PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsules

vikivoly
12-03-2003, 10:11 AM
For DD's first birthday I asked my guests to bring something to be put into a time capsule for her that will be opened on her 18th birthday. To my suprise, everyone actually made a contribution. I asked them to bring it already sealed in an envelope so there would be no peeking. Now I need something to preserve the stuff in. All of the items are fairly flat. The largest item is in a 10x12 bubble envelope. I looked up time capsules on the internet and everything is made for burial preservantion to last 100 years. Mine only needs to last 17 years and I intend on keeping it hidden somewhere in my home (we'll see how long that lasts!). I've seen the baby ones that are tin tubes, but I would need something larger. Would a larger tin work? What about a large tyvek envelope used for shipping? or should I get a mylar envelope? Any ideas of how to keep the items from deteriorating inside? Any advice is appreciated and needed soon - I'm already getting itchy fingers to break open the envelopes!

amp
12-03-2003, 11:45 AM
You could use an envelope or even a cute little box or keepsake style box. Or any cute little decorative tin (like for candy or other doodads). I guess I would go with a tin or box so that you could stack it somewhere without the stuff inside getting crushed.

Momof3Labs
12-03-2003, 11:51 AM
I'd go with an acid free archival box. I got one for my wedding a few years back but don't remember the company name. But if you search on acid free archival box, you will find tons of options on the internet.