PDA

View Full Version : Making a diaper bag... any advice?

JennyLynn
06-04-2004, 06:09 PM
So excited (and yes, very nerdy :P) - I spent an hour and a half in Hancock Fabrics today picking out a pattern and fabric to make my own diaper bag! I got a green floral for the main part, pink ticking for the straps, and pink eyelet for the lining. I must have been in a very girly mood! This is the pattern I picked out (I am making the one on the bottom left):

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/mccallspatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.400004403=x&TI=40022&pageNum=2&M=&UK=33064693

So... as this is my first attempt to sew a non-clothing item, does anyone have any advice? Or, just words of encouragement? I'll post a picture when I am done.

Jenny

luvbeinmama
06-06-2004, 03:04 AM
You are soooo NOT nerdy!! Looks very cute, and I'm sure you'll do just great! Sorry, no advice to offer unless you have a specific question.

JennyLynn
06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
I am attempting to attach some pics of the bag I made. I am pretty happy with it, although I realize now I should have put in more pockets, and I would like it to be a little stiffer/less floppy. It took forever to match up the fabric patterns - if I make another one I will use a more loosely patterned fabric. It was so fun to do something that I enjoy, I haven't sewn since DS was born.

Jenny

khakismom
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Jenny, what a fabulous bag!! I love the patterns--so cute--and the bag looks great! See, it's people like you that give me hope. I am sooooo not domestic but am taking a sewing class this month and want to get a sewing machine to do fun, little projects.

You need to head over to the BBB Yahoo group HomeBiz and start offering your services making dipe bags!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBBHomebiz/

papal
06-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Wow Jenny!! That is SUCH a cute bag! I am very impressed! I can't believe you made that by yourself! Woweee! I am so inspired but I can't even sew a button on straight.. definitely agree with Maureen...make your way to the BBB Biz group!!

JennyLynn
06-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Wow, thanks :D Today my sitter said she was looking all over it to find a tag to see who made it. I definitely have the bug now and want to sew more bags! I have been sewing all my life and it comes naturally to me, but I am useless at pretty much every other craft. I didn't know about the biz group but I will check it out, thanks!

Jenny

LD92599
06-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Jenny that's gorgeous! You're going to inspire me to dust off my sewing machine...but yikes, I don't have time to get to the fabric store, let alone sew something!!

Laura
mom to William

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

luvbeinmama
06-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Jenny, that turned out GREAT!!! Very nicely done! I understand about matching the fabric, but I LOVE the floral you chose.

jupster75
06-09-2004, 01:42 PM
That bag is so cute! I am starting to make my own bag myself. I am hopeful that my bag turns out as nice as yours.

Jennifer, mom to Audrey 11/3/03

yellowdogmom
06-16-2004, 07:45 AM
Hm...I just tried to post and it's gone, I think I hit something when I was trying to do my attachment...so I apologize in advance if I double-post...

Jenny,

I love your bag! I also wanted to than you for starting this thread and posting your pattern info - you inspired me! I looked at other patterns but decided on the one you used. I modified it a little and added pockets on the inside. I have a Whimsical Wears bag I bought during the co-op so I used that as a guide for pocket size on the inside and the weight of interfacing. I also interfaced the lining bevcause my WW bag has it and I like it. I love how my bag turned out!

OK, I'll try adding pics again...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7691.jpg
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7692.jpg

:) Kristin
Adopting #1 from Korea
It's a Boy! Theo was born 1/12/2004!
Awaiting his safe arrival home

