PDA

View Full Version : Scrapbook question. Please help a beginner!!

papal
05-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Here is the thing:
I want to put all dd's nice pics into a photo album. However, i have pics in all different sizes so no one album would do. I also, would like to write a note or memo next to some pictures.
So i am guessing, the best thing to do would be to create a scrapbook??
I really don't want anything fancy. Here is what my 'vision' is

Ivory/White page with a couple of photographs. Writing a note below the photograph. That's it!
So what do I need in terms of supplies?
1. I am not sure i like the Ring Binder, is there anything that will give me more of a bound-book effect?
2. What do i need to affix the photos on the page (glue? any special kind?)
3. What kind of pen must i get?
4. Is there anything that I can get to keep my writing in a straight-line without actually drawing lines? I tend to go slanty on a blank page.
5. Is there any online site where i can get all these supplies? I have a coupon for 10% of on scrapbook.com.. is that a good place for supplies??

PLEASE help me!! I am overwhelmed with all the scrapbooking choices and I don't want to invest too much money! thanks in advance!!

janeybwild
05-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Hi Rashmi,
I'm no scrap queen, but have done some and love it. A scrapbook seems like a perfect idea for what you want. I have used Creative Memories albums which lets you add or subtract as many blank pages as needed, but also has the bound look. You could choose what color pages you like (a natural color page can be nice for professional pics, or perhaps keep it simple with black or white?). For a lovely effect you could mount the picture (just place a colored sheet beneath it cropped to slightly bigger than the picture). Each page can be different or uniform depending on the look you are going for. You can attach the photos with photo corners or double sided sticky tape for a floating look. The opposite page could be your journaling. You can buy lined paper also, and perhaps mount it on the same colored paper you mounted the photo on?. You will also need an archival quality pen.
Your minimum supplies as I see it are the album ($40-60), tape ($5), colored paper if you want to mount the pics ($4), cutter for the paper and/or pics ($15) (or good scissors and a steady hand!), and pen ($2).
I get my supplies from a friend who is a creative consultant and also at Hobby Lobby which is a giant craft outlet here. However, there are lots of scrap booking stores I have never dared to venture in to (perhaps if I left my wallet behind?!). HTH and good luck!

mmaimp
05-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Rashmi,

I’ve been a scrapbooker for about 5 years now and I think you should do a simple and classic scrapbook. I would do light colored pages with black photo corners. Photo corners allow you to remove photos temporarily. Scrapbook.com has colorbok and Mrs. Grossman’s albums that are nice and I think you would like the look of them. I would get a 12x12 album if ordering from Scrapbook.com.

As for pens, I have every color in the rainbow but almost always use black. I recommend a nice acid free black pen with a fine/med. Tip, my fave is a 08. There are templates you can get to help with journaling and disappearing ink pens to make lines.

Here are links to nice simple scrapbooking supplies:
http://www.exposuresonline.com/Detailx.asp?ITN=MLFE&EDP=84480
http://www.exposuresonline.com/Detailx.asp?ITN=BWSEB&EDP=62399
http://www.exposuresonline.com/Detailx.asp?ITN=PPFH&EDP=78834
http://store.scrapbook.com/jv-1688.html
http://store.scrapbook.com/jv-1669.html
http://store.yahoo.com/scrapbook-dot-com/12natpac.html
http://store.yahoo.com/scrapbook-dot-com/jsm-vanink.html
http://store.yahoo.com/scrapbook-dot-com/milpoin08tip.html

I also shop at big box arts & craft stores and local scrapbook shops. Just make sure you know what you want before you go because it can be overwhelming and the temptation to over buy is hard to resist.

HTH, and please post pics when you finish your album!

BTW, your posts are hysterical and you make me smile everyday!

papal
05-20-2004, 10:32 AM
I now know what i need to get... i am going CUHRAZEEEEE trying to narrow it down to ONE scrapbook album... there are so many choices out there..i should be banned from Googling 'scrapbook album' !!!
I really liked the one on exposuresonline.com.. so pretty..but they don't specify if you can add extra pages etc... maybe I will go to Michaels and check out the various options first.
I will let you know how it goes!! Thanks for your help mamas!! I am so excited!! Woohooo!

amp
05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Rashmi - With a 3 ring binder (I don't favor these either) or a postbound album, you should be able to add pages that can be purchased separately. I am not sure about strap bound albums. Spiral bound albums cannot have pictures added without getting them rebound somewhere that does spiral binding. You can also do journaling on your computer if you don't like to write it. Just type it into word and print it on whatever color of paper you want and then crop it to the size you want. Voila - neat, straight journaling. And you can pick a cute font that way.

