PDA

View Full Version : JennyLynn - I finally finished my bag!

luvbeinmama
08-05-2004, 02:16 AM
So I added inside pockets and an outside pocket, and I love how it turned out! Take a gander:

This is the outside, where you see the snaps on the straps, that's where the top of the outside pocket is.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10313.jpg

And the inside pockets are working out very nicely!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10314.jpg

Thanks so much for the pattern recommendation! I sooooo needed a new bag!

megulis
08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
It's absolutely beautiful!!! So are you going to make me one because I am the first to respond??? ;)

luvbeinmama
08-06-2004, 02:22 AM
LOL! Well you have so many pouches & slings, are you sure you have space on your shoulder for a bag? ;) Actually I may make one for our next MOMS Club fundraiser, but I don't think I'm ready to go into business sewing them! It's really not difficult. The hardest part for me was figuring out how I wanted to do the extra pockets and the contrasting strip on the bottom. If you check out yellowdogmom's bag, (http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=84&topic_id=532&mesg_id=532&page=) she made the side pockets the same height as her contrasting strip, but since I only wanted 2" on the bottom in the denim, that would have been silly and I think the two don't have to be level anyway. Her side pockets are too short for what I want. It can make a difference depending on what bottles/sippy cups you are putting in there.

Mikesa3
08-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Very nice job.Great sewing.I'm still working on mine.I could never make these to sell.It's taking weeks.Changing the pattern has made it take so long for me.How did you do the elastic pockets?I decided not to try them on my 1st bag.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

luvbeinmama
08-08-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks! Yeah, changing the pattern is the hard part, but really you are adding to or switching parts. I did the inside elastic parts the same way as the outside side pockets, just on a larger scale, KWIM? So I made one big pocket all the way across and then on one side I sewed down the middle to make 2 large pockets for dipes & wipes and on the other I sewed about each 1/3rd of the way to make 3 pockets. I really just eyeballed the 3 pocket side, and the lines helped to make it even. I think I subtracted about 1 1/2" from the width of the side pattern to get the length for the elastic, and it's not really tight, but I like how it came out. Actually the harder pocket to plan was the outside flat pocket as I had to measure the height I wanted, add the 2" contrast at the bottom, line it (I used some really lightweight thin slick material I had on hand), and add the false straps and the snaps. Check out the diaper bag directions and you will get a better idea of what to do to the tote pattern. Also, if you like the snap closure on top instead of the tie, I just took a scrap and guesstimated that piece. You just put it in the same place as one of the ties. Me, I'd rather snap than tie, thus the change.

JennyLynn
08-09-2004, 01:22 PM
luvbeinmama:

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on the boards in a while. Your bag looks SEW great... haha... stupid pun ;)

After I made my pink and green one I made another one for my babysitter. It went so much faster the second time (about 6 hours instead of the 10 it took to make the first one). On the inside, I did elasticized pockets on one side and flat pockets with a pen slip on the other side. And I added some snap clips for pacifiers or toys.

I am actually thinking about selling bags and other baby accessories as a business. So I keep thinking about ways to make this bag better and faster. I have been looking at other handmade bags and I notice that most don't have the four-sided construction, they have two main pieces of fabric and then the bottom end corners are mitered to give the bag shape. I think this alone could shave an hour off production time. Also, after using my bag for a while, I have thought of several improvements that I would like to make. Who knows, it may not work out, but it will be fun!

What did you use to make the bottom more sturdy? I ended up using a plastic placemat I bought at Target because I didn't like the idea of cardboard.

Jenny Lynn

PS - I love your couch!

jasabo
08-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Your bag is beautiful!! You should be very proud! I just bought my first diaper bag pattern this weekend, and am cutting out the pieces now. It's so exciting!! I love seeing everyone's pictures for inspiration!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

luvbeinmama
08-09-2004, 02:02 PM
I didn't like the idea of cardboard either. Actually, I used a piece of plastic that was used as packaging on something I bought a while ago. LOL! I don't remember what I bought, but I kept the sheet of plastic figuring I'd use it for something (bad packrat, bad packrat!) and I had just put it in the trash when you posted about the bag and I thought it would be perfect for the bottom. When I measured it, I thought it would be way short, but after the bag was made it turned out to be not bad, so I used it. I have a little more, but if I make a few more, I don't know what I will use. The placemat sounds like a good idea.

abigailsmom
08-10-2004, 11:10 PM
My mom made us a first aide bag and she used a flexible cutting board cut to the right size in the bottom covered in material. It's the kind of cutting boards that come several in a pack. The nice thing about it is that I can take it out of the bottom and wash it and let it dry and I can throw the rest of the bag in the wash. I will try to post a pic tom.

luvbeinmama
08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
That sounds good! Do you know how much they are and where to find them? Do you take the board out of the material? I ended up tacking down my bottom piece to stay down better, I'm wondering if I should have done snaps or velcro. Maybe I'll add that. Thanks!

Dscvrlifewith3
08-13-2004, 07:50 PM
That is a good idea about the plastic placemat, I suggest ppunching holes in it however and tacking it to the interior bottom so it doen't move around alot. Also the only problem, if you do this as a business, is that often plastic bottoms do erode at the fabrics unless you use heavy canvas or outdoor fabrics on the botton.

twofallbabies
08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
A question for the expert...

Kim, what do you think of plastic needlepoint canvas for supporting the bottom? Any experience with this? Not neccesarily for a business, but just for my own personal use. TIA!

Jessica, mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
21+ months...

Mia Bella's Gourmet Soy Candles:
http://www.bettersoycandles.com

Dscvrlifewith3
08-18-2004, 09:45 AM
Tack it in well with some hand stitching not unless you can sew right through it.

I have used it before (or something similar)The only concern I have is it rubbing the fabrics and eventually coming through. So maybe some batting on the edges would prevent that.

Kim