PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ornaments

C99
12-03-2003, 09:49 PM
I want to make a Christmas ornament for each of the babies/moms in my playgroup, and include the baby's name and the year. I don't know anything about this... any cute, inexpensive suggestions?

s7714
12-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Salt dough ornaments are very inexpensive to make. Don't know how many kids there are in your play group, but you could make little cartoon-type babies and then color each one to match the baby (hair color, eye color, etc.) and put their names/date on them. (We had another thread in this section you can refer to for the receipe/instructions.)

I also saw some ornaments in a catalog for personalized stuff where they just wrote the baby's name and date on a colored bulb ornament in fancy writing. They look very pretty too.

Jennifer

Annalia 03/03/03

Jen in Chicago
12-04-2003, 09:46 AM
I am thinking of doing salt dough ornaments. I think I may make a bunch of stars and hearts for a similar thing and paint names/dates/etc on them. I am one who likes to mass produce things, I am not into little details.

mom2kandj
12-04-2003, 11:11 AM
I did photo transparency ornaments this year for all my friends. Basically it is a clear glass ball with a photo printed on clear plastic that is cut to fit inside the ball. The transparency film runs about $10 and then you have to buy clear glass ornaments, but I get mine at Michaels 12 for $5. They are really pretty and we make them for family too. I usually embellish them with a bit of ribbon and use a Deco paint pen to write the year/name. I have instructions and a template that I can email if needed! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/1456.jpg

jd11365
12-04-2003, 10:23 PM
I LOVE this!!! Please email the instructions to me when you have a chance. I can't wait to do this!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

amp
12-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Better yet, post instructions, please! I would love to do this too. I get the basic concept, but how do you get the transparency to fit and lay right inside the ball?

mom2kandj
12-06-2003, 03:15 AM
I have a preprinted template that I made up in Powerpoint with circles already sized to my ornaments. I just import the pics and size them to fit my circles. Then I cut them out, roll them up, slide into the ball, and they spring flat. Mine are sized a hair bigger than the inside of the ball so that they don't shift once inside. To move the circles into the correct position I just use a pair of tweezers! Soooo easy! I can post a file to BBB Swap if you need more detailed instructions! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

luvbeinmama
12-06-2003, 03:29 AM
These are sooooo cool! Did you use special transparency film for inkjet printers? Did you get it at Office Depot/Office Max/Staples?? I'm sure I could do the circles in Publisher as well. I LOVE IT!!

mom2kandj
12-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Yes & yes! Oh, and they usually keep the transparency film by the overhead projectors instead of in the printer supply section! Also try to get about 6 to a sheet 'cuz the film is really pricey! They are really pretty on the tree! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

PS You could get one made at Kinko's(DH's friend did last year), but they charge you $10-15 for ONE ornament! YIKES! Oh, and they cropped his brother out of the pic because they were too lazy to size it!

s_gosney
12-07-2003, 09:30 PM
I also LOVE these ornaments and am dying to make some of my own. How did you decide what size to make your circles? Does the bulb package have a diameter measurment on it that you used? Thanks for your help and the adorable idea...everyone's going to love these!

mom2kandj
12-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Most ornaments do not have a measurement on the outside of the box and it is very hard to get a good measurement. The easiest way IMO is to use a wooden chopstick or wooden skewer and a pen. Insert the skewer into the ball and mark at the top. Then pull the skewer out and reinsert just until the tip of the skewer hits were the insert would start and mark the skewer again at the top. Your ornament measurement will be the length of skewer between your two marks. Make sense? You may want to make a test sheet with two or three different size circles (usually the difference is is within 1/4 inch) to get it right. I like my ornaments to be a hair bigger than the inside of the ball to that they "fit" and don't shift. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

HoneymoonBaby
12-16-2003, 10:34 PM
I don't know if this has already been posted, but a very cute (and cheap!) thing we used to do in college is to take regular colored ball ornaments and write or draw on them with silver or gold paint pens. The look is very classy and it takes SECONDS to do.

sunriseiz
11-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Hi Rose,

I know it's a year later, but I was looking through posts and love this idea! Could you (or someone else that's done this) post instructions and more info about how to make a template? I really want to give this a try. I could PM you with my email address if that's easier.

Thanks!
Sunny

houseof3boys
11-14-2004, 11:45 AM
I tried this last year and I could never get the right diameter. Can you post or upload (or email) me your template that you use and let me know what size balls you use.

TIA!!!!

amp
11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Rose, I'd also be interested in the template you use. I never got around to making these last year, but between my craftiness and DH's engineering prowess, how hard can it be, right?! If you have a template/instructions, can you please email to me? Thanks a bunch!

npace19147
11-17-2004, 05:18 PM
I would also love to get a template if there's one floating around. I love the idea but am not sure how to do the circular pictures. Thanks!

safarimom
11-24-2004, 02:13 PM
Have you ever checked out www.orientaltrading.com ? They have some really cute ornament kits for Christmas & they are super cheap too. They have all kinds of photo frame ornaments & other kits that are great for kids that want to do crafty things with Mom & Dad.