PDA

View Full Version : Knitting question

Rachels
03-16-2004, 11:15 PM
When you weave in the cast on / bind off / new yarn tails, how do you secure them? For everything I've made, the last tiny scrap has been hidden by a rolling edge or a fuzzy yarn or something. Now, though, I'm putting together a bunch of blanket squares, and some of the ends are peeking out where I've woven the yarn in. Hmm. What to do?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
03-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Can anyone describe how to use more than one color yarn in a row? I'd like to do a border which has two blue stitches followed by eight white ones, but I don't know how to do that.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

hobey
03-17-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure how to hide the ends since everything I've done has been hidden by fuzzy yarn but to use 2 colors in a row, I think you need to do some simple intarsia work to do the border.

I'd knit the 2 blue stitches then twist the blue yarn and white yarn to knit the next stitch and then carry on with the white. If the blue is on both sides, I'd use another length of blue yarn twisted into the white.

Hopefully that makes sense. Some of the more experienced knitters may explain it better than I just did.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Rachels
03-17-2004, 01:43 PM
No, I think I understand what you said. I'll practice a bit later!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

shishamo
03-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi Rachel,

I agree with Raquel, just twist yarn on the wrong side as you go, just like when you are doing intarsia. I would also weave the white yarn once or twice while you are knitting white 8 stitches, just like when you are doing fairisle. The reason is if you don't, you will create a very long float (8 stitches long) which would catch on the fingers of the user.

As for the tail of the yarn, how long is it? If it's long enough you can use it to stitch the blanket squares together. If not, I would just weave in on WS. I usually weave 4 stitches forward and 2-3 stitches back, this way the yarn won't unravel and stick out.

I really hope this makes sense. Good luck!