PDA

View Full Version : Fusible interfacing?

MariFP
12-17-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi!
I want to do some embellished jeans for DD and I know I have to fuse the fabric to it. I never did it before and I was wondering what kind of interfacing should I use and how to use it (this is what I need right?)
Can anyone help me?
TIA!

ellies mom
12-18-2004, 03:29 AM
What you are looking for is a paper backed fusible adhesive, it may be called a fusible web. Typically interfacing is only fusible on one side, where the fusible web is more like a sheet of glue. It should be in the same section of the store as the interfacing. An employee should be able to help you find it. If you are planning on sewing or doing decorative stitches over it, you'll want the lighter sewable fusible web. If you don't plan on doing any sewing, then get a heavier nonsewable web. It will come with instructions on the protective paper, but it is easy to use. Remove one side of the paper and iron it to the fabric patch. Remove the second side and iron it to the jeans. You will probably want to use a scrap cloth to make sure you don't accidently get glue on the iron. That sucks. If you want to take extra care, an extra scrap to protect the ironing board can come in handy sometimes too. Good luck. I'm sure the jeans will turn out darling. You'll have to post pictures when you are finished.

MariFP
12-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Thank you so much Veronica! That does make sense. I tried with regular interfacing and it did not work :P duh.
I will get this fusible web and try again. Any brand I should be looking for?
Thanks again! I will post picture of the result once it is done!

Bethann31
12-18-2004, 09:39 AM
I have had the most luck with Wonder Under (which comes in reg and heavy duty, I believe) and Steam a Seam for narrow things, like if I don't feel like sewing on a piece of trim.

Both are available almost everywhere.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

ellies mom
12-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Beth. I didn't know any specific brand names. I just grab what I find. I love the hem tape. I've made curtains with that stuff.