PDA

View Full Version : Plastic to make a stencil with

barbarhow
05-23-2004, 10:10 PM
We are moving into our new house in a couple of weeks. I want to stencil around 3 walls of Jacks room. The 4th wall (the kneewall-its a cape) will have wallpaper that is little red rocking horses and blue stars on it. I want to photocopy and enlarge the rocking horses and stars and then make stencils so that I can do a border around the 3 remaining wall. Anyone know if I can buy the plastic that they make stencils on? Anyone ever do this? I would so appreciate any tips. I have never stenciled anything so I am a bit clueless. Thanks!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

pritchettzoo
05-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes, you can do it. They sell the stencil plastic (acetate?) in craft and sewing stores (like JoAnn's). Look in the stencil area and in the quilting area. You'll need a good X-acto knife or similar and if you would use it again, one of those self-healing mats would be great. I got a set with a huge mat and a rolling cutter with a 50% off coupon and it was cheaper than the mat alone. If you don't get the mat, use a piece of thick cardboard to protect the surface. I used double-sided tape to affix the photocopy to the acetate and then masking-taped the acetate to the mat so it didn't squirm around on me. Also, before you attack the wall, try it on a piece of posterboard propped up on the wall (so it's vertical). I did that and I absolutely HATED the stencil, so although I wasted a boatload of time on making the stencils, I didn't have to repaint the wall!

Good luck! Post pictures when you're through! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

durga8
06-10-2004, 02:12 AM
i didn't have luck with the stencil plastic too and ended up doing my painting freehand. i took my pages to kinko's and enlarged them on the oversized copier so i had something to work with. i suppose you could trace it out on the wall using vellum too.

good luck!

JennyLynn
06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
I have not stencilled before so take this with a grain of salt.... but the first thing that comes to mind is contact paper, the kind that is used to line shelves/drawers. Maybe that would work - at least it's cheap!

Jenny