PDA

View Full Version : Another question about yarns

Rachels
02-08-2004, 11:19 PM
I love, love, love the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino yarn. I love the way it looks knitted up, I love how soft it is when finished, I love how it feels to work with it. So...what else am I likely to love? I am pretty new to this whole knitting thing, and while I could browse in a yarn store for hours (in theory-- Abigail would never go for that), choosing a yarn leaves me muddled. I want to make a baby blanket now, and I'd like to find a very soft yarn with a similar gauge. I could just get more of the Cashmerino, and I might, but you know-- the price tag begins to add up. So what else should I consider looking at?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

shishamo
02-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi,

Cashmerino is wonderful, I love it, too. Unfortunately it's pricey :(
It is going to be hard to find something cheaper and just as nice, I am afraid. One idea: most yarn stores have once a year sale just around this time. I just got Debbie Bliss's cotton cachmere for 50% off. You may want to call all the stores near you.

If you don't mind the acrylic content, Plymouth Encore and Lion Brand Wool-ease are two of the most popular acrylic/wool blend worsted weight that works really well for kids/baby stuff. Wash well, and they are nice and soft, and washer/dryer friendly. They also come in tons of colors, and much, much cheaper. I think Patternworks (online store) carries Encore, and Lion Brand can be bought from e-yarns.

Also, my favorite warm weather kids and baby yarn: Rowan All-Seasons Cotton (cotton/acrylic blend). It's really really soft and you can wear it year round. Unfortunately, it's not cheap. I also like Lion Brand Cotton-Ease, it's similar to all seasons cotton except 75% cheaper but not as soft. These are all worsted weight also.

Good luck with your search! Oh, also, don't forget ebay!

hobey
02-09-2004, 02:48 PM
I'm still a beginning knitter so have not done any major projects yet but a friend of mine told me about yarn.com. They offer close-outs and discounts throughout the year. She was able to get $300 worth of italian yarn for $78-enough for 2 medium sweaters. I haven't explored the site much but it may be worth looking at.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

christic
02-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Rachel,

Some friends and I are knitting a blanket for a friend's baby and are trying to pick out a yarn we all like. One that came up that might work for you is Mission Falls 1824 Wool. I haven't seen it IRL but it was described as being a very soft 100% washable merino. The colors looked pretty online also.

Good luck!

Chris

egoldber
02-09-2004, 04:22 PM
I really like Wool-ease. I think it knits up super easy and looks very cute! It also comes in a ton of fun colors and the price is definitely right!