PDA

View Full Version : Burp cloth question

lizamann
10-28-2004, 08:20 PM
What kind of diaper should I buy to make cute burp cloths? I've already bought the decorative cloth and coordinating trims, but now I need to ge the actual plain burp cloths. Where can I get these? I know I can't get Chinese prefolds because of the ugly colored stitching on them, and the birdseye ones from BRU are just too thin and icky. Do I have to make them myself? I really just want to buy the things and decorate them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

pritchettzoo
10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
You can find DSQ (Diaper Service Quality) prefolds at BRU and other baby stores. Supposedly these work fine for burp cloths and they're MUCH nicer than the birdseye ones. I would recommend getting Indian prefolds--the colored stitching denotes different sizes. There is one size with neutral or white stitching (depending on whether you get bleached or unbleached); I forget which size it is though. Indian prefolds are sooooooooo much softer than the Chinese ones. I bought a bunch from Granitesmith on ebay--I just emailed her and told her what I needed.

Have fun making them!

Anna

NYSarah
10-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I've been making burp cloths for friends for a while, and instead of actually buying diapers I use high-quality birdseye pique fabric (this stuff, specifically -- http://diapershop.com/be100.htm -- it really does fluff up and become super-absorbent). I think I use 4 layers but I don't know where my notebook is so I'm note sure. You could also use diaper flannel, which is really soft, or any other diaper-making fabric.

If you don't want to bother with fabric, I second looking up Granitesmith on ebay and getting a diaper with white/cream stitching. Or, just sew trim on over the stitching if you have to get a diaper with a color of stitching you don't like!

wookiewoo
10-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Now you've got me thinking about making burp cloths to match some of the other things that I have made for my little one! This board is such a bad influence!! :)

So now I'm curious, what exactly makes the fabric a "diaper" fabric. I'm not familiar with cloth diapering and was wondering how this would differ from a similar woven fabric or flannel from say JoAnn's? (I have a 20% off entire order coupon I'm planning on using next week)

TIA

Heather

NYSarah
10-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Ooh, I have the same coupon, I've been working on my Joanns shopping list all week!

Be careful, the madness never stops -- my goddaughter has a huge set of matching stuff I made her: lap pads, changing pads, burp cloths, blankets, practically everything... ;)

For me, the results have been best using fabric specifically meant for diapers -- it's higher quality 100% cotton, usually processed a lot less and designed for absorbency. I have used flannels and fabrics from Joann's for trims and backing, but for anything absorbent I have found nothing at Joann's that comes close to the quality of the stuff I've bought from diaper-sewing shops. Most of the things I've bought (organic flannels, birdseye, sherpa terry, quilted knit cotton) you can't even find in a regular fabric store. Also, most diaper-sewing supplies have PUL or pro-care or similar which is great for backing lap pads or changing pads without the ickiness of vinyl.

Now, for prints and knits, I would stick with Joann's for the most part, I like to see those things in person and there's always a Joann's coupon in my bag. But the diaper-specific stuff, definitely worth getting the stuff online (but be careful...it's easy to get addicted!)

kwc
10-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Oh boy, something I can help with!!!!

I made some with the Gerber birdseye prefolds about a month ago for a friend... while they do get softer and puff up a bit after washing, they are not even close to as thick and absorbent as Chinese prefolds (we use a diaper service... for diapering and previously for burp cloths). This friend had actually registered for a 6 pack at BRU, so I bought a 12 pack and sewed flannel borders on 2 of them after washing. Next time (if there is one), I might just ignore the registry and buy Chinese prefolds.

Here's a couple of pics of them next to one of the ones that I received as a gift for DD (embroidered, I think made with a premium prefold so even more luxuriously thick than most cpfs)... I don't think there is much comparison... though they are a bit beat up now, the embroidered cloths were one of my favorite gifts. On the other hand, one of my girlfriends (who uses the same diaper service and is mom of a reflux baby!) says she actually prefers her (decorated) birdseye burpcloths (not from me!) because they are thinner and easier to cram into tiny folds and corners of tiny necks, noses and mouths! One other thing to consider, is that if you prefer a "cleaner" look, they will stay flatter and not "quilt up" as much as the plusher Chinese prefolds.

Hope that helps!

Karen

Yikes! Edited to remove freakishly large photos, wil try to resize!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16007.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/16008.jpg

wookiewoo
10-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Ok now I've got another question... those are soooo adorable! Did you do the embroidery yourself? Maybe I am confused about which is the gift and which you made?? I'm looking for enough reasons to justify getting an embroidery machine... a girl can dream right?

TIA
Heather

lizamann
10-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone! I think I actually like the birdseye prefolds - the ones I mentioned I don't like were flats (horrendous, I know). I like the flannel prefolds, too. I think DSQ might be a bit much for what I want to do.

Now my next decision is whether or not to wash the diapers and trims before sewing to account for differential shrinkage. Do you think that matters? The thing I have against that is that they might not then look new enough to give as gifts.

lizamann
10-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Very cute! Thanks! BTW, I have bib from that bacon 'n' eggs fabric and I love it!

Hmmm, now to decide between cushy, luxurious, and puckered (CPF), or flatter, less absorbant, and neater looking (birdseye)...

NYSarah
11-01-2004, 11:49 AM
I pre-wash all fabric before making gifts, and let the recipient know everything is pre-washed and pre-shrunk (in baby-safe detergent, etc). It's always very appreciated!! If it was a gift for someone I didn't know well enough to be sure that was alright....well, actually, I wouldn't be making handmade gifts, then.

Any fabric that looks even a tiny bit shabby after one pre-wash is not a fabric that should be used on baby stuff anyway. Most of the time, you can't even tell things have been pre-washed.

Jen841
11-02-2004, 09:02 AM
I was addicted to making these for a short bit. I found the ones from Sears to be soft, thick and absorbent. They were not the best deal, but they were the best diapers.

I would sew ribbon on them, but flannel . They were so much fun to make I will make more when I unpack my machine, and get it fixed.