PDA

View Full Version : Help with Valentine's Day card

lmintzer
01-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Since we were not able to manage New Year/Holiday cards this year, I was hoping to send out valentines with picture(s) of our 2 boys.

I was thinking it would be fun to make some myself, but then again, I barely have time to shower and eat, let alone embark upon creative endeavors.

I looked at the options for photo cards on Shutterfly, and although they are okay, they didn't thrill me.

Does anyone know of a simple way to do a quick photo collage/photo card? Or, would anyone be willing to design one for me using some pictures (I would of course pay for your time). If this is an inappropriate use of this forum, I apologize.

Please feel free to PM me if it's not okay to post about this here.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Joshua, 11/16/03

Jen in Chicago
01-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Here are some ideas...

Find the cards you insert pictures into. I know I saw holiday ones at Picture People, but they are everywhere. Here is what I found from a store that I go to here in Chicago http://www.paper-source.com/store/scan/sp=res_envelopes.html/sf=category/se=PHOTOFRAME/sf=description/se=A9.html You could have the kids stamp/decorate the edges of the card however they can (finger prints, stamps,...), or you can leave them plain.

Family Fun magazine had some Valentine ideas you could use. Check their website

We are going to make hearts out of Footprints on red paper for Jude. For bigger children I saw an idea of making hearts by joining two thumb prints.

Another idea would be to type up a letter and put a picture on it using photo corners. Again, you could let the kids decorate.

Lower budget option... buy a ream of red cardstock ($10-15?)and a box of invitation envelopes ($3 or so at Walmart). Cut the paper in 1/2 the short way. Fold paper in 1/2 to make a card that will fit in the envelopes. Have the kids decorate the cards however they can or put a smaller photo on the front with photo corners. If you are short on time you could run something off for the inside message that you could glue in. Stamps to decorate it a bit are an option.

I make cards all the time. I have reams of paper, stamps and invitation envelopes in the house at all time. I am sick and tired of having to run out last minute to buy Hallmark cards, and I can never find the perfect one. Family always loves a simple handprint card, that Jack or Joshusa could help you with. Do it on red paper and you have a Valentine's Day card!

Good luck!

Have fun!

lizamann
01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
I just made cards at Shutterfly and wasn't thrilled with the Valentine borders they had either. So I used a picture of dd taken on her pink futon. Not explicitely Valentine-y, but the right idea.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34634cce48d

I also used their mail option, which I absolutely love!!! They will mail them directly for you if you want. I can't tell you how many times I've actually written and addressed cards and then NOT MAILED THEM! So pathetic. So this will help me bypass that little problem.

I am actually a little obsessed with this system - I also took a picture of Nora crying and sent it to a friend as a get-well card. I'm thinking my grandma should get a new one every week. What fun!

new_mommy25
01-23-2004, 08:44 PM
I made my card myself simply using the computer programs Microsoft Picture It Publishing. I alsp have Photosuite and Photoshop which can do the same thiing but those programs are complicated for me, lol. Seriously it didn't take long at all and I plan on just going down to the 1 hour photo at Walmart to develop them. You can see my card on another post "Already thinking about Valentine's Day".

Another option would be to print out some text on your computer and then affix the pictures to the paper using double stick tape. Take the paper down to Kinko's and run off as many color copies as you need.

Or if money is not an option than what about Blue Daisy Greetings? http://www.bluedaisygreetings.com/

lmintzer
01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the good ideas. Sorry I didn't write back write away--Jack has the flu (or something similar with high fevers and a cough). So Valentine's Day cards are on hold for now.

The idea of having the kids decorate the cards is cute, but we want to send out about 50 cards (in lieu of holiday cards this year), so I think that would be a bit much for Jack. I was thinking more along the lines of a picture collage like Angie's. Angie--I'm impressed--it came out really cute. I am not familiar with the program you used. I have Photoshop Elements but no time to learn to use it, lol.

Blue Daisy would be fun (although pricey), but it is too late--they need a lot of advanced notice.

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/02
& Joshua, 11/16/03