PDA

View Full Version : Were your wool balls fuzzy?

pritchettzoo
06-20-2004, 10:28 PM
I made one by hand just to see how it turned out before I ruined a whole batch--I squeezed and squeezed and dipped and dipped, and it's a solid piece now, but it's still fuzzy (think staticky hair in winter fuzzy). Do washing-machine made ones come out less fuzzy? Should I keep working it? Has anyone tried this with a front-loader? I think they're supposed to cut down on agitation/friction, so I don't even know if it will work! ACK!

Debbi, if you're reading this--I MADE ONE! AREN'T YOU PROUD? ;)

Anna

houseof3boys
06-21-2004, 02:27 PM
I might pass out from the shock of it.....get me some oxygen.

Hope you get some answers! I want to make balls too but if Mrs. Crafty has challenges, then Mrs. Crafty Challenged will have major probs. :)

Your Proud Friend,
Debbi

rrosen
06-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Anna,
I really hope someone will answer you on this one. I have a huge box of beautiful wool from Abi that I am planning on making into felted balls. My MIL is going to do it with me. She felts quite alot (I have many, many hats from her) so I figured she would know what she was doing. I would hate to ruin this gorgeous wool.

nitaghei
06-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Anna,

All the balls I made were slightly fuzzy - like a nice wool sweater that's somewhat worn and rubbed. The ones I hand made are slightly more fuzzy than the ones I did in the machine (I have a top loader, though). But nothing like staticky hair :) Just try working it some more and see if that helps.

I made a total of 10 balls, BTW, and I'm planning to felt a big sheet and try some needle felting (instead of working on the law review article I need to get out in August :P ).

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

papal
06-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Anna,
The ones we made have a fuzz-consistency of a yellow tennis ball (top load washer). The ones we made by hand came out pretty awful.. i don't think we worked them enough but the wool was all loose and did not felt very well.

miki
06-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Anna,

I have not tried the balls but I've felted several bags that I knitted. I did it in the washing machine and some came out fuzzier than others. It depends on the kind of wool and the colors. When I thought my bags came out too fuzzy, I just shaved them with the electric clippers we use on our dogs. Smoothed out the felt very nicely.

P.S. My friend who sent me the roving I have sitting around for this project said not to let babies or pets play with these balls unsupervised as strips of fiber can still get loose no matter how tightly you think you've felted.