PDA

View Full Version : organic milk boxes-- where to buy in bulk cheaply?

octmom
09-06-2007, 01:05 PM
DS's new preschool required us to send in snacks and lunch, unlike his old daycare. I realize that I just missed an Amazon deal on Horizon milk boxes. Any other deals on these? Does Costco carry them? We don't have Costco in my town, but I am the second cardholder on my mom's account and I can get to one without too much trouble. Is Horizon the only brand of organic milk boxes?

TIA!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

nd93
09-06-2007, 01:29 PM
I have seen them at Costco.

sidmand
09-06-2007, 01:34 PM
I just saw them at Costco a few days ago too. They also had a strawberry yogurt smoothie drink I was tempted to buy for DS. I'm not sure what flavors they had (the smoothie wasn't Horizon, but I think the others were), but they definitely had them.

Debbie
http://b3.lilypie.com/WT7Im4/.png[/img] (][img)

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev110pr___.png[/img] (][img)

chrissyhowie
09-06-2007, 01:48 PM
They do sell Horizon milk boxes at my local Costco, but it will vary which flavors they are stocking. Many times they do not have just the plain milk, only the chocolate or strawberry.

The recent Amazon discount brought the price down to the usual Costco price. So if you can get them at Costco you don't have to feel like you missed out on a real bargain via Amazon. The usual Amazon price is nearly double the usual Costco price for the same product.

HTH,

gatorruth
09-06-2007, 01:54 PM
I bought the Horizon boxes from amazon. DS (for some reason) doens't like them. I have much better luck sending milk in a sippy cup with an ice pack in the lunch box to keep everything cold... and it's much cheaper too!!

octmom
09-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks, ladies. I need to head to Richmond sometime in the next couple of weeks, so I will try Costco there and keep my fingers crossed that they will have the plain milkboxes in stock. I am sending one of those stainless Thermos straw cups in his lunchbox with water, but I think milk might taste funny in those. I may experiment with milk in a sippy, but DS bangs around his lunch box a lot before it makes it to his cubby, so I do worry about leaks. I like the fact that the boxes are shelf-stable and they are just so darned easy to pack!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

mama2g03
09-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Whole Foods has Organic Valley cases on sale for $19.99 right now. They also give you a 5% case discount on top of that. Don't know if you have one near you, but I picked up a case of vanilla milk for DS and they also had chocolate and plain. Don't remember if they had strawberry. Also, I think one of the coupon booklets by the front door has a $1 off coupon for Organic Valley milk.

lhk777
09-06-2007, 02:57 PM
They also have the exact same case of Horizon chocolate milk from Costco at Sam's Club too.

I think the prices are pretty similar.

I never really had a chance to do a price comparison since I just buy them at whichever store we are shopping at that weekend.

-Linda

chrissyhowie
09-06-2007, 03:02 PM
My kids too! They love the vanilla Horizon milk, but won't drink the plain Horizon milk.

There is definitely a difference in taste between the Horizon milk and regular refrigerated milk, but it tastes very similar to Parmalat. The small boxes of plain Horizon milk come in handy though when we occasionally run out of refrigerated milk before I can get to the store.

jerigirl
09-06-2007, 03:35 PM
This is definitely not the cheapest way to buy them, but yesterday at Walmart I found a 3 pack of Earth's Best 2% milk boxes for 2.92. They also had chocolate flavored too. So there are other brands out there besides Horizon.

Jeri

blastomom
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Richmond VA? We were just at the Broad St. Costco and all I saw was the chocolate.

mommymy
09-06-2007, 04:50 PM
also check out trader joe's. They have plain milk boxes for 4 for 2.99 I believe.

dotgirl
09-06-2007, 04:55 PM
We usually get the Horizon Organic Milk in Chocolate or Vanilla for DS & DD. We tried the Trader Joe's chocolate on a camping trip, and I have to say - it was pretty icky. I usually love TJ's stuff - great prices, organic options - but in this case, the Horizon is worth paying more, IMO.

MMMommy
09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
I've only seen the vanilla flavored and chocolate flavored Horizon milk boxes at Costco--never the plain kind.

octmom
09-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks, everyone. We've got Sam's Club here and DH says they had strawberry and chocolate Horizon milk boxes the last time we were there. I'd prefer to buy plain milk simply because DS still thinks chocolate milk is a real treat and I'd like to keep it that way. He's never tried strawberry.

I will check out deals at Whole Foods and just start keeping my eyes peeled at the grocery store. We usually shop at Harris Teeter, sometimes at Kroger or Giant. I *wish* we had Trader Joe's here, even if their milk boxes are not great. There are so many other yummy things at great prices. When we visit MIL in northern VA, we try to stop at TJ's whenever we can.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

octmom
09-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Yep. We are in Cville. The Broad Street Costco is the one I go to when I can make it over there. :)

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

octmom
09-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Thank you! We do have WF, and I will check it out.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

octmom
09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Good to know. I have to ask-- is 'Jeri' short for anything? I don't often see folks spelling it that way. My mom is a Jerilyn who goes by Jeri, spelled like your name. I go by Jerilyn.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

jerigirl
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
My maternal grandmother's name was "Jarreldean" (unusual spelling) but people called her "Jerry" for short. My parents couldn't see naming me Jarreldean/Geraldine so they picked "Jeri" instead. (Don't really know how they came about Jeri instead of Jerry or Geri.) My middle name is Lynn. So "Jeri Lynn" is my name but I have always just gone by "Jeri". I haven't seen too many other "Jeri's" either. That was always hard in school growing up.

new_mommy25
09-07-2007, 02:48 AM
One of my best friends is a Jeri Lynn. :)

jerigirl
09-07-2007, 10:32 AM
cool!!

Radosti
09-07-2007, 11:14 AM
OK, my inner nerd is oozing out here.

Interestingly enough, the mumps strain we use to produce the MMR vaccine that everyone ends up getting (young and old), is called Jeri Lynn. The reason for that is that mumps was impossible to culture for years and many have tried. One day, ages ago, our senior scientist's daughter Jeri Lynn, who was 8 at the time, walked up to him and told him that her throat hurts. He immediately recognized it as Mumps virus. He had always suspected that they were having trouble culturing the virus because the transit time from a patient's doctor's office to the research lab was too long. So, he whipped out his swabbing material (sterile), swabbed her throat, told his wife that their daughter had mumps... and went to work in the middle of the night. He successfully got Jeri Lynn's virus to grow in the lab and thus created the vaccine that has made mumps so uncommon these days. To this day, the strain of the virus is called Jeri Lynn.

Pretty neat... huh...

octmom
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
That is interesting!

I am assuming that when the name is split into two parts (Jeri Lynn), the i is pronounced as a long e. I pronounce it more like Jer- ih- lyn, but I answer to anything that sounds remotely close. Growing up in NY, people said Jer-uh-lyn more. In the south, I have heard more Jer-ee-lyn.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

octmom
09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
The part that always bummed me out when I was a kid was that I could never find anything pre-printed with my name on it-- pencils, keychains, bicycle license plates, etc. All the really important things that every kid wants. ;)

Of course now I cannot imagine having a different name. My parents were all set to name me Jennifer, but there were three other Jennifers in the hospital nursery when I was born, so they switched at the last minute and decided to name me after my mom.

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06