buck rebate. Then there was a buy one get one coupon on July 15. You’d get an ExtraCare Buck for each one you buy, so you’d end up paying $2.79 for two, which is a very good deal.
*Gillette Fusion razors are $9.99 or $8.99, depending on the type. There was a $4 coupon on Sunday.
*And don’t miss the Tylenol ExtraCare Bucks deal, which gives you $5 ExtraCare Bucks when you buy $15 in qualifying products. Those products include a host of Tylenol items plus Visine, Cortaid, Viactiv, Pepcid, Rolaids, Mylanta and Immodium. There were Tylenol coupons in Sunday’s paper and there are coupons for many of the other products. All told you could probably end up paying half-price.
*Benefiber items are 20 percent off and there was a $2 coupon on July 15.
*Boost is $5.99 or $6.99, depending on the type, with a $1 ExtraCare Buck rebate. Then you could use the $3 off two coupon from July 15 to save more.
*And finally don’t miss the $8 off your order of $40 offer when you place an order on CVS.com. That’s good through the 10th (Friday).

danagee
08-12-2007, 08:19 AM
At the bottom left corner of that blog you shared with us is a list of freebies!
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/takingstock/index.php

Dana
ds 8/04 * dd 1/06

Momof3Labs
08-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Okay, here's what I ended up with today; most of it is cheap or free after ECBs. Note that I actually did five transactions over two cards, so I used some of the ECBs earned on earlier transactions to pay for later ones. I know that a lot of people weren't excited about this week vs. last week, but I got an awful lot of stuff with ECBs left over! ECBs earned are in parentheses following items; I list coupons with the items for easy reference.

Ascensia Contour diabetic monitor 9.99 (9.99 ECB) rebate in box for $50 (YMMV)
Aquafresh Cavity, Tartar cont or Extra Fresh 0.99 less 0.75 manuf Q
Advil PM caplets 20ct 4.49 less $2 printable (4.99 ECB)
Ban Solid 2/$5 less two 0.75 manuf Qs (3.00 ECB)
Schick Quattro Single $2 less $2 manuf Q
Venus Breeze 8.99 less $2 manuf Q (5.00 ECB)
Kotex Ultrathin w/ and w/o wings 3.39, BOGO for $1 less $2/2 manuf Q (1.00 ECB per package, limit 5)
Colgate Total Adv clean or MaxFresh Burst 2.99 less 0.75 or 1.00 manuf Q (2.00 ECB per tube, limit 3)
Caress bodywash 3.99 less 0.70 manuf Q (2.00 ECB)
Softsoap pump 2.49 less 0.35 manuf Q (1.00 ECB)
Skippy PB 18oz 1.50 (3.00 ECB WYB $10)
Tylenol ES Rapid Release 4.99 less $1 manuf Q (2.50 ECB)

I also got Pampers Feel n Learn Jumbo on sale for 8.50/pack, less Q for $3 per pack, and one free Kandoo product. OOP was $11 for almost $25 of stuff.

My total merchandise was almost $290 (diabetic monitors were regular $79.99, I got two) and OOP was about $17, plus I have the two monitor rebates to send in (may get 9.99 back on those, may get 50, may get nothing - who knows).

Happy shopping!!

mykidsmom
08-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Is this CVS thing only a good deal IF you will use the items you are buying?

Momof3Labs
08-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Generally, yes. We'll use a lot of what we get, and what we won't use, I'll donate to our food pantry or women's shelter.

nehamamtani
08-12-2007, 11:50 PM
And that's the main reason I stopped doing this. It requires a little bit more planning than I have time now that I have gone back to work. As an overtime-working mommy, I don't have time to go through all of this when we don't use half of those products.

I had so many free toothpastes and toothbrushes in my house. And shampoos and body washes. And random food we don't eat. We literally could not use it fast enough. I even tried to give as much shampoo and body washes (almost all free) as I could when we had overseas relatives coming. Otherwise, I donated as much as I could before it went bad. Unfortunately, it was a lot of time and energy to spend, and I actually had to reshift the kind of buying I was doing.

gatorruth
08-13-2007, 06:21 AM
And I was wondering what all of these people are going to do with a glucose monitor?? It costs $10 and you get $10 in ECBs... so it's a wash unless you NEED it!!

Someone please explain it!!
Thanks!

missym
08-13-2007, 06:48 AM
I'd guess most non-diabetics will donate it or try to sell it in a yard sale. However, the real cost is the strips, so this won't do much good for the person receiving it unless they just need a new monitor anyway.

There may be a coupon out there, which would make this a $$ maker. Otherwise, folks are using it to rollover their ECB (extend the expiration date until there is something they do want/need to buy).

missym
08-13-2007, 06:57 AM
I donate what we won't use to the local women's shelter. It's easy for me because I drive past it every day on my way to work. It breaks my heart to see how excited the kids (and adults) get over a box of toiletries.

Some folks sell their extra stuff in a yard sale, making pretty good $$ on things that were free or $$ makers to start with.

Like a PP said, it can take over your life if you let it. I limit my purchasing based on my storage space and whether I think my family or the shelter will benefit from the items. HTH!

Momof3Labs
08-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Yep, using it to extend ECBs here, then will donate it. Though DH wants to keep one since he suspects he is borderline diabetic.

cchavez
08-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Do you need an Rx for the monitor?

so afar I have 22.00 of ECB due to the kraft deal and toothpaste....I plan on using them this weekend for our tax free weekdand and I can get tax free diapers using my ECB!

xmasbabycomin
08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Don't need an RX for the monitor. Also, I believe it does come with 10 strips so that would help someone a bit who didn't need the monitor (esp if you're just getting it basically free if you're rolling over anyway).

gatorruth
08-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Sooo- what are you all doing with CVS this week? I wasn't impressed with any of the deals. I guess I got spoiled by the $20 Kraft deal...

mskitty
08-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I *might* go roll a couple of my $3 and $5 ECBs this week on the free Seabreeze and a few of the BOGO items with coupons. Nothing really jumped out at me either.

I'm sitting on some money from the Kraft deal.. so far the only thing that interests me is the BOGO on real Kleenex in a couple of weeks. No ECBs but it would be something I'd actually use and the women's shelters desperately need.

I spent a lot of upfront money with the Kraft deal and $10 Kelloggs mail in rebate at Walgreens with the RR. My checkbook needs a breather anyway :)

MsKitty