PDA

View Full Version : Ease of use of stained glass products?

eb1
10-18-2004, 11:19 AM
This is slightly off-topic, as it's not a baby-related project. We have a very narrow window panel parallel to our solid front door. The window runs the full length of the front door. I hate that anyone can walk up to our front door and look through this window in to our living room. I'd like to do a simple stained glass treatment (a couple of colored diamonds set off with leading from a frosted background), but I've never attempted anything like this and have no idea what I'd be getting into.

With a quick internet search, I see that a product called Gallery Glass is available, both for leading and colors. Has anyone used this or another DIY stained glass kit? Are the kits easy to use and do the products look professional when completed? For instance, is the color applied with a brush and if so, does it leave streaks? Does it run or drip (I would be using it on the window, already installed)? If I mess up, is it easy to remove (and if so, does that mean it also tends to degrade after time or because of routine cleaning)?

Thanks in advance!

bchafin
10-18-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi. I use gallery glass all the time. I have French doors that go out to my deck and didn't want to cover them up, so I did gallery glass. You do not use a brush, just squeeze from the bottle. They also make plastic molds(I don't know what to call them) that can give you textures. I used those. If it is wet and you mess up, you can wipe it off. After it dries you can scrape it off with a razor blade. I do reccomend using the redi-lead strips, they are so easy! I will try to take a picture later and show you my doors. My doors have been done for @ 3 years now and no problems. I also did my mother's doors and she has had it up for @ 6 years.

Barb

eb1
10-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh, wow, thanks for the info! I'd love to see a picture if you can post one. You've given me the courage to try this!

bchafin
10-20-2004, 09:32 PM
I tried to take a pict. tonight, but it is too dark outside and you can really tell what it is. I will try again tomorrow during the day.

Barb

bchafin
11-02-2004, 08:56 AM
I know it has taken me forever to post these picts and I am sorry. You have probably finished your project, but I didn't want to leave you hanging. I hope these help. Also, I'd love to see picts of your window when you are done!

Barb

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16225.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16226.jpg

hjdong
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
This is a fairly old post, but I rarely come to this area. I just thought I would let you knwo I have exactly the same problem and did exactly the same thing about 10 years ago. It worked great - until last week when DS decide to peel off all that he could reach. Since we're moving in a year or so, I'm not going to fix it, but it might be something to think about if your child is an inquisitive toddler.