Mikesa3
06-16-2004, 11:52 PM
I just wanted to say you did a great job.Mtching small bag is cute too.I have fabric sitting here just waiting to start.I'm nervous about messing up, I just need to start it.I bought a different tote pattern but not sure if I want to use it.I like the one you used.Could you tell me about how big the bag is.I'd probably still need to make it smaller for me.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Mikesa3
06-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Also,I see you have the straps not showing on the outsides.Were they hard to put it? Thanks

yellowdogmom
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi Nancy, the finished size is roughly 12" high by 14" wide by 4" deep. I'm a petite woman and it doesn't overwhelm me like some of the bags do. For the straps I just shortened the straps when I was cutting out the pieces (it is pretty obvious on the pattern piece where the actual strap starts vs. the part that goes on the bag). I also ended up cuttin a couple of inches off the straps once they were done, thus the key loop on the inside! So at the point in the construction of the bag where it calls for sewing the straps onto the outside of the bag I just pinned them in place so I could make sure to include them in the seam between the outside and the lining. When doing my seam I did triple stitch the seam at the point of each strap then the top gets top stitched too, so I'm not worried about the strength. I hope this makes sense and helps!

Mikesa3
06-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes.It made sense.:-) Also I noticed you have the two different fabrics on outside.The pattern just had one (I think) Did you just cut another layer to go over the bottom of bag? Thanks

yellowdogmom
06-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes, I just cut an extra chunk of contrasting fabric to make the strips at the bottom (I also cut the base of the bag from the contrasting fabric). I ironed a hem on one edge and top stitched it to the main piece before constructing the bag. I also shortened the pockets to match up with the contrast strip (if the contrast was the same height as the pocket it looked disproportionate to me...I just eyeballed the "right" height for the contrast).

Have fun! Be careful getting addicted...I made my 2nd one this weekend and cut out two more! Help, I'm obsessed!!! LOL!

JennyLynn
06-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Kristin! Wow! That is TOO cute. Now I am dying to go back to the fabric store and do it all over again, including some of the improvements and ideas you came up with. I told my sitter that I would sew one for her if she picked out the fabrics - it is always so interesting to see what fabric combinations other people come up with. I adore your combination - did you use upholstery weight fabric or lighter weight? Is it 100% cotton? You said you used interfacing on the bag and the lining, did you use stabilizer also?

One thing I would recommend is spraying the whole thing down with ScotchGard... my first one is already getting some dirt on it.

Inspired again,
Jenny

yellowdogmom
06-21-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi Jenny,

The exterior is a cotton spandex blend, so it has some give. I ended up having to use fusible interfacing on the part for the straps to stabilize for making them, I just used what I had on hand for it, but my straps are awfully stiff. The interior is 100% cotton broadcloth. The next one I made is 100% cotton quilting fabric. This time I did fusible interfacing on everything, then another layer of interfacing for stability since the fabric was so light. guess I just went with my instincts based on the fabric weights. I haven't tried a heavier decorator weight yet. Good Luck! :)

Mikesa3
06-22-2004, 12:18 AM
I'd like to see pictures of your 2nd bag too.I finally have my first cut out,at least most of it.I still have to cut the straps and the inside pockets.I'm using the tote pattern I already bought but changing it to add outside pockets.I hope it works.BTW did you buy the clip for the small bag at a fabric store?

yellowdogmom
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Yep, I found the clips in the notions department. They had them in gold and silver and a couple of different sizes.

I'll attach a picture of my latest one.

Adopting #1 from Korea

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8111.txt

Mikesa3
06-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Very cute.:-)I should get off this computer so I can work on mine.I bought some button covers at Walmart today so I can make a matching button to use with a loop at the top.

yellowdogmom
06-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Let me know how the button works out, I can't wait to see a picture of your latest creation!

Adopting #1 from Korea

twofallbabies
08-06-2004, 05:49 PM
I LOVE your bag!! Isn't it the one on the bottom right of the picture on the pattern you linked, though?

Jessica, mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
21+ months...

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

luvbeinmama
08-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Yes it is. And on the pattern envelope it's on the upper right (go figure!). Also, I found that the amount needed for the contrasting fabric is listed wrong on the website, so go by the pattern envelope instead. I bought 1/2 yard per the website, and needed 7/8 yard for the length on the straps. Of course, if you change the straps like yellowdogmom did on her black/dotted one, you won't need 7/8, but you will if you stick with the pattern on that.