PDA

View Full Version : Got the Funky Monkey!

jec2
09-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Now I just need something to make. Eek, I bought this fabric while on vacation because I just LOVE it. Thing is, I don't really sew. I was thinking some little flannel pants (maybe reversible?) or something. Any suggestions on which patterns are easy AND cute? (I did look at the sewingpatterns.com and saw a kwik sew pattern or two that might work but am open to suggestions)

http://www.fabricdepot.com/catalog.aspx?ItemKey=6648

I bought a total of three yards (1 yard each of three different prints).

Bethann31
09-08-2004, 11:26 PM
I would make a bag of some sort, either a diaper bag, or a purse or something. That should use about 2 of the yards, after you line it.

I have been making LOTS of bags lately (or at least partly making them) does that count? I just made this one in a fun pink/orange fabric. It can be a backpack, but doesn't have to be and it's a pretty easy pattern to follow.

From:http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/images/products/large/LGD116.jpg

Chelsea (LGD116)

Chelsea is a wonderful combination of a tote bag & a backpack. She's a little of each with a whole lot of personality! Measuring 14" tall with an 8" square bottom, you can wear her over your shoulder with one strap or unzip the strap & she's a backpack. Cinch her closed by pulling the shoulder strap through the loop & you're ready to go!

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030604/3/4/1/-5/.png

deborah_r
09-09-2004, 12:07 AM
No sewing suggestions, sorry, but those are really cute fabrics!!!

tina-t
09-09-2004, 01:46 AM
How about a stroller blanket? You can use a chenille on the opposite side. And you don't need a pattern.

BTW, those are really cute fabrics.

californiagirl
09-09-2004, 02:29 AM
Elastic waist pants for babies are really, really easy. Like, I've done a pair in an hour, start to finish, and I'm not that speedy. There are only two pattern pieces in most patterns!
Reversible would make it a bit trickier, and you might well want a pattern specifically designed for that if you aren't a brave improviser (I'd have to think on how to get the waist to look right). Overalls are not that much harder; if like me you hate buttons, use snaps or use a pattern that has elastic straps. Note that the flannel may be a challenge to put on as overalls, so although that shows off the fabric better, it may not be the best choice. Pants and a jacket perhaps? You could do contrast cuffs and collar... Do a pair of pants in design A with design B as contrast, a pair in design B with design A as contrast, and the jacket in design C with either A or B as contrast (or collar in A, cuffs in B).

jec2
09-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Ok, good to hear that pants are easy peasy. What pattern(s) have you used? I like the idea of contrast cuffs. I was thinking I might do this rather than reversible as reversible probably bumps up the complication factor a few notches.

jec2
09-09-2004, 05:52 PM
I might try this for finn. I'm having somebody from here make one for my friend's shower because I want to make it look nice but for my own DS I think I can venture into trying to sew a blanket :)

jec2
09-09-2004, 05:54 PM
what a cute bag! I think I want to use this fabric for DS but might be tempted to try this pattern for myself :)

jec2
09-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Aren't they the cutest? I originally saw them a couple of weeks ago when Mudpie Babies posted a couple of diaper sets at Middayfaire and was dead-set on finding it. I stopped in the cutest fabric store up in Oregon and they had GREAT fabrics and yarn and stuff. I didn't buy the fabric at first but walked around thinking about how I loved it and finally just went back in and bought some to make something.

tina-t
09-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Juliet, where in Oregon did you get the fabrics from? I am going to be in Portland for a few days next week and was wondering if you got it from a shop in Portland. I would love to get some for a blanket for ds.

Thanks.

californiagirl
09-09-2004, 07:22 PM
I do most of my sewing for DD out of KwikSew's "Sewing for Baby" book. The drawings are *awful* but the patterns are good and they have lots of suggestions for customization. I'm not sure they have an appropriate jacket pattern though; I've done sweaters but not out of woven fabrics, always knits with knit collars.

jec2
09-10-2004, 12:18 AM
No, I didn't find it in Portland. It was in Sisters (about 3 hours away from Portland in the Mts.). But, the store has a website, albeit not the best, www.stitchinpost.com The store is great, however and for a small town, I think it is a gem. I quickly looked at there site today and didn't see the funky monkey, but you could probably call and have them send it to you. Oh, the fabric is made by this company http://www.modafabrics.com I looked on their site too http://tinyurl.com/4mggq I don't know whether you can buy from them directly, but they have a "find a retailer" option.

tina-t
09-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info!