PDA

View Full Version : Pattern's for crib bedding?

WooChx
06-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Has anyone made their crib bedding? If so, did you use a standard pattern or make up your own? I really only want to make the bumpers & skirt.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-11-2004, 05:52 PM
I made bumpers and the skirt. One thing I found, though, was that I didn't use the bumpers - reason being, the baby's crib was in our room, and I didn't like that I couldn't open my eyes at night and see him. I took the bumpers off so that I could see into the crib without getting up.

For the bed skirt, measure the crib bottom (spring part that the mattress sits on). Get a piece of cheap fabric and cut to this size. My skirt length is 15" - so double the length and width measurements of the crib dimensions. Hem the two short and one long sides. Gather and pin to the cheap fabric and sew. When done, it should look like an opened up box, with four pieces of fabric sewn around the main piece.

For bumpers, I slipcovered one that my mom gave me - but basically, it's four thin pillows (use quilt batting). Make some fabric or bias tape ties. POsition the ties at each corner, plus the middle of the long strips.

I think it took me about a full day to make these two items. I'm not a great sewer, but since this is straight lines, no problems!

Good luck,

jasmine_bay
06-11-2004, 07:03 PM
I made my crib set with a pattern from Vogue:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.7245=x&TI=20017&pageNum=6&M=&UK=32708034

The crib skirt is pretty easy to make. You can follow the directions from the PP, or wait for a $.99 sale at Joann Fabrics and pick up a pattern then.

If there is a Hancock Fabrics near you, you can buy what they call "bumper batting" with directions on how to make the bumper on the package.