PDA

View Full Version : PBK tri-fold hand/footprint frame plaster problem

infomama
05-16-2004, 01:47 PM
So I got this beautiful white PBK tri-fold frame at our baby shower and now that DD is 7 months old I figured I will try to do her handprints. Here's where the problem begins...

I mixed the plaster according to the directions and get it nice an flat in the molding tray. Then I press DD's hand into the plaster and when I pull her hand up, all the plaster come up with it! It looks terrible. I tried to add a bit more plaster but it didnt help (it was either coming up with her hand or made it too hard to make an impression). I am on my second refill package of plaster..uuugghh!

Any ideas? It looks so smooth and beautiful in line but I dont think those results are possible IRL!

TIA

Kat
mama to Skyler 10-8-03

hbangthompson
05-17-2004, 12:58 PM
I tried with my son when he was an infant and messed it up so many times and gave up. Someone suggested to me that I rub a little bit of baby massage oil (not baby oil) on the palm or foot before imprinting so that it wouldn't pull up the plaster. Haven't tried it, but sounded good to me at the time. Good luck!

amp
05-21-2004, 10:59 AM
YIKES! We are just about to do a plaster handprint for our ages 1-5 handprint tower. Now I'm not sure if we need to come up with some way to keep from screwing it up!

yellowdogmom
05-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I took several sculpture classes in college, and if memory serves me correctly we used something called "green soap" as a release agent for plaster. I've seen green soap towelettes in first aid kits, so I'd think it might be available at a drug store. I'm not sure if there is anything different about it than normal soap (maybe someone might be able to jump in and help here) but it was thinner than a regular liquid soap. HTH!

:) Kristin
Adopting #1 from Korea
It's a Boy! Theo was born 1/12/2004!
Awaiting his safe arrival home