PDA

View Full Version : Discount on Dyson or other great vacuum cleaner?

wcminiati
09-22-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm fed up with yet another vacuum cleaner that stopped working. I'm tempted to buy the Dyson since I've read rave reviews about it. Does anyone know where I can get a discount on this pricey sucker, or know of another brand that's just as good but not as expensive?

newnana
09-22-2007, 11:23 AM
They are the same price at Linens N things and Bed Bath and Beyond as at other retailers, but they have a 20% off coupon that you can use that will save you a bunch. That's how we got ours.

glbb35
09-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I am interested in that a Dyson Ultimate Animal I think it's called. My mom called me after being referred to it and buying it as discussed with a LNT coupon when it was on sale. She said I have to have this vacuum. She said and I have yet to have her bring it over to borrow, that it literally brought a brightness to her carpet. She said she had always thought her carpets were clean and she vacuums several times a week as it is but she swore the Ultimate Animal pulled out stuff she never knew was there. She said the whole house just feels clean. I can't wait to try it. I am like you however I just don't know if I can justify the cost without some other input. I would imagine some awesome mom will see them on sale sometime and announce them on the bargain board. Any Dyson Ultimate Animal fans out there?

B

las710
09-22-2007, 04:32 PM
We just bought a new vacuum last week after we were told our baby has asthma. I did some research on ConsumerReports.com and the Sears Kenmore Progressive with Direct Drive Model #35922 rated #1. It is normally $330, but was on sale through today (at least) for $279. The Dyson Absolute Animal rated #11, but the consumer reviews of it were very good.

glbb35
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
That is good to know. How has the vacuum worked out for you so far? It is definitely at a better price point. Let me know. I need a vacuum that can handle the dog hair and sand that is tracked in from outside and everything that appears from having two boys (three including DH)!

We are looking at removing some of the rooms with carpet and putting in either a hardwood or a really nice wood laminate. This would be better for everyones allergies and much easier to clean.

B

DS 03 & 06

GlindaGoodWitch
09-22-2007, 05:34 PM
We got our Dyson at Costco. They had a $75 off coupon at that time. I know they are sold at Sam's too if you happen to be a member...

I don't know anything about the Sears model that was mentioned, but I have to tell you that for us, the Dyson was well worth the $$. We have a white cat and this thing pulled up DOG HAIR from the previous owners of this house. (That sounds like we're really dirty people, but I swear I used my Kenmore canister at least once a week!)

Plus - it's kinda fun to get that instant gratification of all the junk it has cleaned so DH actually uses it too. And that's a first.

Evasmom
09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
We've had a Dyson for about three years now and I definitely love it. We have a dog and several wool rugs, and each time we clean, the canister fills right up. The main drawback I would say is that it is a little heavy and doesn't self-propel on thicker pile rugs as well as some other vacuums. We opted for the animal version but to this day have not gotten much use out of the 'animal' attachments. They may have changed them from a few years ago, but one was a mini-power brush that is for furniture/stairs, and some other attachement. I've never been able to get the mini brush to do much on the stairs and we have leather furniture. The main ones we use are the bare floor attachement and the little brush attachment for tight spaces/dusting baseboards. Yes, it's a lot of money to spend, but we haven't regretted the investment. I think the main decision is which version to purchase if you get a Dyson. I know Target offers gift cards with purchase every now and then, and the previous poster's mention of the 20% off at LNT or Bed/Bath/Beyond are good options.

On the other hand, I was considering at one point getting a 2nd vacuum to keep upstairs so that I wouldn't have to haul the Dyson up and down. The dog mainly stays downstairs, so the upstairs vacuuming isn't quite as messy/dirty. I came across the Bissell 3990 Total Floors Velocity Bagless Upright and almost purchased it. Amazon sells it for 139.99 with free shipping/no tax. Defintely a savings from the Dyson. LNT does cary the 'Bissel Velocity' but I think the Total Floors version has better reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Bissell-3990-Velocity-Bagless-Upright/dp/B000HRY304/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6535135-6550530?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1190515403&sr=1-1

(sorry, I don't know how to do the hyperlink thing)

I haven't personally used this one, but it does have great reviews and might be an alternative option. Good luck with your decision!

Freckle53
09-23-2007, 07:42 AM
There's some pretty in depth discussion about Dyson substitutes here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/messageview.php?catid=18&threadid=652989&highlight_key=y&keyword1=dyson

Recommended are the Hover Mach3 ($100)or Mach5 ($170), the Bissell Total Velocity or Bissell Healthy Home. I just bought a Total velocity from Kohls.com for ~$65 last weekend on clearance and so far I love it. It picks up an amazing amount of pet fur and dirt that my old upright didn't.

avd3875
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
We switched to a Dyson (the pink one) last year when Target was offering a $100 gift card. The timing was perfect, our original vacuum was making horrible sounds and not picking up anything. I jumped at the chance to have the pink Dyson. She is wonderful! I actually enjoy vacuuming now. Target does often have a gift card incentive ($30-$50) on Dysons, but the $100 deal only happens once a year. They did it two weeks ago. However, I just noticed that Kohl's is doing it this week. They're offering a $100 gift card (by mail) for an in-store purchase of a Dyson. Good luck and happy vacuuming!

