PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Card Photo - Need Backup Ideas

mattiew
11-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Well I'm all ready to take DD's picture for our Christmas cards; I have a neat wooden sled and pretty white coat, now all I need is snow. Sounds great doesn't it??? I was all excited until I started thinking about what if it doesn't snow here in the next month....any suggestions? Should I try and fake snow, take it without snow, or come up with a plan B that doesn't use the sled (and if I need a plan B w/out the sled any ideas other than by the Christmas tree)?

Hopefully I won't need the ideas but I want to be prepared just in case!
Carrie

sweetbasil
11-19-2003, 09:02 AM
If this cold snap doesn't do it for ya, how about using fluffy polyfil batting, and some fake snowflakes thrown over the top?

Jen in Chicago
11-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Would people appreciate the humor of doing your planned picture without snow? Could you put a caption about "Visions of Snowflakes dancing in her head"? Or "If Santa's sleigh can get here without snow I can sled!"

Sounds like you have something great in the works. Sorry a wrench is being thrown in your gears. We are doing someting boring and using a $6 coupon and going to Sears for our pictures.

loewymartin
11-19-2003, 02:43 PM
I like the batting idea (good one!) How about white fleece as a background? That's how a photography studio would do it anyway. You can take it outside, put the fleece on the ground (draped up on something) and then the sled and DD? I'm going to a studio to have Alia's pics done...last year I waited until the middle of December for a "family pic" (we took it right before going to DH holiday party, so we were all dressed) and none of us looked good together! Oh well, we took the best one and sent that one! Folks loved it, and I'm sure your family/friends will love any picture you end up getting of her.

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

PS - just read that you had a white coat. Maybe you could use a green or red fleece instead and offset her and her coat? Wasn't sure if the white "snow" and white coat would be too much white?

esianoyam3
11-19-2003, 04:35 PM
In addition to the white backdrop, what about additional decorations? Some pine garland and maybe something with a bit of color, like poinsettias? Then, if you're really adventurous, you could do some of the pictures in black and white and try hand coloring...

brigmaman
11-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Carrie, I am not sure where you live so this may not work for you. 2 years ago we took my nephew to the beach and made a sand "snowman." We used things we found at the beach for the eyes/nose etc. Then we put on a scarf and hat and had my nephew sit next to the sandman. It went over really well.
Now we have to try to top that every year! :)

mattiew
12-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I was ready to try some of them out when DD got sick; oh well our procrastination paid off and it snowed!!! The cards went out last week...I'm going to try and post the picture we used.

Thanks!
Carrie

caleymama
12-23-2003, 08:25 AM
That's adorable! She looks beautiful.

brigmaman
12-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Gorgeous! What a beautiful picture. Glad dd is feeling better!