PDA

View Full Version : Sewers: looking for inexpensive machine recommendations

pritchettzoo
05-21-2004, 06:14 PM
I currently have a White el-cheapo whose needle-threader broke within 30 minutes of opening the box. I'm trying to make DD some dresses and it stinks! The pedal is not very sensitive--either GOES or doesn't. I don't need it to do many fancy stitches, just the basics. I'd like to be able to make buttonholes with a minimum amount of cursing and shoe-hurling.

By inexpensive, around $200 (or less!) is ideal.

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

egoldber
05-21-2004, 09:07 PM
This is purely my opinion of course, but I don't think you will find a NEW machine for less than $200 that is worth it.

If you really want a machine for less than $200, I would find a high end sewing machine shop and look for a used machine. A used OLD Singer would be great (not one built since say 1980). Also, used older Elnas are terrific. Used Berninas, Pfaffs and Vikings are also good, but not likely to be had for less than $200.

HTH,

s7714
05-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Did you get it from a dealer you can return it too? Just curious, because I'd be absolutely furious if I bought a machine and it broke that quickly!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annalia 03/03/03

caheinz
06-06-2004, 04:10 AM
A little late, but I've had a reasonably simple Kenmore for... 12 years that I'm happy with. 14 stitches, and buttonholes are pretty easy.

I sew somewhat intermittantly, but I did make my own wedding dress on that machine!

I'm still happy with it.... hoping to get a serger someday to complement it!

Cheryl
& Alex 3.29.04