las710
09-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Just an update on the Kenmore Direct Drive (model #35923) we bought last week. We are very happy with it and think it was a great purchase. We have two dogs (boxers) and it does a great job of picking up dog hair, etc. The attachments are nice, the only drawback is that they do not all clip onto the vacuum so you have to store some of them separately. According to Consumer Eeports, it has the highest rating on pet hair. If you go to Sears' Website and look it up there, over 100 people have left reviews of the vacuum and it gets 4.7 out of 5 stars on the consumer reviews.

Here's what written about it on consumerreports.com:

Highs
This model excelled at cleaning both carpet and bare floors. It was very good at cleaning with tools. It excelled in the emissions test and the pet-hair-pickup test.

Lows
This model was only fair in ease of handling. It was hard to push and pull and somewhat hard to carry. It lacks a retractable cord and self-propulsion.

Bottom Line
A moderately priced model, the 35922 excelled at cleaning both carpet and bare floors with excellent emissions. It is a CR Best Buy.

Here's what consumerreports.com said about the Dyson Absolute Animal:

Highs
This model excelled at cleaning bare floors and keeping its emissions low. It was very good at deep-cleaning carpet and picking up pet hair.

Lows
This model was fairly noisy in our tests and hard to handle. It lacks suction control, manual pile-height adjustment, a retractable cord, and self-propulsion.

Bottom Line
This moderately expensive upright excelled at cleaning bare floors and keeping its emissions low. It deep-cleaned carpet and picked up pet hair very well. It is somewhat noisy and lacks a few key features.

Hope that helps. Oh... and the Kenmore is still on sale for $279 at Sears thru 9/29.

cbscherer
09-25-2007, 10:54 PM
You asked about other great vacuum cleaners. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest something completely different. I got a roomba robotic vacuum in may and let's just say I am in love. Since I have had it, I have not taken out my heavy vacuum once! I'll occasionally use the dustbuster for hard to reach places in the bathroom, but the roomba keeps the rest of the house super-clean.

Even my super-cheapo hubby admits now that it was one of the greatest buys I have ever made and if it died tomorrow, he would get me another one. Almost have him convinced to let me get one for upstairs.

You will be shocked at the amount of every day dust and dirt the Roomba and its filters pick up. Better yet, it is so effortlessly to run that "you" can vacuum daily or multiple times. I have a 15 month old, and it runs downstairs every night (scheduled to come out around 3:00 a.m. and docks itself to charge when it is through), plus i run it in the kitchen after both breakfast and lunch b/c DD is at that messy eating stage. It's just a few pounds, so when it is time to vacuum upstairs, I take it up and let it go.

Sure, I could do a great, maybe even slightly better, job with a regular vacuum IF i was willing to vacuum every day. I never did that with my old vacuum so by the time I got the vacuum out at the end of the week, all that dirt was ground in. Roomba does a better job for us because she runs daily.

Works on both my hardwoods, kitchen, carpeted floors. My mom and SIL have since got ones as well and also rave about it.

Best yet, DD is crazy about "Rosie" as we call our Roomba. She gets so excited when she hears her coming out and runs after her like a pet. (BTW, they do have a roomba for pet owners if you are concerned about animal hair.)

Roomba 570 normally comes with a 1 year standard warranty, but Hammacher.com offers a generous lifetime gurantee on their roomba: if you purchase it from Hammacher Schlemmer and you ever become dissatisfied with the Roomba for any reason, they will replace it or refund the entire purchase price, whichever you prefer. Great reviews for this company and this policy. This is where i bought mine.

If you want more info check out this webpage www.roombareview.com

Hope someone looking for a vacuum will consider this.

suzhatch1
09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
I just saw the Walmart ad in the mail today & they have their exclusive Aqua Blue Dyson (I believe it is the DC07 model), advertised for under $400 (I don't have the ad in front of me, but I think it was like $389 or something). Plus they are offering a $100 Walmart Gift Card w/purchase of the Dyson.

Suz :)

happy2bamom
09-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Today's deal on woot.com

I'm going to try and talk DH into it. Wish me luck!

Jacksonvol
10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I got a Dyson 18 for $369.99 + tax tonight! I did my research online and noticed that Walmart's website offered the D18 for $469.00, same as Lowe's in my town, but they offered a $100.00 gift card. My Lowe's agreed to knock $100.00 of the price. Heck, I just wanted a $100.00 gift card, but was pleased they took the $$$ off.

now I just have to convince DH that it is o.k. to spend that on a vacuum cleaner. Will bring out the amortization argument that since I expect it will last at least as long as my long suffering Panasonic, it really comes out to $31 per year! And isn't that a small price to pay for a vacuum cleaner (and spousal happiness)?