PDA

View Full Version : Homemade burp clothes?

deborah_r
12-07-2003, 01:54 AM
I am sick of looking at those Gerber diaper/burp clothes! Is there an easy way for me to make my own? I sew a little, I am just a little (OK, a lot) clueless on what types of fabrics to use. I also thought somebody might have some fun ideas for them. I thought I'd seen some threads about this in the past, but I'm not sure...

pritchettzoo
12-07-2003, 02:58 PM
I made some out of flannel that are contoured to fit over your shoulder. I traced around some that a friend got as a shower gift for her aunt to make a pattern. I took two pieces of cute flannel and put them right sides together and stitched around, leaving a hole to turn it. Then I turned it, ironed it flat, and did a stitch about 1/4 inch in to hold the edges flat. I've attached a picture of mine.

Lizajane made some gorgeous ones. I emailed her to ask for pictures and more information and she was very helpful and sweet. I haven't made any like hers yet. Here's her thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=30652&mesg_id=30652&listing_type=search

If you like Lizajane's style (which would be much more absorbent than the ones I made!), do a google search on "burpies" and you'll get tons of ideas for decorating them.

HTH!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

mom2kandj
12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
I make burp cloths like Anna's except I don't contour mine(too lazy!)! I can make 4 out of a yard of flannel(finished dimensions about 10x17). I buy my flannel at Home Fabrics in Lake Forest. I hope you have one by you! Their flannels, though not the top of the line, are a very reasonable $2.50 a yard. When they go on clearance, they go for about $1 - 1.50 a yard! HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie (almost 3!)
& Jack (19 months)

luvbeinmama
12-10-2003, 01:02 AM
You could also try getting some really plain kitchen towels and putting an applique on (all you need is to zigzag around the edge of the applique). Just another thought. And pretty absorbent!

houseof3boys
12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Those are cute. If I ever unearth my sewing machine from the basement I might just have to learn to sew since they seem so simple. :)

Jen in Chicago
12-10-2003, 01:54 PM
I "decorate" my Gerber diapers with ribbon/fabric or other notions I can get my hands on. I can only sew straight lines, so this is the extent of what I can do. There are no plain diapers left in the house.

FYI I get most of my stuff at Walmart, I can't find cheaper ribbon prices.

deborah_r
12-11-2003, 03:52 AM
Rose,

I think the Home Fabrics near me is going out of business. I think that's the one, can't remember the exact name. But I will check - last time I was in they were marking everything down, getting ready to close after Christmas.

Thanks!

khakismom
12-11-2003, 12:58 PM
My girlfriend sews a pretty grosgrain ribbon down each side. I love the flannel ones--they are so cute. If you are looking to do a little sewing, you can always make your own bibs too. MY MIL does this--take a cute dishtowel or small bath towel. Towards the top 1/3rd of the towel, she rips a hole out and sews a neck into it. Now, you just take the towel and pull it over your baby's head (like a shirt). We have a ton of these that she's made and they are wonderful!! They are huge and cover the whole outfit. Plus when you're done, you can wipe baby's face with it and then throw it in the wash. You could even design your own too. If you took a plain one, you could embroider it or sew something cool on it--like a college logo or soroity letters, or anything. Every time I look at mine I wish I was more "craftsy"... :)