PDA

View Full Version : Uses for old formula cans and baby food jars?

lmariana
02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Does anyone have any good uses for old formula cans or baby food jars? I feel bad throwing them out all the time, I know there must be something to do with them! Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Jen in Chicago
02-12-2004, 05:49 PM
My Mom is going to fill the jars with bath salts (Epson salt, few drops of a fragrance (or fragrance oil) and a little food coloring) as a favor for an annual party she has next year. I have been using them for my spice rubs/mixes (always need some of Emerils Essence on hand.)

I do fill a few with Jude's yogurt (Stonyfarm Plain Whole Milk Yogurt plus fruit to sweeten) when he is not drinking he bottle and I want to send a calcuim snack to daycare.

My uses are more funtional than crafty. Sorry!

lmariana
02-12-2004, 05:51 PM
I love the bath salts idea, very handy!

Thanks!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

khakismom
02-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I saw this on some craft/improvement show, and it's really easy. Wrap the formula can in cute wrapping paper--that's it! You can then use them as storage for anything. On the show, they had crayons in one, hair bows/clips in another, and small toys in another.

The only thing I can think of for baby jars is something my father used with ours. He would affix the top of the lid to some tool board (the kind that hang in the back of a workarea and have little holes in it)--so the jars were horizontal and you were looking at the bottom of them--and use them for storing nails, screws, and other small things that men use being handy.

HTH! :)

Karenn
02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
If you know any elementary or pre-school teachers they might have a use for them. I gave all of my baby food jars to a first grade teacher and she turned them into "snow globes." She superglued a little figurine to the lid, poured water (distilled I think) & silver glitter into jars and then superglued the lids onto the jars. They turned out really cute.

heidi_timms
02-13-2004, 03:49 PM
This is not craft related, but they are nice for when you bring a salad to a party or get-together and you need a little container for the dressing!

edited to add: Nail the jar lids to the underneath of your shelves in the garage. Then you can screw/unscrew the jars off and keep little things like nails, washers, etc. Or do something similar in your craft/sewing area/room for craft stuff.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

mommd
02-17-2004, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine makes candles out of old baby food jars by covering the outside of the jar with fabric and filling them with wax. They make cute gifts.