PDA

View Full Version : Sewing question

jasabo
07-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Someone posted a link to Amy Butler's new pattern on the diaper bag page, and I'm inspired now. I want to try sewing one. But I wondered about interfacing. My Ella and WW's all have interfacing, but it doesn't look like the AB pattern calls for it. I don't even know what interfacing is, except that it makes the bag stiff.

Does anyone have any experience sewing a bag? Is interfacing necessary? What kind do you recommend?

TIA!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

BTW, I tried to look for past posts on this, but my computer is only showing one page for crafts, which is weird.

luvbeinmama
08-01-2004, 02:43 AM
The interfacing may or may not be necessary depending on 1) the fabric you are using 2) how "stiff" you want the bag (do you want it to hold shape? 3) it may add to the durability of the bag.

There are several different kinds of interfacing: Sew-in & fusible, different "weights", fleece, etc.

So really you could use any or none at all depending on how you want the bag to be and what fabric you choose. For example, if you are using a pretty heavy canvas or denim you probably don't need any or would use a lighter weight one. If you are using a lightweight fabric and don't want the bag to collapse into "mass" every time you put it down, you would probably use a heavier one. And the pattern may make a difference, too. If the bag is more intricate you may not want to deal with the interfacing or just put it on the main pieces. The sew in kind you have to baste to the fabric before sewing the pieces together, the fusible kind, you iron onto the fabric prior to sewing or prior to cutting whichever is your preference.

I probably confused you more now. HTH a little!

megulis
08-03-2004, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the good information. I tried embroidery and interfacing is very important but am very clueless.