ETA: I recommend a cutter (like one by Fiskars or whoever the scrapbook store has). It allows you to cut straight, whereas with scissors, you can't really get things very straight. A straight cutter also has a ruler on it for sizing and it is a much faster cut. You just put your paper on it and slice it.

mmaimp
05-20-2004, 04:10 PM
I also love the one at Exposures but you can not add or delete pages or add page proctors. DS already likes to look at my scrapbooks and page proctors are a must for me but I could not resist linking to that book.

If you go to Michaels look the first day but try not to buy this gives you a chance to decide what you really want your scrapbook to look like. I think Creative Memories, colorbok, or Mrs. Grossman’s albums are better quality than the Westrim Craft ones they sell there. Ebay is good source for Creative Memories albums if you don’t know of anyone who sells it. Creative Memories albums are strap hinge and you can add pages to them. I would not get too involved with supplies if you are only going to make this one album and not have an ongoing obsession like I have.

That said a good paper trimmer like a 12 inch cutter by Fiskers is a good investment. I also use mine for cutting photos to fit in picture frames and separating the photo sheets from our studio pictures. Andrea mentioned journaling on the computer and then cropping the paper to go on your page. I do this all the time and it helps with mistakes, its hard to cover up a misspelled word that is directly on the scrapbook page but not impossible! Don’t forget to put your add your handwriting to some pages, it adds a very personal aspect to the book.

You are terrific with photoshop so I think you would do most of your photo cropping on the computer. So other cutters may not be needed, like circle and oval. Just try to keep true to the style you want, it is so easy to go astray with all the scrapbook supplies available and the cost can get very high, very fast.

papal
05-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Ack! I went to Michaels before i read your email! :(
I can go back for returns tmmrw, let me know what you think of the Canson Post-hinged binder. I got that and some extra sheets for it. That was the only thing that was not a ring-binder. It is not very pretty.. just a white cover. But i SO wanted to start TODAY.. you know how it is.. you start getting excited when you see all the possibilities in the store... i will look on ebay for the Creative Memories ones now!
I also got the small Fiskars cutters.. i will exchange them for the 12" tmmrw.

ETA: Ok, i could not wait till tmmrw.. i wanted to start my scrapbook today!!! So, dh and me just spent the last 2 hours doing 3 pages of the scrapbook!!! Wooohooo! I feel SUCH an incredible sense of accomplishment. It is nowhere NEAR any of the really cool pages I have seen online, but it will do for now!!
We made one page for the Cherry Blossom Festival day...one page for Leela's 6 month birthday-Picnic in the Park.. and one page called 'Look, I'm sitting' with her sitting and with the felt balls we made for her.
This is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

mmaimp
05-20-2004, 10:39 PM
Rashmi,

I didn’t want to stop you from buying an album! Sorry, if you think if will work for you keep it. I have used Canson products before but not a post hinge album. I have made small specialty albums with their spiral bound ones. I would up grade to the 12-inch cutter though because then you can crop 8 ½ x 11 pages, which is much more versatile. Look at the quality of the album you purchased, see if the cover material is securely attached to the inside, you like the way it opens and closes and it just looks good to you over all, it’s a good album.

If you decide to go with Creative Memories you should be able to purchase strap hinge replacement pages at Michael’s to start your album and they will work in the CM album. I often work on scrapbook pages without having the cover picked out!

Michael’s will take competitors coupons too! They sometime have their own 40% off coupons in the Sunday paper but will take coupons from other big box arts & crafts retailers. I don’t know if you have AC Moore’s in your area but they have a 50% coupon in my local paper today.

papal
05-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh Michelle, no worries about the album! I was too impatient to wait sometimes! :)
So, i can fit my pages into a nicer album later??? Wooohooo! I did not realize that. I am pretty sure the pages are 12x12.. they have two punch-holes on the sides and the album has two screws where you put the pages in.. does that make sense? It says it is a hinge-something album.
I am thinking, since the cover of the album is white, maybe I can customize it with stickers, a watercolor or stamps or something.... thanks for letting me know about the coupons.. i never check the darn paper.. i wonder if they will credit me back if i take in my original receiept...hmmm...

