PDA

View Full Version : Little metal clippies for bows? Does anyone know where to find?

pritchettzoo
01-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I've bought a few for DD, but they are outrageously priced! Looking at them, they don't look very hard to make--just ribbon hot-glued to little metal clips (and yes, saying that just cursed me--I'll wind up with ribbon hot-glued to my couch or 5th degree burns!).

Thanks!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Momof3Labs
01-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Having a boy, I'm not sure exactly what they look like, but try Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc - perhaps in jewelry findings. I've also made barrettes for bigger girls with plain metal barrettes that you can get at Wal-Mart or Target, so don't rule that out either!

Dyonia
01-12-2004, 01:10 AM
What you're looking for are called barrette bow clips -- http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=2054&PRODID=11107&foreground=green

Joann Fabrics has them, as will Michaels and Walmart, and your local craft store. They are usually with the jewelry and beading supplies.

They are really easy to work with, obviously -- an alternative to hot glue would be to wire the bow on or sew it on to the clip. I have done both, depending on the weight of the materials used.

There are some really cute novelty buttons available that you can put in the center of the bow if you like that look. Another idea would be artifical flowers -- perfect for coordinating with little dresses!

Btw, you're right, it will cost you way less to custom-make those clippies than to keep paying retail.

Have lots of fun!
--Donna

cma
01-12-2004, 01:38 AM
DD's hair was so fine such that the alligator clips from Michaels would fall out.

Try www.dimplesandcurls.com

They have a section of hair bow making supplies.

It's fun making little bows.
DD had one to match all her outfits!

Good Luck!

Bethann31
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey Anna, I bought some of the "french clips" off ebay, but Katherine STILL doesn't have quite enough hair to make them stay in. I am trying to make those cute korker bows, but time keeps getting in the way of my good intentions. Anyway, I have a bunch, so if you would like a few to try out, just let me know and I'll get them to you.

Beth
mom to 3 (13, 11 and 8) and then 1 more (06/04/03)

pritchettzoo
01-22-2004, 02:22 PM
JoAnn's was out of them, but I happened to see a Sally's Beauty Supply next to Publix and found some there. They were 12 for $1.49 if anyone else is looking!

Thanks again for your help.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

Kimberly H
02-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Now you've got me thinking...the only hair pretties Mia will allow me to put in her hair are the tiny clippies. Do you think I could attach a bow to those? Hmmm...

ETA: not the french clips or alligator clips. She can just tolerate the ones that you bend to open and bend shut.

pritchettzoo
02-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't see why not! I'd use light fishing line to secure the bow to the clip--you could weave it in and around the top part. I don't think hot glue would work--the bending might cause it to pop off. Where there's a will...:) Enjoy your pretty little girl!!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)