PDA

View Full Version : Dying Yarn

hobey
03-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Has anyone tried dying yarn with kool-aid? I've got enormous amounts of cream colored wool that I'd like to do something with but I don't want to have a million cream colored knits lying around. Any tips/websites/etc on kool-aid dying and are the colors true? Also, how long does the color last?

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

shishamo
03-16-2004, 10:34 PM
I did a bit with my 4 year old. It's super easy and the colors are really really bright! I have not washed anything yet so I can't tell you about the fading issue, though.

Here's the color guide (the color on the left is what you want, the right was dyed using beige yarn, I think):

http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/images/colorchart-max.jpg

Plus, here is a how-to: (if you google, you will get more)

http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/

In my opinion, the color of the kool-aid disolved in water is the color you are going to end up with :)

Have fun! Oh, and don't forget to wear gloves and aprons, kool-aid stains your hand big time, I had green/blue fingers for anout 3 days :)

hobey
03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Cool! Thanks! That color card is awesome. I'm off to find lemon-lime and blue moon berry now. I;m envisioning a blue felted bucket hat with a lime green brim...:)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

shishamo
03-18-2004, 12:05 AM
your hats sounds so cute!
Do you have a good hat pattern? I just made this one and it's really fabulous :)

http://www.chicknits.com/infopdf.shtml

No affiliation, just a very happy customer :) Also I love her blog.

hobey
03-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Looks like the same pattern I have. :) I ordered the Bucket Up the other day and I have lime green yarn cooling in my kitchen and plans to make the blue yarn tomorrow. I'm thinking about doing some handpainted skeins this weekend. DH thinks I'm crazy (says they make colored yarn so you don't need to dye your own) but it's fun and he should talk. His hobby is homebrewing....

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

shishamo
03-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm so glad you have the pattern - you would love it!
I'm going to make a stripy hat for my 4 year old (blue/lime stripes), most likely for next winter, it's finally getting warm here in NYC (even though it's snowing today)!

Meatball Mommie
03-19-2004, 06:05 PM
You mentioned that you haven't washed any of the yarn you dyed yet. I just want to caution you to try that before you mix two colors and then wash the finished product. You might be surprised how much it can run. I have never tried this and don't know too much about dying wool. I worked for a company who dyed synthetics though and colorfastness was always an issue. I didn't check on the instructions link you posted but sometimes it's recommended to add vinegar or something else to change the pH of the solution to increase the durability of the color. Just thought I'd mention that so you don't end up with something that you can't wash :) I'd be curious to hear how it turns out - good luck!

shishamo
03-20-2004, 12:04 AM
I did add white vinegar to my rinsing solution par instruction I had. I hope that did the trick :) but you are right, last time I dyed using RIT, I ruined a entire load of laundry :(