PDA

View Full Version : Knitted baby blocks?

Rachels
03-08-2004, 12:28 PM
One of my knitting books has a really cute idea to use scrap yarn to make little 3" squares for baby blocks. You do each side in a different stitch pattern or color. I've been knitting them up here and there as I finish other projects, and I'm thinking about what to put on the inside. First I thought squares of foam core, but then they wouldn't really be washable. Hmm. Any ideas? What's a reasonably solid square-shaped piece of something that would be a good interior for a block?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

peanut4us
03-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Rachel--it's a lot more work, but it was just the first thought I had about it. Can you make little muslin cubes that will be "inserts in the knitting? THen you can fill the squares (really tight!) with just any ole poly fill or other pillow stuffing material.

More work than you probably wanted to do. Sorry :(

luvbeinmama
03-09-2004, 02:53 AM
How tight is the knitting? I've crocheted some animals using single crochet (the most basic and tight stitch) and a med size (I or H) hook. I just stuffed them with regular poly-fil and it worked just fine. As long as your joining stitch is pretty tight, too, you should be able to manipulate the poly-fil to give the shape you want. My crocheted cat washes up really nicely, btw. HTH!

peanut4us
03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
Rachel--when I was at Hobby Lobby last night I looked at the foam they had, and the packaging said it was machine washable... so maybe you can find some in your neck of the woods. Just make sure to read the label for washability (is that a word?).