PDA

View Full Version : Make your own luggage tags

Jen841
10-28-2004, 10:08 AM
I love what I bought from Tag Your It, but all I can think is "I could do this myself." They laminated printed piece of paper and put a loop on it. Are there kits to do this? Can I just go to Kinkos and get these done?

Any ideas?

I want to make them for everyone on my Christmas list so they will come visit us in our new house : )

I found these, think it is a good deal? http://www.keysan.com/ksu0606.htm

wookiewoo
10-29-2004, 03:30 PM
I've never gone to Kinko's for laminating but I would think that might be cheaper. I don't know if you get to do the laminating or if an employee does or which would even be best!

The main advantage to those you found at the keysan website would be that you could update information on the cards (but maybe you want to make sure they keep what you made for them?) I know I have seen laminating sheets that you can just stick together yourself, not sure how stiff they would be to hold up for traveling...

My only other idea would be to check in the luggage dept. of local stores, like Target or Walmart. Maybe they would have a similar product?

I think you have a really great idea if you have travelers in your family! I know I would love to get one!

HTH

Heather

wookiewoo
10-30-2004, 07:14 PM
I happened upon these tags at the new Super WalMart when we went to check them out. They were about $4 for 5 tag covers! Just an FYI

Heather

ellies mom
11-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Yes, you can go to Kinko's. They only charge a couple of dollars. I made "badges" with DD's picture for both DH and and my father's badge holders for Father's day. Does that make sense? The laminated picture hangs in back of their work badges so they can show off DD.

Jen841
11-29-2004, 09:49 AM
I used a lot of materials on hand, but the cost of this is minimal. Here is what I did, and my lessons learned:
1. Printed names and addresses on business card stock (had a box that was more than 4 years old sitting around.) Used a mail merge to do them all at one. ----cost cutting idea, used the business card template in Word and print onto cardstock). If you use cardstock you will want to cut them to the size of business cards, or you can use a fun scrapbooking stencil and make then into whatever you want.
2. Glued with a glue stick a 'design' to the back of the business cards. I recommend something thick. You could use another business card. I used some extra cardstock I had. I was going to use some scrapbooking paper, but I wanted the thickness. I considered stamping something on the back, but I did not have my supplies readily available.
3. Went to Staples and had the cards laminated. You can put 8 on one sheet (leave space around each so they get sealed.) I helped the man line them up since I made around 64. Staples charges $1 for a sheet (8.5x11) to laminate, or you can do a business card size for $.49 each. The business card size is thicker so you would not need the extra sheet of cardstock with it, but I was not willing to spend $30+ on this project.
4. Cut out the tags with a papercutter (leave about .25 inch around each tag so you don't loose the seal)
5. Punch the tags with a paper punch (The plain old round one worked)
6. Attach a piece (or 2 or 4) of 12-18 inch ribbon to the tag with a knot.

Due to supplies on hand, this all cost us $8 in laminating, and we made 64 tags. We now have something to give to everyone at the family parties that we hope they will use. I made about 10 for us to attach to luggage, diaper bags, strollers, etc....

What I will so different next time.... I may make some fun shapes from the tags for baby gifts using cardstock not business cards.

ALLEYCAT
12-01-2004, 08:19 PM
can you post pics of what you did?

Jen841
12-02-2004, 09:11 AM
I will try tonight or this weekend, my digital pictures are normally too big to post on here.

They look like a business card with a ribbon tied to them.