Anyway, thanks SO MUCH for all your help mama, i am so thrilled to begin scrapbooking! :)

amp
05-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Yes, you probably will be able to move the hinged pages to another album if you want to. I've always been able to add pages to my albums, so as long as the size matches, you should be fine.

papal
05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Andrea!! I wish we lived close together.. i would so love to get-together and talk scrapbooking and photoshoping etc... and check out all your cool scrapbooking supplies!

kalebsmama
05-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Rashmi,
Sounds like you have made a good start, but here's something else to consider. Creative Memories has a baby album that is white. It has boy or girl pages that go with it that include places to record all the 1st year events with pictures. You can then add blank pages to it to include more photos of whatever. I am currently working on Kaleb's book. (I'm only 2yrs behind!)
I'll attach some pictures of the album and the pages I have done. I am doing a calendar page for each month where I write in things that happened that month, then I add pictures taken during that month.

I hope these aren't too big - I haven't figured out how to resize in Photoshop Elements. Sorry.
Enjoy the scrapbooking - it's addictive!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6549.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6550.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6551.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6552.jpg

Edited because these were HUGE! I went into PE and resized, but what do you resize to? I just messed around a bit! Maybe I should make them even smaller. Help!!

amp
05-23-2004, 12:24 PM
Me too! Are you going to be going to the Chicago retreat?

papal
05-23-2004, 05:25 PM
No, most likely not. I am not even sure when it is! My parents are visiting this summer, so I will be busy with them. It would be so nice to meet everyone IRL though!

papal
05-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh my goodness! Those pages are GORGEOUS!!! Mine are so pathetic compared to yours, i dare not post pictures!!!!

Ok, questions for you:
1. How did you cut the pictures in such nice shapes??? Is there a special cutter???
2. How did you get the colored page behind the pics to have a 'torn' edge??? That looks awesome!!

I love the calendar idea.... i must get those pages!!! Gosh, i don't think i wrote down the dates of many of the 'firsts' though... bad mommy!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your scrapbook, i am getting SO INSPIRED to do better!!!

What kind of album do you have? I noticed there is a metal inge-plate-thingy?? That looks really cool.

Thanks!!

kalebsmama
05-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks, but if you want to see gorgeous, check out www.twopeasinabucket.com No way would I post pictures there!

1. I have a cutting system from Creative Memories that I used to make the shapes. There are some others at Michaels etc. too.
2. I mounted the photos on colored paper, then cut around the photo with decorative scissors. These are Fiskars Deckle (sp?) and I got them at Michaels - love the 40% off coupons!
3. The calendar pages are CM - I've kept a journal since Kaleb was born so it has been fairly easy to fill in the info.
4. The album is also CM - it is their baby album. Check their website creativememories.com - you can find a local person, or buy on ebay.
5. The metal plate with the handprints is from Michaels and made by Memory Makers. They have some neat things for scrapbooks.

Good luck with your scrapbook! Your DD is adorable and any page with her picture will look great!
BTW, do you still have some time to do an avatar for me? I need to find a picture to use first.

Thanks!

papal
05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks Jan for all the info.
I would love to do an avatar for you.. post a pic and i will resize and crop! :)

suribear
05-24-2004, 04:22 AM
I haven't read any of the other responses, but I wanted to share my experience. I started out with a creative memories album. The problem with that style is that you stick pictures onto the page. You can move pages around(front and back) but that messes up two page layouts. I've switched to the top loading type, where you scrap onto the paper and then load the paper into the album. It's nice to have the flexibility to switch layouts around, in case I change my mind or find extra pictures I had forgotten about!

I like creative memories tools (all sorts of cutters, for instance), K and Co. albums and stickers from everywhere! I'm not a fan of creative memories stickers.
Have fun :)

Kris

spencersmommy
05-25-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi! I would suggest checking out scrapbook stuff on QVC. They sell some nice sets with everything included. They usually have a scrapbook hour every month or so and show super ideas! I've been scrapping for a few years and have started ordering stuff from them this spring. The "twopeasinabucket" site has beautiful stuff, too!
Good luck and have fun!
Amy
Mommy to Spencer 6-4-03

durga8
05-25-2004, 02:15 AM
Hi Rashmi, I am not a scrapbooker (yet), though am hoping to be one someday. Here is a great site http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_lnb_gutter/text/0,,HGTV_3938_5265,00.html. I love their home shows and they seem to have some good scrapbooking ideas.

hope to see your pages soon.btw, i love the name Leela, which is also my mom's name.

good luck,
durga8

ps. how does one upload an avtar? i'd like to try to upload a pic of my ds.

papal
05-25-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks Amy.. i do watch that show whenever i come upon it... i am fascinated by all the stuff they sell! But i keep my credit card far far away!!! :)

papal
05-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Hi durga8,
Thanks for the website and for the compliment on dd's name... i was looking for a not-so-common indian name for her and decided to go with something 'old-fashioned'... we love the name Leela. :)

