PDA

View Full Version : Good sewing machine for my sister(begginer)

liya
01-27-2004, 07:08 PM
My sister wants to learn how to sew and wants to purchase a machine for herself. I want her to get a good machine that she can learn on(easy to thread etc) but that will last her a while as well(after she learns..) Is there such a machine out there??

TIA

lampes
01-27-2004, 08:21 PM
I think it depends on what your sister wants to spend. The most important thing for your sister to do is to take samples of what she would like to sew with her to a shop and try it out. Good brand names are Husquvarna, Janome, Bernina, and Pfaff. I think JoAnn's sells Whites which are a division of Janome. (I think). If your sister is going to make clothing, a machine that does automatic buttonholes is really invaluable and can save a lot of grief.

egoldber
01-27-2004, 10:34 PM
I would agree with most of those brands, but none of them will be inexpensive new.

Personally, I would try to find a place that sells used sewing machines and try to find one that will fit in your budget. And definitely take samples and sew on them.

HTH,

liya
01-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Is my DREAM machine!!! Im saving up for it for sure....Oh i loooooove it.......Just thought i would add that..LOL

Jen in Chicago
01-28-2004, 11:07 AM
I am not a seamstress, but I received a basic Sear's one I like. It actually needs repaired right now b/c of a bobbin problem, but I like what I have done with it it date (burp clothes and bumper ties.)

miki
01-28-2004, 06:17 PM
My husband got me a Brother for my birthday a couple of years ago. It uses the same accessories as Babylock, I think. The most convenient feature us the lever that threads the needle for you. She should definitely go try them out herself.

But I agree that it's much more economical to try to get a sewing machine that is used. There are many offered for sale by people who got good machines but never use them. But if you want to get your sister a new one, don't hesitate to shop around and go to a local store and see if they will price match. When my husband shopped for mine, he said shop owners were pretty receptive to negotiating a better price.

sweetbasil
01-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Growing up, my mom always had a Bernina (she got as a gift). She enrolled us in sewing lessons in elem. school, and we learned on Berninas. When I got married, I just didn't feel like I could justify spending that much $ on a Bernina. So I went to Service Merchandise and got a Singer. I felt like if I could prove (to myself, really) that I would use it well, and often enough, maybe I could upgrade one day. That was 7 years ago- I used it to sew curtains/headers/draperies, clothes, burp cloths, Halloween costumes, a bedrooom ensemble (pillows, duvet cover, curtains), and baby bedding. It performed great through it all. When DS#2 was born, my DH surprised me with a new Bernina Activa 135. I love it and use it all the time.

All that to say, I don't regret a day of owning the Singer (actually, I sold it on eBay for $158...after purchasing it 7 years ago for $212!), and felt like it was a great machine to start out with. But I looooove the Bernina. I think I was afraid that if I got a Bernina I'd mess it up, but it's so user friendly, that I don't think that's really possible. Maybe a used Bernina from a local dealer would be a great option for your sister?

Beth (egoldber) gave me a great tip after getting my Bernina...don't use Coats & Clark, but try a higher end thread like Mettler Metrosene. I'm amazed at how much of a difference the thread makes in nice, finished-looking stitches!

Happy shopping,

Meatball Mommie
02-05-2004, 11:02 PM
FYI: White is owned by Husquevarna :) I took sewing lessons from a woman who was a Janome dealer. They have a model that is pretty basic for around $200. It has a needle threader and auto presser foot pressure. I was amazed by them since I sew on a circa 1975 Singer! New machines have some awesome new features that mine doesn't. I'd love a machine that can do embroidery but you're talking big bucks there! Does anyone own one that they like?