PDA

View Full Version : Baby outfit from adult T-shirt

californiagirl
05-17-2004, 04:02 PM
I am absurdly proud of myself for a very geeky achievement. DH has a new job, and in silicon valley, a new job means new logo T-shirts. I have a snazzy woman's one; he has several snazzy unisex ones; but there was nothing for anybody under about 5, and DD is 10 weeks.

So I took a Tykes playsuit in 3-6 months and an adult medium T-shirt, disassembled the T-shirt, traced a pattern from the playsuit, and launched into my first ever attempt to sew knits and set snaps. It was a mixed success; I only got 4 good snaps out of 7 (and I needed 5, so I have to go buy another package), and some of the seams are wonkier than I'd like. But it looks a lot like official baby clothes. On my plain old sewing machine.

3-6 months is still pretty big on her, and I had to turn it sideways because otherwise the logo is bigger than the baby, but I think it's way too cute anyway.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6252.jpg

joemama
05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
Oh, that's too cute!! Now I have an excuse to thin out dh's giant t-shirt collection... :) What a great idea!!!

joemama...and ellie, too!

californiagirl
05-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Now I'm looking at unprinted T-shirts thinking "Hmmm. An XL is almost
2 yards of fabric, prehemmed if you cut carefully, with a small amount of perfectly matched ribbing, for $3.50 in 46 colors..."

http://store.yahoo.com/cheapestees-store/gilulcotheav1.html

papal
05-19-2004, 11:18 AM
That is AWESOME!!! You should sell them at Google! :)
And congrats to your dh for landing such a fab job!!

Jeanne
05-20-2004, 11:59 PM
Love it! Wish I were skilled enough to make one of my own! I am determined to learn to use the sewing machine that my mother bought me two years ago soon!

californiagirl
05-21-2004, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't start with this, although I have to admit it's pretty darn easy (it's 5 pieces, not counting the ribbing, and 3 of those are facing bits for the crotch snaps). But check out McCall's 2213 sundress pattern, view A. Super cute, and the only fiddly bit is the buttonholes (I'd cheat and put in snaps -- in fact, next time I make it that's what I'm going to do). Buy some cheap, cute cotton, and put the dress over a purchased solid-color diaper cover. Presto! No hems, no seams where wiggliness will show in the finished garment...