PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about stamping...image of my first attempt attached

deborah_r
09-07-2004, 03:27 PM
My mother gave me all of these stamping supplies, and I thought I would try to make all of my greeting cards instead of buying them. So I tried to do one yesterday, for a "congratulations on your new baby" card. I'm not sure if the results are even good enough to send, but I've attached it for your viewing. I'm worried the inside text looks as though I have kidnapped their child and this is the ransom letter, LOL!

What are the "tricks" to stamping? Where can I find do's and don'ts and how to make good designs?

TIA

macassi
09-07-2004, 06:00 PM
No advice, but I can so relate. In fact, I usually purposely make my letters look skewed (e.g. one up, one down, one up...) just so that it looks like I meant it since I haven't figured out how to make it precise. I have the same trouble with scrapbooking letter stickers, even if I draw a stupid pencil line.

ellies mom
09-07-2004, 11:38 PM
I think they are darling. About the only advice to give, because I have to do it all the time, is wipe off the edges before you stamp. I can never ink or stamp straight down so I always get that extra stuff if I don't wipe.

I buy magazines sometimes for ideas and info. It's a lot of fun to make your own cards, but I noticed that I save no money. Still I think it is nicer. My Mom has all the handmade cards I've sent them.

papal
09-09-2004, 10:02 AM
An excellent first attempt!
Now i have not gotten my stamps yet, so take this for what it is worth.. but some advice (SINCE YOU ASKED).
I think the outside looks like there is too much going on. The pink duck block stamp, the flowers,etc and there are too many different colours... it might look more pulled together for example if you used coloured card-stock and used just one or two colours... here is a quick sample... there is pink cardstock, then a yellow cardstock and then a white cardstock.. on the white one you can put a main stamp (baby, stork...) or an embellishment even.
There is something called Versamark which you can stamp with, basically the stamp will take on a darker shade of the cardstock (like the duck blocks)... like when you spill water on paper.. does that make sense?
If you want to get even fancier, you can add ribbons and what not.. but sometimes simple is the most elegant.
On the inside, i would handwrite if possible.. just to add a personal touch... just my opinion!
Oh Deborah, do you know you can use marker pens to only get part of a stamp? Let me know if this makes no sense..lol... i was amazed i did not think of it before he stampin' up lady showed it to me! :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12658.jpg

Jen in Chicago
09-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Practice makes perfect. You will learn to stamp and not get the corners on. If you do, so what! My thought is it adds character and someone knows you made something for them : )

I have saved a lot of money by making cards, or buying blank cards and using them for all occassions.

Simple is best, and easiest! I like to do just one stamp on the front, and them carry a theme though the card.

I have posted my "cheap" ways to making cards before, but if you can't find the post let me know. I am always looking for the cheap way to do things, I rather spend $ on Jude that other things.

deborah_r
09-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far! A technical question: do I need to clean the stamps after each time I stamp, and with what do I clean? I was thinking about that question before, and then thought of it again when Rashmi mentioned using markers to get part of the stamp, I was wondering if you would clean after doing that part before doing your next color for the rest of the stamp?

amazz
09-09-2004, 05:54 PM
YES!! Clean your stamps! This makes them last so much longer and ensures colors don't get muddy from the last stamping job. I use a cleaning solution from Stampin' Up!, but I think you could just use water if it is still wet. I would use an old rag or sturdy paper towel to help clean and dry them. If you have stamps that have dried ink, I might still try the water and if that doesn't work then they are probably not going to mess up your other colors. I would just start washing them after the next use.

As far as the markers go, you can use multiple colors at one time on a stamp. (Is that what you were asking?) For example, if you are doing a flower, you can use red on the bloom and green on the stem at the same time without a problem. (One hint my demonstrator gave me was to breathe hot air on the stamp after you use the marker--you get a truer color--who knew?!) If that didn't answer your question, ask it again in a different way (if that is possible) so my preggo brain can get it. :)

Angela
EDD 10/15/04
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

jec2
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I think they look great! Good job :)

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to admire.

ellies mom
09-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I clean my stamps before a color change or when I'm finished. I use a solution like the one by Stampin' Up that Rashmi mentioned or I use baby wipes.