PDA

View Full Version : pattern for toddler beachwear

Lynnie
04-29-2004, 02:52 PM
this may be overly ambitious for someone who has had a sewing machine for 6 years and never even threaded the thing, but with the solarveil fabric on sale on their website, and summer coming up, i bought several yards and want to try to make some simple clothing for my two year old to wear at the beach - just drawstring waist pants and possibly some sort of cover up for the top. am i kidding myself, or does anybody know of any really easy patterns that even a total novice could handle ?

thanks for all of your advice in the past, and in advance for any suggestions on this topic.

ps if anyone who CAN sew is interested in the fabric, red, navy and yellow is $4 a yard at solarveil.com - really should be fairly simple to make...right ??

ALLEYCAT
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Please be careful with the drawstring pants. Consumer safety does not allow these on childrens clothes any longer. A simple channel to thread elastic thru would be very easy and walmart sells patterns at half price at my store.

Lynnie
05-06-2004, 08:54 AM
THANKS ! i had no idea, and was just trying to figure out the easiest way to make these things... if my newborn ever lets me get any sleep that is. will check out walmart, thx

peanut4us
05-21-2004, 01:09 PM
I would check with your local Joann's too... it seems that about every other weekend they have a sale for some brand of patterns at $.99 per pattern, which is way better than even Walmart. And putting elastic into pants is just as easy as doing the drawstring thing. Just make sure that you follow the pattern instructions and they should be just fine... For a covreup... that will be a little more difficult if you have to set the sleeves in. If you have never done sleeves, look up your local specialty sewing machine shops. They often have classes on sewing by really knowledgable folks... and most shops have a "basic shirt" kind of class, where you learn how to do basic collars and sleeves. Seriously one of the best classes I have ever taken.