PDA

View Full Version : shower crafts

melonkelli
01-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Do you have any ideas for crafts that can be done during a baby shower? During my shower my friends made a set of Alphabet Cards which line our son's walls.

The woman being showered may be moving to a new house, so she isn't interested in getting decorations for a room. I was thinking some kind of book. But what can 25+ guests work on that will be fun and safe for a baby? Any suggestions?

kelli

ellies mom
01-04-2005, 04:12 AM
Maybe you can make scrapbook pages? I shop at a scrapbook store that is always having shower parties. I'm not saying you should have the party at a store but it's one idea.

Another idea would be to have the guest use fabric paints to decorate squares of cotton fabric with fabric paint and then have it made into a quilt for the baby.

Ok, one more idea that I can think of on the book idea would be to make either an alphabet, number, color or combination of the three book. When DD gets a bit older I'm going to take pictures of her with things, such as a bunch of apples for A, and then make an alphabet book for her. I'm just going to laminate the sheets and put them on a ring. Having the guests in the pictures would be really cool too.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with. I'm sure it will be great fun.

heidi_timms
01-04-2005, 08:52 PM
This is not really a craft for guests to make, but in my circle of friends, we like to create a sign-in page as a guest book that's on a scrapbook page. This way the Mom-to-be can add it to her book later(we all scrapbook). I recently went to another shower (this friend does not scrapbook) where they had a blank book and the book had tiny envelopes on all of the pages. Each guest wrote a message to the baby on tiny notepaper sheets and tucked it into an envelope in the book. It was also a very cute idea.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

cma
01-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Buy little socks, hats, onesies, T-shirts, booties, etc and have the guests decorate with fabric paints.

String up a clothesline and use clothespins (I painted wooden ones with pastel colors) to hang up the finished products. The clothes will now have a safe place to dry, your house will be decorated with a baby theme, and everyone will love looking at all the cute stuff!

And if anyone feels too shy to draw anything...encourage them to write cute baby sayings on onesies or hats or draw tiny hearts or flowers on socks.

This keeps people busy, baby gets some cute clothes and the mama-to-be will have some great memories.

Good Luck!

Jen841
01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
I love all of the ideas so far, and am trying to think of some of my own....

What about cooking? Make casseroles/freezer friendly thing to stock the freezer. As a favor everyone could go home with the recipes. You could assign people to bring ingredients, and they will all be guessing what you will be doing with what they bring. Make things in containers that can go directly into the freezer.

Scrapbook a calendar so all that is needed is a picture of the baby for each month. Be sure to all of the guests birthday's etc. b/c as a new mother it is easy to forget those.

Make a 1st year scrapbook. We received a mini-album to put a picture of Jude each month of the year for his first year. The first few pages were "The Day he was Born", "His Room", "Coming home".... June, July,... I displayed it at his first birthday party.

SeekerMage
01-08-2005, 12:09 AM
ARG! I just typed a huge long post and it was eaten! Ok...here are some ideas...

I second the idea for the onsies or quilt, but instead of paints get fabric markers. They are easier to use, less mess, and dry quicker. Not only that but they are much softer and as if nothing is on the fabric. You could do a whole layette for baby from onsies, wiggle pants, hats, booties, recieving blankets (everyone can write messages on them) (carters outlet is a great place to get the stuff!)

For the book idea....take card stock, decorate it with stickers, stencils, and markers in themes (abc, numbers, shapes, family pictures, animals etc) then have them laminated at Kinkos and either bound together on a ring or used as flashcards.

The last idea was a painting project. Get a large set or two of wooden blocks (Ikea has nice ones with different shapes for cheap) and get water based acrylic paints. Everyone can paint them different colors, designs, and messages. When they are all done spray them with a clear non toxic sealent and you will have a nice fun set of blocks! You can even get a big paper mache box to have a few people paint to store them in.

Other then that, check out your local craft store...there are lots of ideas especially things to paint, or scrapbooksing ideas as well. You can even do things like making cards for mom instead of baby so she has nice coorespondence cards. Just because its a babyshower doesnt mean it has to be baby related!

neeter
01-11-2005, 10:11 AM
We did a painting project at my shower. We got wooden blocks from Michaels, sanded them down, and got acrylic paint. Everyone got a number or a letter, and it was so much fun to paint!!

Another idea is getting wooden hangers and doing the same thing.

We just did an "activity book" with felt for my friend's shower. If you go to Marthastewart.com, type in "quiet book" and she outlines the project.

Good luck!