PDA

View Full Version : How-to-Knit books

hbangthompson
01-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on really good (as in lots of good pictures and basic instructions) knitting books for beginners? I thought I'd try to see if there were some books worth buying before I signed up for a class (for $120!).

Thanks.

christic
01-14-2004, 10:18 PM
I bought a booklet at a big craft store called I Can't Believe I'm Knitting. It's by Leisure Arts and was with all of the pattern books, thin paperback for under $10. The patterns are pretty cheesy but the basic instructions are very easy to follow, and I still find it to be one of my most helpful references when I have a question.

Have fun!

Chris

Momof3Labs
01-14-2004, 11:43 PM
Do you have a Michael's nearby? Our Michael's store charges only $17 for knitting lessons (one or two sessions)!

peanut4us
01-15-2004, 10:25 AM
I haven't used the knitting book, but when i taught myself how to crochet, I bought a little kit that came with a book called I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting. It's made by Leisure Arts as well. All of their crochet books are wonderful and clear. I would think you couldn't go wrong with a book like that.

Rachels
01-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Knitting for Dummies is very good. And check your local yarn store. Many have inexpensive classes or lessons.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
01-18-2004, 05:33 PM
I really, really like Vogue Knitting. But its not inexpensive and if you end up not liking knitting, then it isn't worth it.

But I recently picked up a small book from Michaels called "First Steps in Knitting" by the American School of Needlework. I thought it was a fabulous little book. It shows very clear directions for both styles of knitting. FYI, I knit using the Continental style (vs the more typical English style usually taught in the country), and I find it SOOOO much faster and easier. I would try both styles before deciding on one that you like.

HTH,

kwc
01-18-2004, 06:59 PM
I taught myself how to knit using "knitting for dummies" and "knitting in plain english" by Maggie Righetti though the second book could use better pictures (but has outstanding text... which may go more with my learning style). However, one of my friends learned with the Leasure Arts booklet... you can't beat the price!

A book I'd recommend as a companion is "Knitting for baby: 30 Heirloom projects with complete how to knit instructions" by Melanie Falick and Kristin Nicholas... has easy directions and projects that start out very easy. Check out the reviews on Amazon... also has really good beginning instructions at the beginning. I've only made a couple of the easy things (but 4 of the ear flap hat!) but it's nice to have a book with projects that are current that you actually want to make... only downside is that the yarns they choose are pricey... but as I only make small items, it's worth it for me!

Karen

Karen

miki
01-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Me too--Knitting for Dummies a year ago. And now I've done two sweaters and two caps for my little girl and miscellaneous other stuff for others. Once you know the basics, if you have a project in mind and go to your local yarn shop to buy the yarn, the people in the yarn shop will usually give you assistance for no charge when you get stuck or if you think you've made a mistake. They can also help you with what yarn to buy if you have a pattern you want to try. Or steer you to a pattern that suits your ability.

hbangthompson
01-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I knew how to cast on, knit, and purl, but just needed a good basic refresher and perhaps a good (EASY) project. I ended up borrowing a few books and pamphlets from friends and am working baby cardigan (w/only 1 button!) from Pipsqueaks. I found myself sort of drooling at all these books with really cute patterns for babies and kids. Perhaps someday.

Thanks again!