Instructions for loading an avatar are in the Lounge forum ... the topic is pinned at the top. If you need help with cropping or resizing a picture, let me know. :)

durga8
05-25-2004, 01:32 PM
thanks rashmi. will give it a try...

durga8

papal
05-25-2004, 01:51 PM
i resized, brightened and cropped it for you if you like.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6716.jpg

durga8
05-25-2004, 11:04 PM
cool. it looks great! thanks so much rashmi. are you a photo-shopper? i meant to clean in Pshop, but couldn't wait to try it out.

papal
05-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Yep.. i love photoshop!! i used to use photoshop 5.0, but i just downloaded Elements and it is WAY cooler than my old 5.0!! :)

By the way, you sure have a cutie on your hands!

pritchettzoo
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I usually chose a 5x7 or so size for the computer. I figure the screen is 14" so nothing larger than an 8x10.

Did you figure out how to resize in PE okay? It took me a while. I usually crop in Album before resizing in Elements. I find Album's cropping tool to be MUCH easier--and you can get a perfect square without pulling hair! :)

Your album is impressive! I need to get off my duff...

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

durga8
05-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the compliment on Rowan. Leela is v. cute also. I am sure you hear that a lot. Hows the scrapbooking? You'll have to post some pages. I just started using Photoshop 7.0, which is a great update. I want to do a digital diary for Rowan, but haven't gotten around to it. one of these days...

hwin708
05-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Just wanted to offer another suggestion, though it seems you already have a solid idea of what you want to do.
I have become a big fan lately of digital scrapbooking. I always would start the normal awesome scrapbooks, but after a few pages of work trying to cut, glue, arrange, and, hardest of all, be fabulously artistic, I would just stop.
I have found digital scrapbooking to be much easier for me. You can make a page to look just like the crafty pages typical of scrapbooks, all on your computer. Since most of my photos are digital now anyway, this is VERY easy for me. Just crop and edit the image how I want and insert it. Other things I just scan in. I like this for my older DD's artwork, as well, because I can keep the nice originals in an archival box, and scan in a few favorites to have in the scrapbook.
I like to take my pages to kinkos to have them directly printed out on a big, scrapbook sized glossy paper ($2 for 11x11 at Kinkos, though you can do it yourself at home). I do know people who also just use the digital form to basically "lay out" their page on the computer, with no mess, then recreate it the old-fashioned way.
Here is a good site to visit, if you're interested:
http://www.cottagearts.net/home.html
They sell lots of elements and pre-made pages to make it easy for you, but you can generally make anything on your own with photoshop and clip art. Also, when searching the web, you can find lots of people with pages shared that you can use, just by copying the page and inserting your own picture. I have done all these things. I started out designing my own, but then grew lazy (as I always do). I now use other's pages, or occasionally design my own using the cd's from this site. They are expensive though, so I would recommend trying it on your own first.
Here are a few examples of pages I have seen lately that I love, and may try out myself (I should point out that my taste tends to be more "computery", so that's what these examples pretty much are, but it is very possible to create the old-fashioned layered paper look):
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21417&password=&sort=2&cat=500&page=2
http://www.scrapbookjunction.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=599&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://www.scrapbookjunction.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=735&password=&sort=7&thecat=500
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23592&password=&sort=2&cat=500&page=2
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=25017
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=23331
http://www.scrapbook-bytes.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15673&password=&sort=2&cat=500&page=6

HTH!

papal
05-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh my goodness!!! Those pages are INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks so much for pointing me to the website... so inspiring. Now that I am done with Leela's very simple scrapbook.. i think I will do something nicer for our wedding pictures... with some journalling in there... we are already forgetting so many details! I think I prefer to do actual pages, rather than computer-pages.. that way I can take them with me and share with friends etc... but i have got some great ideas from that webpage... totally inspiring!

Thanks again!!

raynjen
06-03-2004, 11:45 PM
I will preface this by saying that I am an independent demonstrator for these folks, but I really like Stampin'Up! products too.

I know from the name that is sounds like just stamps, but I started selling because I love their albums. I probably wouldn't have posted here except that someone mentioned $40-$60 for an album and I about choked. The Stampin'Up! albums are post bound (that is they have the 'bound' look, but you can add pages as needed) and start at $20 (for a 6 x 6 album) and go to $30 (for a 12 x 12 album). They have a lot of cute options too - not just plain white!

Obviously, since I live overseas, I couldn't help you too much, but if you would like more information you can go to their website http://www.stampinup.com/Web2001/default.asp and click on the 'Find a Demonstrator' button on the lower left. This will give you the name of a demonstrator in your area who could help you get started.

If you have any questions I'll try and answer them...

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)