PDA

View Full Version : Ink for Handprint

icunurse
06-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi!
Every month since we adopted our son I have taken an ink pirnt of his hand. And every month the battle begins to remove the ink from his hand. I have tried "Child-Friendly" ink and even a spray to remove ink, and yet I am still scrubbing away. Any suggestions or tips?
Traci

SeekerMage
06-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Have you tried using babywipes to get it off? I use baby wipes for just about everything! Its amazing what those things get out...scary too since we use them on our little ones tushies! Other then that, what about just giving him a bath and letting him play in the water a while after an initial wipe down...usually a long exposure to water will do the trick too. HTH!

icunurse
06-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Yep....we tried baby wipes. When I used to work in a NICU, we just used lotion to get the ink off. Must be the ink. I'm planning on stopping when he gets a year old....only 8 more months! :) Maybe we'll try your tip and just give him a good soak....can't hurt.
Traci

Jen in Chicago
06-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Jude has made a variety of handprint and footprint projects since he was born. The best ink I tried was actually a white embossing ink pad that was bought at Jo-Anne's Fabric. I bought a kids stamp pad from Stampin Up (??????? - that at home party company, I am not sure if I am confusing the name with a stamping store in the area) and it did not come off as easily.

They actually recommend cleaning your stamps with baby wipes, magical things!

FYI fun projects we have done while you have babe all inked up....
Plain old handprint and footprint greeting cards (Write your message across the handprint)
Halloween- ghost made out of a footprint and googly eyes
Turkeys- like we all made in gradeschool
Christmas Trees- handprint
Heart- two feet prints attached at the heel

For Father's Day we made handprint flags on mugs.... The hand in blue is the blue part, then I just painted the lines.

At a pottery store I saw reindeers with the hands on top for antlers(sp?) and handprints as Angel wings.

icunurse
06-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Great ideas! DS doesn't cooperate too much with the handprints right now, but I'm not one to give up! :) I tried doing a footprint the first month and it went so poorly that I decided a footprint every 6 months would be just fine!
Traci

Jen in Chicago
06-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Footprints in the exersaucer were easy... those were the days! I have tried the highchair, but not as good.

Joshuasmommy
06-30-2004, 08:59 AM
I put a handprint on DH's fathers day card and I used some rubbing alcohol to clean off the ink. I just soaked a cotton ball and rubbed it on his little hands and then washed them afterwards. I had to get it off completely or DH would have wondered why Joshua had blue hands.
Those are some great ideas, Thanks!

megulis
07-04-2004, 08:30 PM
My first footprint I did was when my son was at the end of his nap. Make sure he is sleeping heavily when you do it. He didn't even stir; he just kept sleeping even when I cleaned him up with a wet towel! Just make sure you have plenty of supplies with you--multiple hand rags to clean his hands, multiple pieces of paper in case one doesn't turn out well, etc. After I do the print, I put clear packing tape over it just so it doesn't smudge.

Have fun!