PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on stenciling/painting a mural in nursery ?

Lynnie
10-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Hi all,
I'm the kind of person who has tons of ideas, goes out and buys the materials, then gets too busy and is too unorganized to really ever complete a project, but pictures of nurseries in another folder inspired me to try again with another project, even though i just returned to work outside the house (i'll get to the scrapbooking and christmas photo card making later...then will sew all the christmas fabric i bought FOUR years ago into a quilt....)

so, here it is: I'd like to paint some big things on my son's nursery wall. Like animals or firetrucks, or something. And maybe on my toddler's wall too....lion king, etc. i had ideas, really i did, but i am forgetting them at the moment (at work on lunch break, and have been on this board whole time instead of eating)

Anyone have any advice as to where to start looking for stencils ? Or would an overhead projector work as well or better - DH has access to one i think.

And then, you just trace it in pencil, and paint in the lines, right ? and it wouldn't take that long ??

thanks in advance for any help.

lynn

ps if anyone has any tips or can direct me to a post on photo christmas cards, that would be great too. i have some software, but can't do it. have spent countless hours trying. and failing.

safarimom
10-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Here are a couple of resources for painting & stencil designers. For projection stenciling, Linda Buckingham has 2 books that tell you how to do it. http://buckinghamstencils.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=172
http://buckinghamstencils.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=238

There is a also a site called www.stencilsearch.com where you can search pretty much every stencil designer's catalog by typing in what type of stencil you are looking for. It's a pretty neat resource.

Sorry I can't go into more detail right now about the painting, but I'm on the way to the hospital for an induction tomorrow. Best of luck in whichever method you decide to use.

wookiewoo
10-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Congrats on being so motivated after going back to work! I don't think I would get any painting done now that my little one is here, but I'm easily distracted anyhow :)

I painted the Forever Friends bear on our walls and my daughter's name above the wall. I used the overhead projector and was really pleased with my results. The only tip I would have would be to use a paint pen to do your outlining rather than trying to use a brush and steady hand. It took me forever.

I've never had much luck with stencils, but I'm sure that's because I have no clue what I am doing. I just bought some acrylics at Michaels on the cheapo, used my husbands projector from work, printed out the picture I liked off the internet and traced it onto the clear paper, taped it onto the projector, did a LOT of adjusting to get it placed right on the wall and traced it onto the wall. Be careful if you will be painting light colors or on a boldly colored wall, it took several coats to cover the lines up for me.

I really love the results. I can offer up more help if you need it but it's pretty straight forward and it sounds like you are quite crafty yourself!

HTH
Heather

wookiewoo
10-20-2004, 10:50 PM
I meant to link to this post I put up pics of what I did before.

http://tinyurl.com/5uqsp

Heather

Lynnie
10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
thanks !

but, no, no, no, i am NOT crafty, that is the problem. see, i get these great ideas but then never really follow thru... as my friends and husband put it, my eyes are always bigger than my stomach (i always take too much at buffets too....)

so lack of time and lack of ability always seem to throw a wrench into my plans. but this time is different ! and i am going to do the stencils/projections, and i am going to post a photo here !

i think your tips will help alot, but i would not be offended in the least if you offered any others. really. the fabric for the quilts, the paint and letters to make their names on the wall, the solarveil fabric i bought to make sun suits with, etc are all stuck up on the top shelf of the closet. i am motivated to start projects, then life somehow interrupts, and since i don't know what i am doing anyway, well..... i am a wanna-be-crafty-person ! i personally am impressed by the person who actually posted advice to me on her way to going to the hospital to oh, have a baby....

anyway, i digress. thanks so much for your tips and i can't wait to start and FINISH this project !!

Mikesa3
11-04-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi Lynnie.I just wanted to say you are not alone.I'm the same way.I have all these great crafty ideas,buy the stuff and either never start or don't finish.I was so proud of myself when I finished a diaper bag tote a few months ago.It took me about 3 months but it was worth it.:-) I like the idea of using the overhead projector to paint designs on the kids rooms.Hmm..maybe my next wannabe project.LOL BTW I have some solarveil fabric too.The only thing I've done with it so far is make a sling which my ds didn't even like using in the pool the one time I tried.Is it just craft projects or are you like me and disorganized in other ways?
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Lynnie
11-05-2004, 09:22 AM
I am like you ! The only place I am organized is at work - and only with my work, my desk is a mess !! but i am trying to get better....but i have been forever ! (i do tidy the desk up every night before i leave, and am quite proud of that)
you MADE a diaper bag tote ?! wow. ok, i am inspired to do this mural thing !! ... and, i do have all that fabric i could make a tote with. if only i could find all the parts to my sewing machine!

ok, nancy, (that's my mom's name, feels wierd to use it for someone else!) next time you start, finish, or get the idea for a project, let me know, and then i will cheer you on when/if you finish ! :-)

Mikesa3
11-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey Lynnie.My next project is a Taggie type pillow for my 20 month old.It should be a simple project.I'm using fleece I bought 2 years ago just because it was cute and on sale.LOL I've bought some ribbon but want to get a couple more different colors then I can get sewing.:-)
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

ALLEYCAT
12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
very cute